Ask a Mum who uses CLOTH NAPPIES / DIAPERS [28/6 - 5/7]

Yeah I've done the vinegar but these BG inserts were just not getting better, I tried so much. I've talked to quite a few other moms that had the same problems with the BG, I've never had it with any of my other diapers though.

I tried Charlies once, I wrote them about samples because Hayden's skin is really sensitive and the guy that got back was extremely rude so I refuse to buy anything from the company. A friend let me try out enough to do a few loads it seemed to do a good job but I'm not going to buy after how that guy was to me lol. I usually use All Free and Clear, Simply Clean (WAHM made) or sometimes I'll just use whatever just won't use it for a long time so it won't cause build up

That is a shame about the Charlies guy. I have really only ever used BG. I like the AIO, the pockets drove me nuts. I just resented stuffing them each time after washing. Yes, I am lazy. I like to wash, dry, diaper and repeat. :)

Lol I love their BG AIO, but the organic version, I haven't tried the others since it had the microfiber in it I wasn't sure if I'd end up with the same stink problem. But their organic ones with the snaps are great...so trim, I love them. Are those the ones you use? Or the other version?

Can I ask what you mean about spraying the nappies?? I have visions of taking them out the back garden and having to hose them off! :rofl::blush:

How many nappies do you need to start up?

I have first size fitted with wraps ready and waiting. They are meant to do to about 20lbs - I bought 20 on a deal
I also have some muslin squares which I believe can be used as daytime nappies for very young babies and about 6 terry squares - as back up more than anything.
And a couple of one size all in one nappies. I assume this will be plenty for the first few months but let me know if I'm wrong!

I bought 12 flannel fitted nappies second hand to fit from 15-18lb+, i'm not sure what I think of them they don't feel as nice as my others which are more of a cotton terry-style fabric but they were so cheap it seemed silly not too. have you used anything from this type of flannel fabric.

We use Bum Genius and absolutely love them, no problem with smell at all. We have 11 (got one to try and bought ten more) and they last two days, but for the first 6 weeks or so Jack would easily go through 10+ a day. At that point we were using Bambino Mio and had 24 of them with 6 covers, which was plenty for a 2 day cycle.

Can I ask what you mean about spraying the nappies?? I have visions of taking them out the back garden and having to hose them off! :rofl::blush:

Haha nope....they sell diaper sprayers that you attach to the water line of the toilet and you spray it off in there and flush it. Here is one like I have

https://www.abbyslane.com/catalog.php?item=3871&catid=497&ret=catalog.php?category=497

I have first size fitted with wraps ready and waiting. They are meant to do to about 20lbs - I bought 20 on a deal
I also have some muslin squares which I believe can be used as daytime nappies for very young babies and about 6 terry squares - as back up more than anything.
And a couple of one size all in one nappies. I assume this will be plenty for the first few months but let me know if I'm wrong!

I bought 12 flannel fitted nappies second hand to fit from 15-18lb+, i'm not sure what I think of them they don't feel as nice as my others which are more of a cotton terry-style fabric but they were so cheap it seemed silly not too. have you used anything from this type of flannel fabric.

It does sound like you have a good amount, I would think that would be enough...if it were me I think I'd get a dozen more prefolds just in case though with a few wraps. Do you have any covers yet? Fleece pants are actually my favorite over fitted and you can use any from the store as long as the tag says 100% polyester fleece and they will work over them.

I have only ever used one diaper that was flannel, it was a work at home made all in one and I actually hated it...the material seemed ok though it did pill up but the way she made it wasn't that great it took so long to dry, like seriously 4-5 cycles in the dryer. The material itself was ok though...not my favorite. If you don't really care for them I'd probably hold onto them for back ups later and buy some diff ones to try out, that's what I did to figure out what worked best for us and then sold off what didn't to help pay for more of what did

I just ordered some tots bots with wraps to give it a try and Im a bit confused about liners. One of the main reasons Im switching to cloth is I dont like the feel of disposables. So I dont really want to go down the paper line down the toilet route. Ive seen fleece liners where it says you dispose of the poo down the toilet. Well how do I do that with runny poos? I see the spray thing you just put the link up to but I cant have that in my flat because its rented and cant attach anything to anything iykwim.

also what else do I need. Ive got the tots bots bamboozles and PUL wraps. I know I need a nappy pail/bucket and some liners. Anything else?

I just ordered some tots bots with wraps to give it a try and Im a bit confused about liners. One of the main reasons Im switching to cloth is I dont like the feel of disposables. So I dont really want to go down the paper line down the toilet route. Ive seen fleece liners where it says you dispose of the poo down the toilet. Well how do I do that with runny poos? I see the spray thing you just put the link up to but I cant have that in my flat because its rented and cant attach anything to anything iykwim.

also what else do I need. Ive got the tots bots bamboozles and PUL wraps. I know I need a nappy pail/bucket and some liners. Anything else?

That sprayer doesn't really mess with anything, you can take it off and hook it back up when you leave, we did that in our rented apartment too, it was fine there. But if she isn't on solids yet you may not need to even spray the diaper though, I didn't until he was eating solids more. I really didn't use liners often, but when I did it was fleece. You can go to a fabric store and get a piece of 100% polyester fleece and just cut those to the size you need, fleece doesn't fray so you dont need to sew edges or anything like that. Plus it's really cheap so IF the diaper was really bad, couldn't get it cleaned off or something you could toss it and it wouldnt' be a big deal. The fleece liners will help keep the moisture away too. I really only used mine if he was having a bout of diarrhea or something or sometimes in my fitteds overnight since most fitteds don't have a lining that pulls moisture away.

I would personally get some pockets for going out, they are much easier than a fitted and wrap, and more trim usually fitteds can be quite bulky and hard to go under jeans and tighter fitting pants. Fuzzi Bunz are great for that, really trim and easy and last a long time. I think that and the pail liner, oh and a small wetbag for when you are out to put the wet diapers in...I think that should be good for starting out

Sorry to butt in but I just thought I would add: We used to use paper liners with the BMs but stopped with BG. If Jack produces a huge poo (all his poo is runny) I give it a wipe with loo roll to soak up the worst, which I flush before putting the nappy in the pail.

It does sound like you have a good amount, I would think that would be enough...if it were me I think I'd get a dozen more prefolds just in case though with a few wraps. Do you have any covers yet? Fleece pants are actually my favorite over fitted and you can use any from the store as long as the tag says 100% polyester fleece and they will work over them.

I have only ever used one diaper that was flannel, it was a work at home made all in one and I actually hated it...the material seemed ok though it did pill up but the way she made it wasn't that great it took so long to dry, like seriously 4-5 cycles in the dryer. The material itself was ok though...not my favorite. If you don't really care for them I'd probably hold onto them for back ups later and buy some diff ones to try out, that's what I did to figure out what worked best for us and then sold off what didn't to help pay for more of what did

Apart from the wrap covers that came with the nappies I have a couple of fleece covers for overnight.

As for the flannel at £15 for all 12, liners, boosters and 4 PUL wraps I wasn't going to walk away. I only really intend them as back ups anyway...

Yeah that sounds like an awesome deal! I hope they end up to work great for you, good luck with cloth diapering when your LO comes :) Feel free to PM me even after this is over if you happen to have any other questions I might be able to help you with

I'm currently using the Mother-ease Sandy's diapers (which I LOVE) but I'm having trouble finding pants that fit over them. It seems that most of the clothes are designed for disposible *little bottoms*.

Do you have that problem, and where do you buy your baby clothes.

I'm currently using the Mother-ease Sandy's diapers (which I LOVE) but I'm having trouble finding pants that fit over them. It seems that most of the clothes are designed for disposible *little bottoms*.

Do you have that problem, and where do you buy your baby clothes.

I have that problem with some diapers, mostly my fitteds, they seem more bulky. Hayden seems to have a really small butt area lol so it hasn't been TOO big of an issue. Most of his clothes are from Pumpkin Patch and even with his big diapers he still wears 3-6mo in their shorts with room they aren't tight on him at all...he's 21mo. I think the best I've found is theirs but any with the adjustable waists seem to be good because you can let that out and so far all have fit. I also have some custom made pants made my work at home moms, those are my fleece pants. I'm trying to think what other brands are good...Carters work well, I think those 2 and the custom made are the best I've found though. I love that at Pumpkin Patch they have some fleece lined jeans so I put a fitted under and no cover just those jeans and it works great...cuts down on some of the bulk since he doesn't need the extra cover

I never considered how they fit in clothes......I'm loving how much I'm learning in this thread girls! :D

I have stocked up on different types of cloth nappies for the imminent arrival of my little one and really keen on using them.

I have questions about DRY PAILING.
So how do you put the nappies in the bucket/wet bag?
Do you just chuck them in or do you fold them so poo doesn't get stuck to the back of another nappy? or doesn't that matter?
Does it matter if the nappy is wet because of pee or because you hosed it down? can you all put it in the same bucket?
I guess you have to take out the inserts/boosters before you put in the bucket so you're sure everything gets washed properly, right?

thanks for this! I didn't even know there was an ask a mom section! :happydance:

I love this thread! Its perfect timing for me as Im just about to switch and completely clueless. Thanks Mervs Mum and Mommyof3co :thumpup:

I know you didn't start with your first but with the baby you did start using cloth for how old was he when you started? (Does that question make sense?)

Since starting with reuseables have you also used disposables? How often and why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->