Ask an unassisted homebirther

Wow, I admirey our decision in some respects, but I could never do that. I was born by c-section due to the cord being wrapped around my neck several times because of my personal intrest in that case and being a medical student I've done a little research on it. Babies die during labour because of this, of course not always but sometimes when the cord is wrapped many times. Were you not worried something like this could have happened and you wouldn't have been able to have an emergency c-section due to not knowing what was going on with the baby's heartbeat?

Nuchal cords are more common than one would think. My LO had a nuchal cord, only wrapped once though. There are many cases with nuchal cords that have been wrapped several times without any issue. However, if it would have been to the point of being detrimental, more than likely there would have been some sign of it during labor. Either failure to progress or fetal distress would have occurred. In either case, we would have been able to call an ambulance and the hospital, been blue-lighted in and had an emergency c-section then. :flower:

Thanks, actually went and had a look and it's really really way more common than I thought! you're lucky that you were so near a hospital, must have given you peace of mind. And OT but I think it's great that your tandem nursing and your toddler doesn't mind sharing. You've really opened up my mind to doing things a little more naturally when I eventually have kids. Thanks for being so open and not being offended! My dads a doctor and has delivered a couple of babies before people managed to get to the hospital so I would have someone with experience there in any scenario. I'm so used to knowing any medical professionals I have around me I never considered how weird it must be having strangers around

Thanks, actually went and had a look and it's really really way more common than I thought! you're lucky that you were so near a hospital, must have given you peace of mind. And OT but I think it's great that your tandem nursing and your toddler doesn't mind sharing. You've really opened up my mind to doing things a little more naturally when I eventually have kids. Thanks for being so open and not being offended! My dads a doctor and has delivered a couple of babies before people managed to get to the hospital so I would have someone with experience there in any scenario. I'm so used to knowing any medical professionals I have around me I never considered how weird it must be having strangers around

It is quite strange when you're in the middle of labour and you get to the hospital to be greeted by a complete stranger who almost immediately puts their hand up your woo hoo :rofl:

I find your story amazing but it's not something I could do, I do want a homebirth with my next baby though xx

Wow, I admirey our decision in some respects, but I could never do that. I was born by c-section due to the cord being wrapped around my neck several times because of my personal intrest in that case and being a medical student I've done a little research on it. Babies die during labour because of this, of course not always but sometimes when the cord is wrapped many times. Were you not worried something like this could have happened and you wouldn't have been able to have an emergency c-section due to not knowing what was going on with the baby's heartbeat?

Nuchal cords are more common than one would think. My LO had a nuchal cord, only wrapped once though. There are many cases with nuchal cords that have been wrapped several times without any issue. However, if it would have been to the point of being detrimental, more than likely there would have been some sign of it during labor. Either failure to progress or fetal distress would have occurred. In either case, we would have been able to call an ambulance and the hospital, been blue-lighted in and had an emergency c-section then. :flower:

It is true that nuchal cords are very common and occur in approximately 1 in 4 babies and in the majority of those cases no complications arise as a result... But I'm a little confused as I thought you had written earlier that you did not listen to the baby's heart rate at all during the labour, thereby how would you have known if there was fetal distress during labour?

Sorry if I'm butting in but I think she said she felt regular movements from baby through-out the labour? I'm assuming that she would have deduced distressed if the movements changed or stopped x

Is UC the same as free birthing? I saw an episode of this on TLC and am just very curious. Congrats on your baby.

i read ur birth story and it sounds amazing although i dont think i could do it im to much a worrier but it is still amazing and must have been a wonderfull expericing for u and ur hubby.

Congratulations Silver Penny on having the birth as you wanted.

I am planning a natural home birth this time around if my husband comes round to the idea.. but I will be having my midwife present. I would not be comfortable dealing with it all myself if any emergencies arose... i don't think I would be able to forgive myself if anything happened if it were just me. I had shoulder dystocia last time and ended up in the OR for forceps/c-section delivery and no one even suggested that I change position etc and by that point anyway I was too tired to suggest it myself.

Thanks for sharing your story. It will inspire lots of women I am sure.

Congratulations Silver Penny on having the birth as you wanted.

I am planning a natural home birth this time around if my husband comes round to the idea.. but I will be having my midwife present. I would not be comfortable dealing with it all myself if any emergencies arose... i don't think I would be able to forgive myself if anything happened if it were just me. I had shoulder dystocia last time and ended up in the OR for forceps/c-section delivery and no one even suggested that I change position etc and by that point anyway I was too tired to suggest it myself.

Thanks for sharing your story. It will inspire lots of women I am sure.

Good luck to you, I would have loved a natural home birth for #2 but I am far too scared about the SD. Will you be monitoring growth throughout the pregnancy?

Just wante dto say congratulations - amazing!
I thought i was well prepared before labour, but now I realise I knew very little after reading what you know!
I do think there is someetimes a bit too much paranioa about the 'what if's' because birth has been so massively medicalised. (And I say that as someone who had to have a very swift EMCS for mine and my baby's safety - I still know that mine was a very minority case). I really applaud you for being able to trust your body! I guess you had had a natural birth before?
Was your older child present straight after the birth? And has there been a change in your milk - does this bother your older child? (sorry not technically about the birth but I am curious!)

It is true that nuchal cords are very common and occur in approximately 1 in 4 babies and in the majority of those cases no complications arise as a result... But I'm a little confused as I thought you had written earlier that you did not listen to the baby's heart rate at all during the labour, thereby how would you have known if there was fetal distress during labour?

You are right in remembering that we didn't do FHT during labor, however, I felt regular fetal movements and would have checked FHT if I didn't. With a short cord, there are other signs other than FTH that indicate a problem :flower:

Just wante dto say congratulations - amazing!
I thought i was well prepared before labour, but now I realise I knew very little after reading what you know!
I do think there is someetimes a bit too much paranioa about the 'what if's' because birth has been so massively medicalised. (And I say that as someone who had to have a very swift EMCS for mine and my baby's safety - I still know that mine was a very minority case). I really applaud you for being able to trust your body! I guess you had had a natural birth before?
Was your older child present straight after the birth? And has there been a change in your milk - does this bother your older child? (sorry not technically about the birth but I am curious!)

My first was a natural birth, although he was breech.

He was present straight after the birth, but he didn't quite know what to make of the new little person mommy was holding! There was a change in the milk for a couple of days, but never put my older one off breastfeeding. During pregnancy, there was a decrease in milk, and my older son quite enjoyed himself when my milk came in!

Great birth story and thread. Im having a hospital birth with an OBGYN (so completely opposite of you) but the further along i get the more and more natural i want the birth of the baby to be. I applaud your courage and your openess on the topic!

Wow, what an amazing story.

I am still WTT, so miles off giving birth, but at the moment reading different stories, and thinking thinking about my options when my time comes. I am not sure I would be brave enough to do it, possible home birth??? But thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your little one x

hey hun x
just wondered if you tore at all during delivery ? if you had and needed stitches how would you have got them sorted or would you have just gone to a dr after ?

still think yr amazing had my home birth kit delivered by mw today all very exciting x

wowwzers.. Hats off to you girls who prefer UC

NEVER heard of this UC before at all!
I must be niave

I had enough Strife from freinds family especially MIL cos I wanted homebirth in a pool!!!
All I got when I told ppl of my plans was ''you should be in a hospital what if things go wrong blah blah''
I thought - NO.. I am NOT ILL!! I am just having a baby.. in my relaxed home surroundings.. at my own pace.. no inteference.. but was secretly happy I
To be fair.. I was looking forward to trying the gas and air..
My birth went to plan and swimmingly.. but I had a very good 30 years experienced very lovely MW with me the whole 9 hours.
I had the pethadine in the leg which didnt do much to be honest.. and the gas and air was my hero! but I nearly very nearly did it without.

Now MY question is.. and I am sorry if this has been asked before..

If you ripped.. and lets face it most women do of some degree,, rip/graze/front or back wherever..
who would sew it up.. your DH?
Mines a bit squeemish! lol
Or at that point would you just leave it to heal naturally? (which would be hard a full peri tear) or would you at that point go to hospital?

ANyways.. you are so brave for making a decsions on UC. Hats off to you. I couldnt go that far.. I thought I was hippy enough just with a home water birth! lol
Imagine what they would have said if I wanted UC??? :shock:

If something had gone horribly wrong because you decided to have no medical assitance, how would you have felt and what would you have done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->