Average Head Size

almostthere13

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the average diameter of of a baby's head is at birth?

NOT circumference and NOT in inches. The other searches I've done people seem to be very confused about the difference. At my last scan (2 days after due date) our baby was estimated at 9lbs 15ozs with head diameter of 10.3 centimeters and doc is pushing c-section because of it. I'm more concerned about the head size than the weight. Thanks!

Im not sure. My babys head is measuring two weeks a head and that has me worried if I go over due as I dont want to push a huge head out.

Can anyone tell me what the average diameter of of a baby's head is at birth?

NOT circumference and NOT in inches. The other searches I've done people seem to be very confused about the difference. At my last scan (2 days after due date) our baby was estimated at 9lbs 15ozs with head diameter of 10.3 centimeters and doc is pushing c-section because of it. I'm more concerned about the head size than the weight. Thanks!
Hi there

You need fetal growth charts and from the scans the ones you're after are the biparietal diameter and the occipitalfrontal diameter. If you scroll down in this link then you can get to the averages based on gestation and the standard deviation in mm from that https://www.baby2see.com/medical/charts.html

At my 35 wk scan my baby is in the 96th percentile for head diameter which has made me rather nervous too... That said he's a planned C already but I'm going to ask on Thursday as to what size it would have to get to if I was having a vaginal delivery before they'd recommend a C section x

Ps our diameters at 35 weeks are BPD of 9.9cm and OFD of 11.8cm (!). Joy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->