Ask an unassisted homebirther

silver_penny

triandem nursing 3 and pg
Reaction score
I just wanted to open up a thread for people to openly ask questions. I recently gave birth unassisted after an unassisted pregnancy. If anyone has any questions on the process, feel free to ask away!:thumbup::flower:

Here is the link to my birth story, if you would like to read it as well: link

Hey

I read your birth story and thought it was an amazing experience. I actually thought it was illegal though, I read a story recently where a couple were prosecuted after their baby became stuck during delivery and they didn't take medical help.

I'm not having a homebirth (I will next time) but having a natural birth in hospital instead so I hope you don't mind me asking questions for my own curiosity!! Please tell me to go away if you'd rather not as I don't want to be rude - I just love reading and learning.

Who did you have at the birth and did anyone have any medical training in case of an emergency? What would you have done if, for example, the babys shoulders were stuck, the cord prolapsed or the placenta would not come away? Did you have your own doppler or anything to monitor the baby during labour? Did you have any training on how to check the cord for loops etc. before the final pushes and did you have any equipment for resuscitating your baby or any training on this?

How did you know your baby wasn't breech? Did you ever consider having a midwife or doctor present but asking them not to intervene unless necessary?

Thanks xxx

EDIT - sorry i didn't mean that i thought your actual birth was illegal, i meant i thought to refuse medical assistance for a birth or pregnancy was illegal?

Did your doctors have your pregnancy on record?
How did you do pre-natal tests yourself? what are they?

Sorry for the silly-sounding questions, just curious!

Congrats!

Do you think you would have still gone down the unassisted route if you had been in the UK with a (at least meant to be) decent community midiwfery and home birth system?

Hey

I read your birth story and thought it was an amazing experience. I actually thought it was illegal though, I read a story recently where a couple were prosecuted after their baby became stuck during delivery and they didn't take medical help.

I'm not having a homebirth (I will next time) but having a natural birth in hospital instead so I hope you don't mind me asking questions for my own curiosity!! Please tell me to go away if you'd rather not as I don't want to be rude - I just love reading and learning.

Who did you have at the birth and did anyone have any medical training in case of an emergency? What would you have done if, for example, the babys shoulders were stuck, the cord prolapsed or the placenta would not come away? Did you have your own doppler or anything to monitor the baby during labour? Did you have any training on how to check the cord for loops etc. before the final pushes and did you have any equipment for resuscitating your baby or any training on this?

How did you know your baby wasn't breech? Did you ever consider having a midwife or doctor present but asking them not to intervene unless necessary?

Thanks xxx

EDIT - sorry i didn't mean that i thought your actual birth was illegal, i meant i thought to refuse medical assistance for a birth or pregnancy was illegal?

Don't worry, I don't take offense easy!! :haha: Which is one reason why I created this thread, so people could candidly ask questions.

There were five people in the house while I was giving birth: me, DH, DS1, my MIL and FIL (we live in the same house). However, only my DH was present in the room when I gave birth. My FIL has had a ton of medical training throughout his life. He is very well versed in CPR and emergency medicine.

I studied thoroughly on the what-ifs and was very confident that I could recognize an emergency should it arise. For example, if the shoulders were stuck, I would have gone to the hands and knees position. It helps open up the pelvis and rotate the baby. In the case of a prolapsed cord, more than likely I would have transported to a hospital, along with the case of a retained placenta. We have emergency services that can reach our house in less than five minutes.

We did our own prenatal care. I took my BP and weight on a weekly basis, as well as checking my urine at home. We monitored baby with a stethoscope, as we don't believe in using ultrasound technology on our baby. (personal choice, no offense meant to anyone who does!)

As for checking for loops, its unnecessary in most cases. In fact, our LO did have the cord around his neck but as he came out in one push, there was no time to check for it!!

I knew my LO wasn't breech by where I was picking up the heartbeat. (It was way down in the pelvis. However, I would not hesitate to deliver a breech baby at home, unassisted, so it really didn't matter to me.

I did consider having a mw present... for about one second. My previous birth experience put me totally off the one in my area, and I feel that even their presence causes a difference in the birth environment. The feeling of being watched has a profound effect on my body, and would have changed the birth experience completely.

Hope that answered your questions... keep them coming! :flower:

Did your doctors have your pregnancy on record?
How did you do pre-natal tests yourself? what are they?

Sorry for the silly-sounding questions, just curious!

I didn't go to a doctor at all throughout my pregnancy, so no, its not on their records. Some states, though, require proof of pregnancy to get the birth certificate. Mine doesn't.

I kept track of my weight and BP, did my own fundal height measuring, and bought urinalysis test strips to check urine levels at home. :flower:

Congrats!

Do you think you would have still gone down the unassisted route if you had been in the UK with a (at least meant to be) decent community midiwfery and home birth system?

I honestly couldn't say if I would have or not, as it was my previous birth experience that brought us along this path in the first place. However, with that being said, I don't think I would ever go back to a mw now. :flower:

I also respect your decision and sorta don't want to pry to much but I am curious to know details... In regards to emergencies you said in regards to shoulder dystocia's you would get on your hands and knees... Did you have anyone around you trained to do the specific shoulder dystocia maneuvers (eg McRoberts, clavicle breaking, etc)?, did anyone train themselves to manage breech babies just in case (eg Loveset maneuver)? what did you have planned terms of managing a postpartum hemorrhage? At what point would you have transferred in for blood loss? how did you assess blood loss? What medical training does your FIL have? Did anyone have specific training in neonatal resuscitation (as it is quite different then regular child/adult cpr)?

Also how frequently did you listen to the fetal heart rate while in labour?

Did you have difficulty registering baby's birth certificate? Did you have to allow a medical professional to do a pelvic check to ensure a baby came from you (it's been done...)?

Amazing story to read.

Scares me a little b/c that particular maneuver for shoulder dystocia that you mentioned did not work for me and he was very close to dying, but things worked out great for you and I'm glad you got the unassisted birth you wanted.

Sorry if I missed it, but will have you another?

Oh, and how is the tandem nursing going?? That must be tough too!

I also respect your decision and sorta don't want to pry to much but I am curious to know details... In regards to emergencies you said in regards to shoulder dystocia's you would get on your hands and knees... Did you have anyone around you trained to do the specific shoulder dystocia maneuvers (eg McRoberts, clavicle breaking, etc)?, did anyone train themselves to manage breech babies just in case (eg Loveset maneuver)? what did you have planned terms of managing a postpartum hemorrhage? At what point would you have transferred in for blood loss? how did you assess blood loss? What medical training does your FIL have? Did anyone have specific training in neonatal resuscitation (as it is quite different then regular child/adult cpr)?

Also how frequently did you listen to the fetal heart rate while in labour?

Did you have difficulty registering baby's birth certificate? Did you have to allow a medical professional to do a pelvic check to ensure a baby came from you (it's been done...)?

We were not specifically trained in the maneuvers to say, but we invested in the book "Holistic Midwifery" and had areas marked with the maneuvers. In regards to pph, I would have transferred if I started to feel weak, dizzy, lightheaded, or faint. I do have a 15 month old who is still nursing, so would have also done nipple stimulation that way to produce natural oxytocin to help with bleeding, as well as having herbs at hand to reduce the bleeding as well. Honestly, there was no assessment of blood loss. I did pass a few large clots but we did not measure them. My FIL is law enforcement, and had medical training through them. I have also had training in infant/neonatal CPR.

During labor, we did not check fetal heart tones. There were a few reasons behind this: 1) Active labor was fast 2) we wouldn't have the mw check fht if we had one present 3) I felt baby moving normally throughout the labor.

With regards of registering the birth, we have yet to do so, but will let you know what happens after we complete the process. :flower:

Amazing story to read.

Scares me a little b/c that particular maneuver for shoulder dystocia that you mentioned did not work for me and he was very close to dying, but things worked out great for you and I'm glad you got the unassisted birth you wanted.

Sorry if I missed it, but will have you another?

Oh, and how is the tandem nursing going?? That must be tough too!

I would love to have another... in fact, I have always wanted a large family (anywhere from 6-13 kids would be nice!)

Tandem nursing is actually going quite well. My older son is very caring and doesn't mind sharing, just as long as he's getting some too! Positioning in bed is a little complicated, though...

i read your birth story and i just wanted to say - Amazing! Well done xxx

I just wanted to say congratulations again!!! I think this is a good idea to have this thread for those that are curious as to UC birth, the more people learn hopefully the less women who choose this route will be treated badly.

I can't wait to have my UC next year; wishing you, baby and family lots of good health and happiness!!! :hugs::flower:

what would you have done in case of stillbirth? you could have been blamed you know

some people in the past have killed their babies after birth and classed it as a stillbirth and with no medical professionals as witnesses who would have known the difference?

not to be funny but i'm curious

also my son was breech and we could still hear the heartbeat low down with a stethoscope as could the midwives with their dopplers it didn't really make a difference

and for a breech if the body had come out and the head had not progressed what would you have done? the cord would have been compressed and it would be an emergency situation where you shouldn't physically touch the baby as it may stimulate breathing whilst its head is still inside you

what would you have done if the baby was born and didn't take any breaths?? as someone else pointed out neonatal resus is extremely different to child or adult resus and you would have to be specifically trained in it, and you would need to act within a matter of a couple of minutes

i'm guessing you didn't inject your baby with vitamin k? and i suspect your answer to this would be even under care of a midwife you would not have had your baby given vitamin k. what would you have done if your baby had hemorrhagic disease of the newborn? especially if it had turned out to be an undiagnosed breech?

what would you have done with a face presentation?

what would you have done with a footling breech?

what would you have done if the baby was transverse?

lol sorry for all the questions! very curious

what would you have done in case of stillbirth? you could have been blamed you know

some people in the past have killed their babies after birth and classed it as a stillbirth and with no medical professionals as witnesses who would have known the difference?

not to be funny but i'm curious

also my son was breech and we could still hear the heartbeat low down with a stethoscope as could the midwives with their dopplers it didn't really make a difference

and for a breech if the body had come out and the head had not progressed what would you have done? the cord would have been compressed and it would be an emergency situation where you shouldn't physically touch the baby as it may stimulate breathing whilst its head is still inside you

what would you have done if the baby was born and didn't take any breaths?? as someone else pointed out neonatal resus is extremely different to child or adult resus and you would have to be specifically trained in it, and you would need to act within a matter of a couple of minutes

i'm guessing you didn't inject your baby with vitamin k? and i suspect your answer to this would be even under care of a midwife you would not have had your baby given vitamin k. what would you have done if your baby had hemorrhagic disease of the newborn? especially if it had turned out to be an undiagnosed breech?

what would you have done with a face presentation?

what would you have done with a footling breech?

what would you have done if the baby was transverse?

lol sorry for all the questions! very curious

When people decide to do a UC birth that usually means they have done an extensive amount of research and prepared themselves to adequately handle many emergencies or what are often construed as emergencies but actually aren't and are easily dealt with. Having a UC birth means taking the responsibility of birth into your own hands and not depending on someone else to tell you what to do while you sit a clueless bystander and hope they have your best interest in mind.

The OP may not take offense to this line of questioning but I think your questions are more accusing the necessary. Being at home and unassisted doesn't mean you can't transfer to a hospital but more that you are responsible for knowing the signs of when to transfer. The likeliness of something occurring at home that can't be dealt with and needs to be transferred is not likely but CAN happen and that is why you prepare yourself and educate yourself beforehand.

If you think a UC birth is dangerous, then don't do it!!! And I hope your dr's and MW's don't do anything unnecessary that causes your baby to have problems that wouldn't have occured if you took your birth into your own hands. You don't need to be rude, UC birth is not irresponsible and not anymore dangerous than an assisted homebirth if you prepare properly. If you want to do everything a dr tells you when 95% of that is for their convenience and has not a damn thing to do with you or your baby's health then go for it.

The OP offered to share about unassisted birth not to be quizzed and interrogated so you can form opinions on whether she should have had a UC birth or not. Your approval is not needed and remarks about how she would prove she didn't kill her baby if she had a stillborn is beyond rude.

OK really dumb one, but when you say UC does that mean unassisted.........? C? LOL

I have a secret admiration for you girls because my hospital birth was so "over assisted" that it probably *caused* the shoulder dystocia that almost killed him (multiple failed inductions,etc).

OK really dumb one, but when you say UC does that mean unassisted.........? C? LOL

I have a secret admiration for you girls because my hospital birth was so "over assisted" that it probably *caused* the shoulder dystocia that almost killed him (multiple failed inductions,etc).

Yes, UC stands for Unassisted Childbirth.

I am sorry for your difficulties in the hospital, my experience was pretty rough as well. These are the reasons why some women look into having a UC birth to see if it may suit them better. I hope bbay is healthy now:hugs:

Without being too graphic and upsetting members, there are ways of detecting cause of death. A medical prefessional as a witness whilst helpful can also be irrelevent. The case would be thoroughly examined as a whole, history, parents, siblings, the pregnancy etc.

Thanks for sharing your story! I personally feel just as uncomfortable with UC, as I do with hospital births lol! Only because I feel there should be at least one person experienced in birth present (even if not 'doing' a great deal) I guess I'm in the camp of midwife supported home births, but where the midwives are not obssessed with scientific methods. So basically, a midwife who'll leave women 'the hell alone' in labour and be there only as a back ground support (who have the training and knowledge to assist ONLY in the severest of emergency)...... perhaps I'm living in a dream world though?

I can completely understand the shift towards UC, far, far too many traumatic births experiences are happening to women and so more women are naturally retreating to where they feel it is safe to give birth - away from the environments that are no longer conducive to natural birthing. It is exactly the reason I became a Doula. To give women the knowledge and power to take control of there own birth experiences and to help women feel safe in places like hospitals and birth centres, if they dont feel comfortable at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->