Avent niplette for flat nipples??

lewood88

Mom of 2 expecting #3
Reaction score
Hi ladies i have flat nipples and couldnt get my daughters to latch when i tried to breast fees them when they was babies and now im pregnant again i really really want to breastfeed, today i was in boots and came across an avent niplette i want to give it a go but dont want to waste money if it doesnt work.

Has any of you guys ever used one and did you get success with baby latching on and also when is best to start using it?

I replied but it got lost. I'll try again later when my connection better.

The niplette was initially designed for a fashion use - when pointy breasts were all the rage - so it doesn't have a medical background. For that reason it looks to be quite painful on hormonal and sore nipples but I haven't actually used it. I think to get what you desire there are probably better solutions.

A good bf latch requires a mouthful of breast tissue not nipple so there is no automatic reason why you can't bf with inverted nipples.

Either your nipples are flat/inverted but not stuck that way, so you could use a breast pump to tease them out, or simple manual stimulation. Once LO is latched their suck usually pulls the nipple further out. However the nipple does need to reach the back of their palate to stimulate the suck reflex, so you may need to be more vigilant about ensuring LO has a nice big mouthful of breast.

Or your nipples are actually tethered inwards and can't be pulled (or only partially) out using any method. If this is the case nipple shields might be the way to go. These will stimulate the suck reflex in LO by being longer than your nipples. However they can cause issues of their own, so I'd want to be 100% sure you needed them.

Check out support in your area from organisations such as LLL or NCT and Children's centre support groups.

Thank you so much for your advice, tbf i was a little scared of the niplette in case it caused early labour im seeing my midwife in 2 weeks time so im going to ask her what my best route is xx

I have flat nipples, and while I haven't tried the niplette, I am using nipple shields because LO fights my breast otherwise and will suck literally twice and pull back off again. I would give the niplettes a go first though over nipple shields and see how you get on :) Good luck x

I've just heard that lansinoh have designed something, which might be called a nipple extender I'm not sure, and this might be a bit less painful, but maybe not!! I don't know because I've never used it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->