Ate unpasteurized cheese :(

lovenoel

Reaction score
I’m 4+5 today and ate unpasteurized cheese, specifically queso fresco today at lunch. I read the menu and completely didn’t see that queso fresco was listed on what I ordered. I saw it and thought “huh that looks like queso fresco” and tried to scrape it off but figured it probably wasn’t since I hadn’t seen it listed on my menu item. When I got into the car I checked online and realized it was listed. I didn’t make a big deal when I was in the restaurant bc I was with someone who doesn’t know yet that I’m expecting.

I called the restaurant after and they confirmed that their queso fresco is not pasteurized. I’m freaked out and I’m so early on (18DPO) that I’m sure there’s nothing anyone can do.

Talk me off a ledge?

The reason why unpasteurised cheese and milk isn't recommended in pregnancy is because it POSSIBLY may contain listeria, which can be particularly dangerous in pregnancy.

However...

Listeriosis (the infection caused by listeria) is rare. Listeria itself is pretty rare. I honestly wouldn't be overly worried (though I can totally understand your worry). If you start to feel unwell with flu-like symptoms in the next few days, contact a medical professional immediately.

Honestly though, I think you're absolutely fine. One serving of cheese is unlikely to make you ill, even if it does contain listeria (and it most probably doesn't).

Listeria is soooooo rare - I remember one person on here several months ago said her midwife said she’d only ever heard of it affecting a pregnant woman on a soap opera. Not to say it never happens, but if I had to place a bet I’d say you’re highly unlikely to get sick from that cheese. Especially because I assume you didn’t eat it by the tub, they usually just sprinkle a bit on top of your meal right?
Don’t worry, you and your baby will be totally fine. Congrats btw!

Thank you guys. My doctor was like “try not to do it again!” And said I’m probably OK but to call if I get sick. There’s not much they could do this early on (some people don’t even know they’re pregnant yet at 18DPO) so I’m going to cross my fingers and wait.

I think you're gonna be fine. i never follow any of the eating recommendations and everything turned out just fine for me with baby #1. No need to stress yourself out over cheese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->