aromatherapy can you explain it to me please

missmayhem

Mummy to 2 little cuties
Reaction score
can somebody please explain how i can use this in labour, what oils do what?

Well there are three main ways to use oils, one in a bath (not so sure if this would work in labour, even if your having a water birth its probably not the best idea to put the oils in. However you could use them this way in early labour).

You can use an oil burner and you can use it a message oil, rub into your bump and back, if you want to do that, you will need a carrier oil, almond is fantatsic! but i usually use baby oil, i have loads of the stuff and it works great. Infact a friend who does aromatherapy as a job now uses baby oil after i was saying thats what i use, dont know if she does for clients but for herself she is really convinced.

https://www.naturalbloom.com/articles/aromatherapy-47/

This site has which oils and good and which to avoid

brill thanks hun, i was going for the massage route, plus oil on a hot cloth to inhale

Clary sage is good for labour but you must not to use prior to 37 weeks.
I am a qualified aromatherapist and to be honest the only two oils I am using are Lavender for relaxation and Clary Sage to help with labour and hopefully bring on contractions. I use almond oil as my base oil, but as stated baby oil also works fine.

I tend to use the oils in a bath and for massage.

I'm really silly - I thought you burned the oil, but its for massage/bath only?

My MW recommended I go to the local health store for advice on oils. Was hopeuflly going to do that this morning, but I don't want them to advise a load of (expensive) oils I don't need!

Just a warning: whatever scents you use during labour, don't use them in any way you can't get away from unless you have a way of removing them (i.e. don't put them on your skin without some rubbing alcohol to remove if necessary, don't fill the whole room with a scent). My MW brought a few oils with her, and offered one for me to sniff just before a contraction. It smelled lovely, so she massaged some (in a carrier oil) into my arm. Seconds later a contraction hit and instantly it smelled awful and I wanted to escape it. Luckily my MW was prepared and wiped it off very quickly with rubbing alcohol. I'd recommend putting scents on cloths or something else that can be taken away if you feel like it.

i was planning on using the bedtime baby oil (its got lavender in it) but is it strong enough, i love the smell of it, i used it a lot when i broke my back, as i found the smell made me relax, meaning my muscles weren't tense and the pain eased! but i am sure it used to smell stronger, would i be safe to add a few drops of lavender in with it? i have many bottles of it upstairs as there was an offer on locally 25p a bottle.... and i use it as a moisturiser!

jasmine is really good for labour, lavender and tea tree is also very relaxing, im sure cary sage is always recomended, im a right smell aholic lol and love to smell nice things like oils and airfresheners, i know ur not supse to use clary sage or jasmine til ur bout 37 weeks, but the lavender is fine iv been rubbing lavender oil into my bump for a wee bit of relaxation, which i bought from ebay :) u can choose carrier oil of either almond or grapeseed x

i was planning on using the bedtime baby oil (its got lavender in it) but is it strong enough, i love the smell of it, i used it a lot when i broke my back, as i found the smell made me relax, meaning my muscles weren't tense and the pain eased! but i am sure it used to smell stronger, would i be safe to add a few drops of lavender in with it? i have many bottles of it upstairs as there was an offer on locally 25p a bottle.... and i use it as a moisturiser!

I use it too! In fact, I just had a bath and am now lathered in it! I love it, and its sooo much cheaper than any adult version and miles better imo :D

jasmine is really good for labour, lavender and tea tree is also very relaxing, im sure cary sage is always recomended, im a right smell aholic lol and love to smell nice things like oils and airfresheners, i know ur not supse to use clary sage or jasmine til ur bout 37 weeks, but the lavender is fine iv been rubbing lavender oil into my bump for a wee bit of relaxation, which i bought from ebay :) u can choose carrier oil of either almond or grapeseed x

You can use clary sage from 37 weeks. Am going to go tomorrow to speak to the health shop and I'll post back here what they recommend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->