"as long as s/he is healthy.."

mom and ttc

Reaction score
i hear that all the time, i dont care about the sex as long as s/he is healthy ... but what is not? what if something is wrong?? we find out the sex next monday and all i here lately is well, as long as the baby is but if not, i will the the sick, boy or girl just as much...

never thought about this saying that much, not even with my dd but it is pissing me off today .. :(

I don't think people who say this mean that they will love their child less if he/she has a health problem. Just that they will be mightily relieved to get the all clear - which after all is the purpose of the scan. Unfortunately some problems that the scan is there to find are very serious ones which might end up meaning no baby at all.

I think all people mean is that it doesn't matter if the baby is a boy or a girl.

I don't think people who say this mean that they will love their child less if he/she has a health problem. Just that they will be mightily relieved to get the all clear - which after all is the purpose of the scan. Unfortunately some problems that the scan is there to find are very serious ones which might end up meaning no baby at all.

I think all people mean is that it doesn't matter if the baby is a boy or a girl.

i know ... just somehow ... i dont know that saying creeps me out today :D i said it before, and it used to never bother me

Well, I don't think anyone hopes for an unhealthy baby. When women say they don't care about the sex as long as the baby is healthy, what they really mean is they care about the well being of their child. They aren't trying to offend the parents of children with special needs, or imply that they wouldn't love their own child if he/she was born with health problems.

I understand what you're saying, but agree with the others. If I'd found out the baby had health problems, I'd be really upset, whereas the sex (if we'd found it out) wouldn't affect me, I'd just be delighted either way. We just all want the best for our babies!

yeah i dont think people mean it to be nasty with this one i said it because my last pregnancy ended in a MC and we didnt care what the sex was as long as we got a healthly baby at the end of it cause we had obviously lost a child xxx

Yep, unfortunately its a fact of life that babies sometimes have problems, and everyone hopes that their baby is going to be happy and healthy.. they want the best possible life for them.. i dont really see the problem with it to be honest?

I say it because I already have a boy and a girl so either way is fine with me. Plus, I would not have cared if my children were the other sex because all I really cared about was having a healthy baby but I still would love my babies no matter what! :hugs:

I've had this said to me before about it bothering another person. I would love them regardless but why ask me what I want?

Other people: "What do you want?"
Me: "I don't care as long as the baby is healthy"...hmmm still doesn't sound wrong...

I say that, but all it means is that I don't care whether it's a boy or a girl because that's what people always ask about.

I say it as I'm team yellow and it's easier than explaining that we like the surprise and it's our choice. For me, I wouldn't care if LO had all the problems under the sun, it wouldn't change how I felt, we'd still have them, and we'd love them just as much.

Sometimes people just need to say something, and it's often a little insensitive. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->