Avoiding induction

xsadiex

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone had any personal stories or advice.
If you go overdue can you request not to be induced? What happens if baby still doesn't budge when you go two weeks over?
I really want my homebirth and don't want interventions which I can imagine are much more likely to happen in a hospital induction!

Obviously I have no idea what's going to happen as I'm not quite there yet, just want to think about it haha :flower:

hehe well the one thing we learnt is that you can plan this and plan that but things seem to take on a life of their own!! Easier said than done but try not to worry about things that might not happen.

I'm no midwife but it was explained to us that after a certain point there are various risks to waiting any longer. The idea of being induced doesn't seem great to me but if that's the safest thing for mum + babe then I guess you have to trust the experts. It never sounded optional.

And it's amazing how quick you forget it all once you meet babe face to face for first time :):)

they can't force you to do anything! I am planned not to get induced unless necessary this time, by necessary I mean like with Poppy, there was meconium in the waters when they broke so I had to go straight on the juice as meconium can signify a distressed baby. At 42 weeks, there is a risk of the placenta decreasing in efficiency but I'm planning on refusing induction and just telling them I'll go in every day to be monitored after 42 weeks if they want!

It is less that you request not to be induced, more than you don't agree to be induced! Consultants rarely word it like that, but it is medical treatment that (according to NICE guidance) you should be consulted on, given the pros and cons of, and then asked if you consent to.

You can ask instead for 'expectant management' which would mean you going into maternity daycare (or similar) after 42 weeks, and getting placental function and amniotic fluid levels checked via scans, and the babies heart rate monitored, to check everything is OK. If all is OK then off you head home and go back in again in 24-48 hours to check everything is still OK.

Obviously if some problem is detected then you have to make a decision about induction or an elective section depending on what is detected and how immediate a problem it is. But the bonus is that you only need to make a decision at the point where you know there is a problem (and what the implications are), rather than just doing it by date.

My home birth midwife is happy for me to continue with my home birth plans with expectant management in place.

I've had one membrane sweep at just before 41 weeks (which seems to be doing something) and will get another just before 42 weeks, to try and kick things off on their own. I will probably continue to have them while having the 'expectant management' as well if I get to that stage.

NICE guidelines here: https://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG70

Specific points to note in the 'Full Guidance':

Introduction

"Induction of labour has a large impact on the health of women and their babies and so needs to be clearly clinically justified"

1.2.1.3 If a woman chooses not to have induction of labour, her decision should be respected. Healthcare professionals should discuss the woman’s care with her from then on.

From 42 weeks, women who decline induction of labour should be offered increased antenatal monitoring consisting of at least twice-weekly cardiotocography and ultrasound estimation of maximum amniotic pool depth.

HTH

i have to discuss this with my MW at my next appointment i'll be opting for expected managment untill such a time as they convince me of a medical reason to be induced

Don't forget a normal pregnancy is 37-42 weeks.... I'm not classing myself as overdue until I'm over 42 weeks.... Then I think I would rather ask for scans to assess my placenta function....
It's a tough one though because I'm sure by that point I'll be begging baby to come :)

DD was a planned home birth. At 41+6 I had my final antenatal appointment and MW gave me a sweep and made an appointment for a scan and to see the consultant at 42 weeks. I told her that I still wanted to deliver at home, which she acknowledged was agaisnt medical advice but my decision to make and that she would like me to attend the consultant appointment. I actually went into labour bang on 42weeks, called MW and she asked me to still attend the consultant appointment and scan as I was only in early labour. I did and consultant sent me home to labour for a home birth. (then I was back in a few hours later for a C-Section....but nothing to do with being over-due, declining induction or having a home birth)

Had I not been in labour at 42weeks I would have attended the scan and consultant appointment and discussed the plan for further monitoring, place of delivery and when/if I would consent to induction.

It is absolutely optional. It is the same as anything else: your body, your choice. If you do not want to be induced, you do not have to be. There are risks to induction and there are risks to waiting. It is entirely up to YOU which risk you want to take.

NICE guidelines say you should be offered the option of being monitored to check that you, baby and placenta are all doing OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->