Aromatherapy

KiwiMOM

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has used aromatherapy as a relaxation method in labour? I love incense and scented candles but I've heard your sense of smell goes crazy and I don't want to get annoyed/flustered if the smell is overwhelming and I can't get rid of it.. any tips or stories? I was thinking about adding essential oils to the birth pool but I'm pretty sure I won't want to drain and refill the pool if I don't like the smell.

Thanks?

Tips: Get your hands on a copy of Valerie Ann Worwood's Complete Book of Essential Oils

...If you google it, Chapter 10 has information on aromatherapy during pregnancy, during labor, and post-natal care, and Chapter 9 is all about Essential Oils for babies and children :)

I'm using aromatherapy during labour....
I read on here somewhere a lady suggesting not to burn it as her favourite scent made her feel sick during labour so she suggested using drops on a cloth, that way the scent didn't engulf the whole room and was easier to get rid of...
I thought that was a handy suggestion :)

Tips: Get your hands on a copy of Valerie Ann Worwood's Complete Book of Essential Oils

...If you google it, Chapter 10 has information on aromatherapy during pregnancy, during labor, and post-natal care, and Chapter 9 is all about Essential Oils for babies and children :)

Sounds great, thank you :flower:

I'm using aromatherapy during labour....
I read on here somewhere a lady suggesting not to burn it as her favourite scent made her feel sick during labour so she suggested using drops on a cloth, that way the scent didn't engulf the whole room and was easier to get rid of...
I thought that was a handy suggestion :)

That's a really good idea, I'll put that on my list. Thanks :)

CLARY SAGE OIL.

Make sure it's a good quality though. Omgsh I've never, ever in my entire life ever been that relaxed. I just mixed it with olive oil and rubbed it on my skin and also mixed it with a little bit of milk and put it in my bath. (milk makes it so the oil doesn't just float on the water).

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. that and lavender. but don't touch clary sage til your term or better, in labor. xxx

I'm a qualified aromoatherapist and love essential oils but I don't recommend them for labour unless it's really necessary. I think EOs are very strong for a newborns senses and it's important for mother and baby to smell as nature intended and be able to smell each other's scents. However, as a uterine tonic used as a compress on the stomach it can do wonders for a women struggling with the pain of contractions. I've used this myself and it was great but I was careful to clean it off before bub was born and we aired the room out.

Ooooo uterine tonic used as a compress.... Could you explain further please?
I have lavender, camomile and clary sage... I have some all prepared in almond oil ready for massaging....
Clary sage doesn't really do an awful lot now, when I first used clary sage it bought on some very strong tightenings, I don't get anything now....

That's true, good point also.

I never used mine as scents except lavender but not during labor at all. I mixed mine with a carrier (olive oil) and rubbed it into my skin.

I put 2-4 drops of clary sage essential oil in a bowl of luke warm water, dipped in a cloth, wrung it out and placed it over my abdomen, refreshing as needed.

I then hoped in the pool to birth so most it got washed off but if not I'd have washed it off.

i used jasmine mixed with almond oil. so when listening to my hynobirthing i would smell it and rub on the bump (full term) and it reall really helped along with the hypnobirthing i had the best birth i could have ever imagined no pain relieve and the smell now i can go back and remember everything. soooooo relaxing

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->