Ask an unassisted homebirther

Don't mean to offend but as we're being honest, I think it's dangerously irresponsible and should not be encouraged.

Hmmm....some of us have had very traumatic hospital births as a result of hospital staff....so to some giving birth in a hospital is irresponsible but it's not like we would ever say that....just saying ;)

I too have had a traumatic hospital birth, but had I have birthed at home alone bit me and my babies would be dead now, fact.

Well thats your own personal opinion- it doesnt mean others are wrong or irresponsible for it. ....mothers arnt out to having dead babies here....there are guidelines to home births....like living within x amount of minutes from a hospital, etc.

For the record I am pro home birth with full anti natal check ups and mw present. Yes I do think giving birth without a health professional present is grossly irresponsible, that is my opinion, I'm not asking anyone to agree with me. Ok, so why risk it? Why put your babies life at risk?

Why don't you ask the OP? ;)
After all QUESTIONS were the point of the thread x ;)

Ps I never said anything if I agreed with you or not, I'm just pointing out why someone would go that route :thumbup:

cosmicgirl, I am a strong believer in the fact that if you have to say 'I don't mean to offend' then you're going to offend somebody. This is not a thread for debates, and the home & natural birthing forum is for support, not for people to come in and cause arguments. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it! No need to post whatsoever really!

Sorry, I thought a forum was for discussion, not agreeing with everything everyone else was saying.

cosmicgirl, I am a strong believer in the fact that if you have to say 'I don't mean to offend' then you're going to offend somebody. This is not a thread for debates, and the home & natural birthing forum is for support, not for people to come in and cause arguments. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it! No need to post whatsoever really!

And I think you'll find I was polite and not offensive with my opinion.

As per the OP (original poster):
I just wanted to open up a thread for people to openly ask questions. I recently gave birth unassisted after an unassisted pregnancy. If anyone has any questions on the process, feel free to ask away!:thumbup::flower:

If you would like to create a thread to discuss OPINIONS on this type of birthing style, please do so! :D Threads, debate, questions are all encouraged on BnB. But this particular thread is about QUESTIONS. There is nothing wrong with having a different opinion, in fact i think its healthy and good to have the different perspectives, but this is not the thread for that. If however you have a sincere question then ask away! :D that was the entire point of THIS thread. I am sure there are threads throughout BnB discussing the plethora of opinions. That would be the proper place for such comments :thumbup: I am trying to be genuine here (tone of voice is challenging online so sorry if this sounds like im yelling, im not honest :friends:). Please, just be sensitive to the OPs request :D

Why put your babies life at risk?

This is a perfect question for the OP hun :D Exactly what she was looking for :hugs: I am sure she will be more than happy to answer this. I think she already has but there are a bit of pages to sift through. She is a nice gal, im sure she will answer this :friends:

That's absolutely fine, thankyou for not being aggressive with me or telling me I'm rude for my opinion. I thought that opinions would be welcome as the op seemed quite open to views.that's fine, thanks guppy.

Congratulations on your safe arrival.

Unfortunately without trying to cause offence i do not understand why people would even consider unassited births. I understand that in the USA it is VERY medicalised and i can see the need for it, but here in the UK it is illegal to purposefully have a unassisted birth and also for a untrained person to act as a birth attendant.

As a trained professional i have seen many beautiful low risk births but also the other extreme where people are simply lucky to have the TRAINED professional there.
Yes there are many WHAT IF's and no it does not mean they will happen, but if they did i think it would be irresponsible to put yourself in a position to have to deal with them (or not) with what is basically no experience. Yes people who choose this option research these things and scenarios greatly, but if that were all were needed, ppl would not have to dedicated minimum 3yrs (hr in the UK) to have the privilege to assist women in their birth experience. I believe that no amount of research or "basic" medical training can prepare anyone for childbirth emergencies.

I know this sounds like a harsh post, (im sorry) i do respect womens rights and opinions and support women in these choices, but i would not be doing my job if women did not know EVERY possibility and risks involved. I do not believe that feeling a baby move tells you a baby is safe, - when babies are starved of oxygen it is not uncommon for them to have excessive movements as they fight for their life. This is why when we monitor fetal movement we look for changed and excessive as well as none or reduced.

ANyways, my rant over. Apologies if i have offended, it was not my intention but simply to express my opinion, and stress that free birthing is ILLEGAL in the UK.
I would be very concerned for my ladies if i thought that a, they would intentionally go through with this, and b, they had that little trust in their midwives that they felt they could not let us support them in their birthing experience.

Again, Congratulations on your safe arrival. x

Iv got no questions i just wanted to say that i know somebody who delivered twins at home by herself, by accident :haha: paramedic arrived just as the second one was being born. She had a very quick labour x

Hmmm. I would not have a UC myself. I would also not (intentionally) attend a birthing woman who did not have (or plan to have) a trained professional there to assist her. That said, I am not sure I like the question "Why put your baby's life at risk?" This is why :)

There is always a risk with birth, as with anything else. There's ALWAYS an element of risk, WHATEVER path you choose. You choose which risk is right for you, right?

It would be considered rude and presumptious to ask that question of someone who was planning a hospital birth. The stats show that birthing in hospital puts you and your baby at greater risk of a long list of complications. Hey, the stats show it's safer at home, so you MUST be selfish or stupid or irresponsible to go to hospital. Right? Er, no. Each woman is doing what she feels is right for her baby and what is within HER comfort level.

In fact, IME, MOST of the ladies planning to give birth at home, or even give birth unassisted have gone to a lot of trouble to inform themselves of the risks so that they can make a decision with their eyes wide open. COnnversely, man women I know do little to no preparation for a hospital birth. They mentally and physically hand the whole gig over to the medical profession. It's their job to "deliver" the baby, right? They do this every day, THEY are the experts. Heck, this could be the mother's first time! She is wrong to take control! Isn't she?

"Why take the risk of birthing unassisted?" I suspect the answer if because that family did not want to take the risk of birthing "in the system". To them, THAT risk is greater. That is why they are doing it. They could as easily say to you, here, MY WAY is better. Why did YOU put YOUR baby's life at risk? But wouldn't that be considered.... bad form?

Like I said, I wouldn't UC myself, or attend a UC-ing woman. Just trying to shed some light on why, that question, phrased that way, might not be taken so well. Because, heck, I'm not even a UC-er and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, kwim?

I know I have been MIA from this thread for quite some time. Sorry about the delay in answering your questions. So, without further ado...

In regards to tearing: first and second degree tears I would not have stitched, third or fourth degree tears, I would have gone to a doctor to have it stitched up.

Helpful books and links: I purchased the following books, which I found very imformative and helpful: "Holistic Midwifery, Vol II," "Childbirth Without Fear," and "Heart and Hands, a Midwife's Guide to pregnancy and childbirth" There were multiple websites that I frequented. but https://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/ is a great place to start

Things I prepped myself for: PPH, breech or other abnormal presentations, nuchal cord, and various other complications. The book "Holistic Midwifery" goes through most of the complications that could happen during birth. This book is over 1400 pages, a textbook for midwives. With all of the research I did, all I am lacking to become a midwife is to do an internship.

What to do during PPH: Majority of cases of PPH are cause by an atonic uterus (up to 90% of cases. Nipple stimulation is one technique that helps the body release oxytocin to cause contractions. This can either be done by hand or by having the baby feed. The following herbs are oxytocic and usuful during PPH: witch hazel, blue cohosh, and cotton root bark. If the placenta has already delivered and the herbs aren't enough, there are following are things you can do to help with the hemmorage: gentle fundal massage, or uterine compression (abdominal, abdominal bimanual or internal bimanual) I would strongly advise in the case of PPH to be transferred to hospital.

Now, for the questions on why. I understand that some may consider me irresponsible. However, I view myself as just the opposite. Here is my reasoning behind this: if I went to hospital or even if I had a midwife present at home, I would be placing the responsibility in their hands. I was fully responsible for the outcome of my birth and I took it on in this way. There are many women out there who are more than comfortable with putting their lives and their baby's lives in the hands of professionals. That is their choice. I was not comfortable with doing that, as per my previous experience. Therefore, I took on all the responsibilities. I did my own prenatal care, prepped myself for the birth (as did my husband), and the possible outcomes of it. Yes, I know some consider what I did as "risky". I just have to disagree. I honestly don't think I put my baby's life at risk. I do think my previous midwife put my DS1 at risk, and the hospital put both my DS1's life and my life at risk, but that's another story. I don't claim to know everything about pregnancy and birth, but neither does anyone. I do claim to know my body, though, better than anyone else. Hospitals, in my eyes, are there for a reason, and that is for emergencies. If there was an emergency during any point in my labor and birth, I would have utilized it as such a place.

Maz, I understand where you are coming from. However, I would also like to state that you do not know my qualifications and therefore cannot say that I have no experience. I have not been "medically trained" However, I have done internships in hospitals on the labor and delivery ward. I would hardly say that I have "no experience", and I would also say that nobody knows ALL the possibilities and risks. I don't means to sound rude or condescending, please dont take it that way :flower:

UC is not for everyone. Plain and simple. I am not saying you should go out and do this, I am just opening myself up to answer questions on the subject. I think that covers all the questions that were asked. If I missed one, or you have any further questions, I am more than happy to answer them. :flower:

Unfortunately without trying to cause offence i do not understand why people would even consider unassited births. I understand that in the USA it is VERY medicalised and i can see the need for it, but here in the UK it is illegal to purposefully have a unassisted birth and also for a untrained person to act as a birth attendant.
As a trained professional i have seen many beautiful low risk births but also the other extreme where people are simply lucky to have the TRAINED professional there.
Yes there are many WHAT IF's and no it does not mean they will happen, but if they did i think it would be irresponsible to put yourself in a position to have to deal with them (or not) with what is basically no experience. Yes people who choose this option research these things and scenarios greatly, but if that were all were needed, ppl would not have to dedicated minimum 3yrs (hr in the UK) to have the privilege to assist women in their birth experience. I believe that no amount of research or "basic" medical training can prepare anyone for childbirth emergencies.

I know this sounds like a harsh post, (im sorry) i do respect womens rights and opinions and support women in these choices, but i would not be doing my job if women did not know EVERY possibility and risks involved. I do not believe that feeling a baby move tells you a baby is safe, - when babies are starved of oxygen it is not uncommon for them to have excessive movements as they fight for their life. This is why when we monitor fetal movement we look for changed and excessive as well as none or reduced.

ANyways, my rant over. Apologies if i have offended, it was not my intention but simply to express my opinion, and stress that free birthing is ILLEGAL in the UK. I would be very concerned for my ladies if i thought that a, they would intentionally go through with this, and b, they had that little trust in their midwives that they felt they could not let us support them in their birthing experience.

I have to correct the above.

As a lawyer I can tell you this is NOT true under the laws of England and Wales.

Firstly, you have ultimate freedom to birth in your own home or anywhere without any attendants - whether you do this intentionally or not. It would be a very strange state that would make a physiological function of the human race an illegal act. This right is also enshrined in Human rights law (it was also recently commented on and examined in the case of Ternovszky v Hungary 2010 "the right concerning the decision to become a parent includes the right of choosing the circumstances of becoming a parent. The court is satisfied that the circumstances of giving birth incontestably form part of one's private life")

Secondly, the only thing that is illegal is for a person to purport to act or intend to act as a midwife. This doesn't included OHs, doulas, your grandmother.. or even a kind bin man or anyone who is present at your birth.
It is an unfortunate common misconception (even among medical professionals)

Here is the Law:
Midwifery Order 2001, Paragraph 45
1) A person other than a registered midwife or a registered medical practitioner shall not attend a women in childbirth
2) Paragraph (1) does NOT apply -
a) where the attention is given in a case of sudden or urgent necessity; or
b) in the case of a person who, while undergoing training with a view to becoming a medical practitioner or to becoming a midwife, attends a women in childbirth as part of a course of practical instruction in midwifery recognised by the council or by the general medical council.

Had to clear that one up, as it could be very damaging to women's choices and freedoms

XXX

I have a question about when you registered the birth - what happened? did you have to do anything to prove you were the childs mother (DNA etc) Did they not mind there is no proof of the fact you were pregnant or independent witnesses that you gave birth to the child?

^ I was wondering a similar question. When we fillied for my sons birth certificate, we live in New Hampshire USA, and when we filled for his SSC both needed proof of his existance (even though he was standing right there in front of him :dohh:). I understand that not everyone does SS, but what about the birth certificate? We would hve had no proof but if this is something we were thinking about doing, how would we go about the proof? We needed proof of identy for insurance too (which there is only a 30 day add period and we had to get a birth certificate and SS card first :dohh: which took basically the entire time :wacko:).

ANyways, my rant over. Apologies if i have offended, it was not my intention but simply to express my opinion, and stress that free birthing is ILLEGAL in the UK. I would be very concerned for my ladies if i thought that a, they would intentionally go through with this, and b, they had that little trust in their midwives that they felt they could not let us support them in their birthing experience.

I have to correct the above.

As a lawyer I can tell you this is NOT true under the laws of England and Wales.

Firstly, you have ultimate freedom to birth in your own home or anywhere without any attendants - whether you do this intentionally or not. It would be a very strange state that would make a physiological function of the human race an illegal act. This right is also enshrined in Human rights law (it was also recently commented on and examined in the case of Ternovszky v Hungary 2010 "the right concerning the decision to become a parent includes the right of choosing the circumstances of becoming a parent. The court is satisfied that the circumstances of giving birth incontestably form part of one's private life")

Secondly, the only thing that is illegal is for a person to purport to act or intend to act as a midwife. This doesn't included OHs, doulas, your grandmother.. or even a kind bin man or anyone who is present at your birth.
It is an unfortunate common misconception (even among medical professionals)

Here is the Law:
Midwifery Order 2001, Paragraph 45
1) A person other than a registered midwife or a registered medical practitioner shall not attend a women in childbirth
2) Paragraph (1) does NOT apply -
a) where the attention is given in a case of sudden or urgent necessity; or
b) in the case of a person who, while undergoing training with a view to becoming a medical practitioner or to becoming a midwife, attends a women in childbirth as part of a course of practical instruction in midwifery recognised by the council or by the general medical council.

Had to clear that one up, as it could be very damaging to women's choices and freedoms

XXX

So are you saying that as long as your intend to become a midwife, professional etc that you are exempt from this law??

It is illegal for a not qualified person to purposefully act as a midwife etc. Even if it is OH/DOula etc. Obviously BBA's etc (born before arrivals) are very different cases but to act if i were "almost" qualified i would not have a leg to stand on as such if i were to act as that womens midwife and deliver her baby knowing that i have the "knowledge", just the same as i see "doctors" procedures all the time, i know the medical ins and outs, and could probably manage to deliver a baby etc, as such for a c-section but i would loose my job if i thought i could just perform this even in the case of a emergency.

I appreciate that this is not the same, but to say it is not illegal for a doula etc to act as the midwife , even if they intend to proceed to the career is wrong. (Apologies if i interpreted your comment wrongly)

As for no one knowing ALL the risks, i disagree that is why doctors trained for 7+yrs they are the experts and midwifes are the experts in "normal" childbirth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->