ARGGH!!! Long cycle after BCP!!!

scotchbonnet

Reaction score
So I am now on CD32 and still no AF. Apparently I am going to have long cycles off the pill. I went to my Gynae and he did a ultrasound. He says my lining looks thick so he expects I should be getting my period soon.

In addition I did some tests recently and the results say that my prolactin levels are high. The doctor gave my a prescription for DOSTINEX. TWO TABLETS!! LOLLOL Yes two!! I am supposed to take half a tablet every 7 days for weeks. Then he will test the prolactin levels again. If still high they will do CT scans or MR scans. Apparently prolactin is produced in the brain and it affects ovulation and can cause long periods....

Watching how this pans out. My period does feel like it's near though....

I'll be tyrying to chart this month so that I can have a better idea of what's happening......

I'm anxious and apprehensive......

I mant I am supposed to take half a DOSTINEX tablet every 7 days for 4 weeks...

Good luck hun, i had long cycles after coming off the pill initially but then they seemed to settle at around 30 - 32 days (still quite long but within the norm!). x

Mine seem to have gotten shorter since coming off the pill, before the pill I was every 28 days, now it seems to be every 24 days or so.

Hey Vickie - at least with a shorter cycle, there is less waiting time between AF and ovulation! My friend recently told me that her cycle varies from 26 days to 42.

Wow Poppy, I'm glad my cycle lengths don't vary like that, I think I'd keep the HPT industry in business if it did and drive my DH up the wall at the same time :rofl::rofl:

42 days that's a nightmare!! Lets be thankful we are at least having them my friend has been off the pill 12 months still no sign of her periods! I always try to find the positive side of things lol!

oh yes i go mental i wait 50days before i test coz they do take the piss af being so lng relate to stress work home life and being off pill im sort of getting use of it with nearly been off pill 10mths

52 days! You could be two months preggers and not know about it by that time!

Oh well, it's good to ask for your prolactin levels to be checked if you are having irregular periods or if they you are having VERY long cycles....I never knew about this until two days ago. Apparently its common and goes undiagnosed.....well I'm on this Dostinex now and I wait - still no AF yet.........

52 days! You could be two months preggers and not know about it by that time!

i no but i am never am i work in sales its very stressful i dont get my hopes up when im late i just stil and wait i have patience and do understand its hard but getting used to it xxxxxxx

Oh well, it's good to ask for your prolactin levels to be checked if you are having irregular periods or if they you are having VERY long cycles....I never knew about this until two days ago. Apparently its common and goes undiagnosed.....well I'm on this Dostinex now and I wait - still no AF yet.........

im looking this up on the internet and its to do with being pregant having extra milk and stuff could u give me a bit more infor please

Justtried to send you my details but you can't accept private messages.

Okay - prolactin is responsible for kicking off your ovulation. It is produced in a gland just under the brain. When you produce too much prolactin it gives you either irregular/non-existent or long cycles. Some women have normal cycles but they are not ovulating and some women who do ovulate, if they pregnant they can't keep the pregnancy healthy because their luteal phase cannot sustain it because of the low progesterone (maybe) and high prolactin.

It can be treated and DOSTINEX and another drug (cant remember name) has been proven to keep it down so that pregancy can occur and be maintained.

If they dont test for it, they won't know. But if you have long/irreglar cycles it is worth asking that your prolactin levels, your progesterone levels be checked.

Some women get checked by MRI scan and realise that they have a benign tumor. It is not as bad as it sounds. LOADS of women have this and dont know. It only becomes an issue when you start getting miscarriages and find it hard to get pregnant because of it.

I have found a very informative group on this if anyone else wants to know I can send you the link to the board.

Justtried to send you my details but you can't accept private messages.

Okay - prolactin is responsible for kicking off your ovulation. It is produced in a gland just under the brain. When you produce too much prolactin it gives you either irregular/non-existent or long cycles. Some women have normal cycles but they are not ovulating and some women who do ovulate, if they pregnant they can't keep the pregnancy healthy because their luteal phase cannot sustain it because of the low progesterone (maybe) and high prolactin.

It can be treated and DOSTINEX and another drug (cant remember name) has been proven to keep it down so that pregancy can occur and be maintained.

If they dont test for it, they won't know. But if you have long/irreglar cycles it is worth asking that your prolactin levels, your progesterone levels be checked.

Some women get checked by MRI scan and realise that they have a benign tumor. It is not as bad as it sounds. LOADS of women have this and dont know. It only becomes an issue when you start getting miscarriages and find it hard to get pregnant because of it.

I have found a very informative group on this if anyone else wants to know I can send you the link to the board.

thanks that really helpful do u just ask the doc to do the test

Hey - I addd you my buddy list on here - but still cant send:

Yes - just tell the doctor that you would like to test your prolactin levels. Especially if you have had a miscarriage and you ahve irregular periods or long cycles.

Check out this board as well:

https://www.pregnancy-info.net/QA/answers-high_PROLACTIN_levels

Yeah I do.....but how do I send you my handle I don't want to put it straight out on here ? :) Or send me yours in a PM and i will add you ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->