Ask an unassisted homebirther

A mommy who tore while birthing unassisted and needed stitches told me she set up a mirror, bought some superglue and literally superglued the folds of skin back together. She says it worked like a charm. If you are reluctant to do surgery on yourself OH could do it.

or you could just go to the hospital to get the stitching done if neither of you feel comfortable doing it :)

unassisted homebirther here too :)
I am now 15 weeks with my 5th baby :)

good luck everyone x

A mommy who tore while birthing unassisted and needed stitches told me she set up a mirror, bought some superglue and literally superglued the folds of skin back together. She says it worked like a charm. If you are reluctant to do surgery on yourself OH could do it.

I'm fairly sure you are not supposed to use superglue on your skin - I would imagine its very easy to get wrong and could get infected.

Wow. What a fascinating thread! And it's lovely to see it hadn't descended into a fight like a previous freebirthing discussion I've seen. Yay for respectful BnBers! :)

I'm glad you got the birth you wanted, I know to most ladies it is SO important to have the birth they want. (I'm more of a 'go with the flow'-er, haven't got a birth plan and happy to trust the medical professionals because I am one myself).

I haven't yet read your birth story (that's next) but I assume it expands on the reason why you chose to go for UC?

I'd never heard of freebirthing/UC before joining BnB. My initial opinion was it was irresponsible and dangerous when I read how some women intended to do it (or were encouraged to do it) without preparing for it appropriately or doing any research. Even now I find the concept too risky in general. But I must say I admire your dedication to what you wanted and the intensive research you had done to prepare for your UC, knowledge is power! I also admire your openess and honesty in posting this thread. Thankyou :)

I can understand more why some US ladies contemplate it due to the extreme medicalisation of childbirth. I wouldn't think it would be as popular with UK ladies as homebirths with MWs present are encouraged and increasingly popular. Unfortunately with the government cuts to the NHS we've already seen reduced homebirthing services or in some cases even stopped completely so I have a feeling we may see freebirthing numbers rise in the UK.

Great thread, thanks for posting it :)

Ps. I really wouldn't advise supergluing wounds! Especially tears from childbirth. Even medical glue isn't used on deeper wounds.

Agreed on the superglue... The best thing for a tear, if you don't have it stitched, is to have it heal naturally. Keep it clean, avoid stairs, keep your legs together as much as possible (avoid sitting cross-legged), and do kegel excercises (increases blood flow to the area to help with faster healing)

^Agreed....super glue....not so much fun..i wouldnt think...thats just crazy lol

I'm not suggesting people give it a go either, but superglue was actually developed during the Vietnam war as a glue to stick wounds together quickly :)

^ that is a creative idea though...but modernity has come a long way ;)
Although, i suppose if its THAT bad and there was no way to get it stitched and it really needed it, its not a terrible idea...but personally it would be an extremely last resort for me. :thumbup:

I just wanted to say thank you so much for posting this thread, even though I know it is pretty old. Another woman gave me the links on a recent thread I had posted, as I have been looking for more information on UC and have found little support on here because not many women have experienced it. I am still pretty torn on whether or not we will be following through with it, but this has given me a better background on what the experience could be like, especially your birth story. I hope more women consider this idea as the result of your story; the US has turned childbirth into such an unnatural, medicalized process which it is not at all. It is normal, natural, and our bodies are built to manage it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->