• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ask a Mum who uses CLOTH NAPPIES / DIAPERS [28/6 - 5/7]

So how do you put the nappies in the bucket/wet bag? I have a pail liner and when they are just wet I shake out the insert, or unsnap whatever the case my be and toss it in. For dirty I spray it with the diapery sprayer and then put it in there, again in all of its pieces so I just have to dump in the washer when time.
Do you just chuck them in or do you fold them so poo doesn't get stuck to the back of another nappy? or doesn't that matter? I try and get pretty much all of it off, but before solids when we didn't clean them I just tossed them in, I wash the bag turned inside out with every wash so everything is fully clean
Does it matter if the nappy is wet because of pee or because you hosed it down? can you all put it in the same bucket? I put it all in the same bag, I never used a wet pail with the actual water sitting in to soak, certain brands say don't do that. But I have had problems with things sitting in water like that...starts to smell funny, so we have always done it just "dry" in the pail liner...but everything goes in one
I guess you have to take out the inserts/boosters before you put in the bucket so you're sure everything gets washed properly, right? Yep, take the diaper fully apart :)

I know you didn't start with your first but with the baby you did start using cloth for how old was he when you started? (Does that question make sense?) I first bought some at 2mo and used them on and off, I only had a few to try out to see what worked best so couldn't switch full time. That was Dec 07...at the very end of Jan 08 my dad passed away and we had to fly out and he was in sposies the entire time but when we got back in Feb we switched to full time cloth and have been since. I have recently had to use some sposies trying to figure out a rash situation which we've never had before...but until the past 2wks he hadn't worn a single sposie since 4mo :D

Since starting with reuseables have you also used disposables? How often and why? Oops guess I answered that one above haha....right now we are using mostly sposies, had to figure out what was going on, but we will be going back. This is the first time in 17mo he has worn a single one

If money wasnt an issue which nappies would you buy? I would have an even bigger stash of Goodmamas!!!!! I love them but they are $33-35 each, I have actually bought some new in package off sites like Spot's for up to $60 each. They are really popular and go fast...well not so much anymore since she finally built up a good stash, but it use to be when she stocked the diapers it would be a few of each one and they would be gone in minutes and then people would turn around and sell them as soon as they got them to make money..the most I've paid for 1 is $60. But I'd have alot of that, some wool pants, and I would want to try a variety of others that I haven't yet just because I don't NEED them, as I have over 70 diapers...I have a problem I keep buying :| lol

thanks for the advice! It's great to have someone to ask :happydance:

Ok, so if money IS an issue, which cloth diapers would you buy?? :D

Also, could you maybe make a list of the best ones all the way down to the worst ones?

Now...how do we tell people we'd rather get diapers than toys for shower gifts?? :mrgreen:

Ok, so if money IS an issue, which cloth diapers would you buy?? I would get the bulk of my stash as prefolds and wraps/fleece then add in some pockets like Fuzzi Bunz, and maybe a couple fitteds and a couple all in ones

Also, could you maybe make a list of the best ones all the way down to the worst ones? In my opinion in the types of diapers I like fitteds best, pockets, prefolds, all in ones. Most all in ones (excpet the BumGenius organic) take a very long time to dry so that's why I don't like them. They work great I just don't like having to dry them more times. I like prefolds but they can be hard once they are mobile getting a good fit. As for specific brands there are too many to list but any that you have specific questions on if I'm familiar with them I can give my opinion on them :)

Now...how do we tell people we'd rather get diapers than toys for shower gifts?? There are quite a few diaper stores online that allow you to make a registry so I would print out a sheet with the diff addresses to your regsitry and put that in the invites

I use G diapers... its a cloth diaper with a plastic snap in liner and a flushable liner when used. You just take out the liner and flush its all biodegradable and are compostable, they degrade very quickly.

Yeah I've seen those...a good in between thing

I notice you refer to some brands taking more drying cycles etc... Do you always tumble dry your nappies/diapers? Did you intend initially to tumble dry or did it turn out to be a necessity? I am hoping to maximise the environmental and cost impact by not tumble drying - I have a lot of "drying" space and rarely tumble dry at the moment.

I notice you refer to some brands taking more drying cycles etc... Do you always tumble dry your nappies/diapers? Did you intend initially to tumble dry or did it turn out to be a necessity? I am hoping to maximise the environmental and cost impact by not tumble drying - I have a lot of "drying" space and rarely tumble dry at the moment.

When I first started we lived in an apartment with just a back porch and where it was positioned the sun never hit it, so drying in the sun wasn't an option. We did move to TX in Jan and into a house but I've never had a clothes line or anything so I've always continued to use the dryer. But you can def do it in the sun, sunning diapers also lightens stains if you ever have issues with that. Drying in the sun can make some diapers a bit stiffer so I know some people that dry them in the sun then throw them in the dryer just to tumble for a couple min to soften up a bit. The all in ones will take a little longer to dry whichever way it's done just because how most are made...if the inserts are sewn on the outside like this
https://www.abbyslane.com/images/diagramorganicBG.jpg
they dry quicker but if they are like this
https://www.abbyslane.com/images/fulldiagram3g.jpg
Where the inserts are sewn in the inside of the diaper they do take longer to dry.

I've gone for little lamb nappies. I have 24 coming, I need to get a bucket just wondering what else to get. Also curious if you use reusable wipes too?

I've gone for little lamb nappies. I have 24 coming, I need to get a bucket just wondering what else to get. Also curious if you use reusable wipes too?

I'm not familiar with that brand so I looked it up, are you using the fitteds or pockets? If the fitteds make sure you have a few wraps as well. I would get a bucket and pail liner, smaller wetbag to use when you are out, that's really all that you would need to get started. I do use cloth wipes as well :)

Ive got the fitted. i think I will get some pockets for out and about but not decided on brand. I like finding my ebay bargains. I got some fleece liners and 6 wraps with the nappies, not sure if i'll need more wraps.

Ive got the fitted. i think I will get some pockets for out and about but not decided on brand. I like finding my ebay bargains. I got some fleece liners and 6 wraps with the nappies, not sure if i'll need more wraps.

I don't think you'd need more than that as you don't have to change the wrap each time you change the diaper :) Fuzzi Bunz are a great pocket diaper! They are my favorites

Iff you couldn't get fuzzi bunz which other 1 or 2 pocket nappy brands do you like?

Im on day one of my cloth adventure today with tots bots fitted and wraps. Thanks for the advice, I shall let you know how I get on. x

Ohh wow what a very informative thread! So much so you have convinced me to change to cloth nappies too!:happydance:

Ive gone for this as it seems to have everything that I need to get started.
Also ordered 2 extra bamboozle fitteds and an extra wrap.
https://www.fill-your-pants.com/product/85/109/your-complete-nappy-kit--plus-

Is there anything else I will need? Will 15 be sufficient for a while? Do you have an experience od the 'one size ones?'

Thanks!!

Iff you couldn't get fuzzi bunz which other 1 or 2 pocket nappy brands do you like? I loved my BumGenius 3.0 before I had the stink issues, but I used them for months before that. Also TKCuddlers are great and made by a work at home mom here is her site
https://hyenacart.com/tkcuddlers/index.php

I have also heard really great things about Happy Heinys and Blueberry but I haven't personally tried them.

Im on day one of my cloth adventure today with tots bots fitted and wraps. Thanks for the advice, I shall let you know how I get on. x

I hope you like them and it works out great for yall!

Ohh wow what a very informative thread! So much so you have convinced me to change to cloth nappies too!:happydance:

Ive gone for this as it seems to have everything that I need to get started.
Also ordered 2 extra bamboozle fitteds and an extra wrap.
https://www.fill-your-pants.com/product/85/109/your-complete-nappy-kit--plus-

Is there anything else I will need? Will 15 be sufficient for a while? Do you have an experience od the 'one size ones?'

Thanks!!

15 will probably be good to wash every other day, def enough to get you started and you can add 1-2 here or there as you think you need them. That looks like a great deal though, I hope you like them :) Which did you choose...the BG or Wonderoos? Most of my diapers are one sized...they work great for us. It might be a bit bulky on him now...depending on his size but will be better in the long run since they do last so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->