Babies coming and 5yr old ill :(

lizziedripping

Reaction score
Hope it is ok to post here, I am desperate and very worried :nope:

It may seem like a trivial worry in the great scheme of things, but my hormones are making me freak out just a little

I'm scheduled for a c-section on Monday to deliver my 38wk twins, and my 5yr old has started with a grotty cold today - she is really under the weather which is unlike her, so it is probably a little more than a minor infection.

I am soooo worried about the babies. Ordinarily, I would stop anyone with a bug holding or being near a newborn, until they were a little older - obviously I can't do this with their siblings

I realise that if I have immunity to this particular virus, then the babies will have too, but does this mean they won't catch it at all? Or will they get a minor version of it? I've read that newborns rarely get viruses in the first 8wks due to mums immunity - how true is this?

Anyone here with twin or singleton newborns in the past have experience of their baby getting a cold immediately after birth? How did they cope? Was hoping they wouldn't have their first virus til they were atleast a few weeks old.

Flippin' typical - it has really taken the "shine" off me having them - want them to stay in now til the kids have got better again. Any experiences would be most welcome xxx

if you haven't got the cold, you wont have developed the specific antibodies to your LO cold virus. But like you say general antibodies pass across the placenta. Hence the twins will have some protection.

I'd say really don't worry as the contact betweed your LO with the cold, you and the twins will be limited once you are in hospital. (visiting times, the twins being in cribs etc) And you will prob be in hospital after the c section till after your LO gets rid of the cold, then there is no risk.

I'd advise to use lots of antibacterial/anti viral hand gel at home till you go to hospital, limit the chance of you getting the virus.

Virus infectious period is usually quite short, 3-4 days or so.

Hope everything goes well for you on Monday
xxxxx

My son came out with a cold 2 days before i went into Labour with Mirren! I didn't want to say to him to keep away from the baby etc and make him resent her even more so just went with it! She didn't get the cold. We all got another cold when she was 8 weeks old and she got that one, but very mildly.

Hope the twins delivery went smoothly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->