Avoid Pre term labour in the future- Fetal Fibronectin Test

Bride2b

Reaction score
My consultant told me of a new test that is going to be available at the hospital I go to in the next few months (I think its the same for all UK hospitals as its been given the go ahead & fully tested). I'm not sure if its available in the US/Canada/New Zealand/Australia etc...and anywhere else.

Basically its a test that tells you if you are at risk of going into premature labour & could be the difference between saving your baby or suffering the terrible fate of what many of us here have experienced and losing the baby.

I have only literally just looked at a few websites;

https://www.ffntest.com/info/fetal_test.html

https://www.babycenter.com/0_preterm-labor-test-fetal-fibronectin_1511.bc

I will be doing more research, but thought I'd share with you ladies, especially those who are terribly worried about pre term labour for current & future pregnancies.

My consultant suggested its something I might be able to have when I fall pregnant again. Although you can only have the tests after 22 weeks....thats when the 'fibronectin' should not be present when they do the test before this it will show up naturally. Its a great thing I believe (although I lost my baby at 19 weeks I wouldnt have been offered the test if I suspected I was going into pre term labour) but it will certainly help ladies who believe they are after 22 weeks.

I hope you find it interesting & of some help xx

It is not a new test, infact it has been around and used for a long time. The only problem with it, there are many, many false positives, but it is a useful tool.

Unfortunately the test only rules out the likelyhood of delivering in the next week or two, it doesn't give any definite answers abouth whether you will. It's only available after 22 weeks and I think most of us got into bother before then, unfortunately. It's more of a tool for the Ob's to decide on what treatments to give, or not, depending on the results.

AHHH my consultant said it was going to be used at the hospital in the next few months - it sounded like it was a new thing, but obviously they have just decided to use it.

I know its no guarantee but I think it could set your mind at ease if it comes back negative - at least in the short term. If you feel something is wrong and you get a positive I think the idea is that they will keep a close eye etc.

I cant see that its a bad thing - I will have it done if I thought I was in any danger....but as you say Nikki, it means having to reach 22 weeks!

I had my son at 25 weeks in july last year, and they done this test on me,and it was negative I wasn't favourable for labour, turns out I had him an hour later by emergency section anyway!

I'm sorry Perfect Pink

I have lost a bit of faith in this test now! I went away from my appointment hopeful that there are tests that can be done that act as a warning & hopefully protect us all from any more losses! I'm sad its not all that!

Aw sorry hun, didn't mean to make you lose faith, just didn't want you thinking it was the magic answer and being dissapointed. it's still a useful tool and I think I'd still ask for it if I was having symptoms...

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->