babies with reflux

Mrs-N

Mummy to Joshua James
Reaction score
can they have anything to help them or ease the sick?

yes... but it has to be perscribed by doctor...

I got infant gaviscon but I do not advise as it made courtney constipated and alot more uncomfortable than what the reflux makes her!!

Im going to try and get something else! Cos my poor girl is constantly sick!! :( Its like water as well and its so smelly!!

Infant gaviscon helps Marlowe. You can get a prescription from your dr. or buy it in the pharmacy.

do you just give it to them during afeed then?

if i ask the doctor will they just say he is drinking too much like the HV said?

My dr prescribed it as soon as I said she was crying in pain when she spit up at times. Never questioned it. I give it to her after a feed, mixing it with water and then using a dropper to give it to her. Quite annoying, but if your little one takes a bottle you can just stick it in the milk. Marlowe won't take a bottle. :/

joshua seem to be sick all of the time aswell.
some times the sick is clear like water,is that what you mean?

im going through so many clothes.

x
is there anything else?

Tegan has infant Gaviscon and Domperidone because she has really bad reflux. And I mean BAD lol. No sure what else you can get, but try keeping baby upright for at least 30 mins after a feed, elevating head of cot by putting books/something big under legs (NOT UNDER PILLOW)

Tegan has infant Gaviscon and Domperidone because she has really bad reflux. And I mean BAD lol. No sure what else you can get, but try keeping baby upright for at least 30 mins after a feed, elevating head of cot by putting books/something big under legs (NOT UNDER PILLOW)

when you mean BAD how do you describe?!

Courtney will be like a mini water feature.... and like mrs N get through soooo many clothes!!

One episode of being sick she will SOAK a bib!!

Dr can prescibe domperidone and ranitidine.
Strong anti sickness drugs that make the feed digest quicker.
Tabs has been on them since day 1 as she is a very severe case.

BIB? WTF is a bib....we have to use terry towellings (i bought 4 dozen to use for nappys but have not used any due to them being handy for the sick lol
Luckily she doesnt sick up much now cos of the meds but when she puts on weight and i havn't upped the meds thats when we see it in its partial glory!

Glunking noises.....glunk glunk glunk from the pits of her tummy
followed by death screams and arching of the back throwing backwards and only happy in an upright position on shoulder etc etc
I would hate to see it in its full glory!!

Anyway Tabs also has to have different milk now and it does make a difference....its cow and gate comfort 1 - its a much thicker feed. She only has it at room temp as it goes really gloopy when warm...also warm feeds are supposed to make reflux worse. She has to have 6moth plus teats with it though as it doesnt come out of the younger teats.

Apart from that just what others have said about raising surfaces to 30degrees and sitting up after a feed and not jiggling too much etc.
Also i found gaviscon PANTS! constipated her and took over a week to get over it after coming off it.

Oh and the sick it like that woman on little britain! who pukes in everyones face....it seriously is that bad!

You have 2 threads going lol

How much does LO eat and how often?

i know there is 2 threads going. i dont know how to delete it.

he drinks about 5-6 oz every 3 or so hours.

the last 2 feeds he has had has been with hungry baby formula and he hasnt been sick and the burps arnt as violent.

maybe it agrees with him more.

sonny.... courtney is also on comfort 1 and she is much better on this!!

She no longer screams in pain and is so much more less colicy.... but she is still very sicky (like the water that we all talk about)!! I get through a muslin every feed... like its ringing wet!!

You can see in my avator... her poor dress lol!!

Mrs- N courtney is also on 6oz (was 4 times a day now seems to be 5 in the last week or so)!!

They HV I went to see 2 weeks ago said to not give her so much and try and give her it more often.... URH hello.... shes not happy unless shes had 6oz.... and sometimes I can see she would like a little more!! It just doesnt seem to satisfy her!!

well thats what i thought when the health visitor said to me about give him less.

i started doing 4oz bottles but he gets through them and wants more.

i cant let him scream coz hes hungry.

thanks vickie

well thats what i thought when the health visitor said to me about give him less.

i started doing 4oz bottles but he gets through them and wants more.

i cant let him scream coz hes hungry.

thanks vickie

You have to find a happy medium that suits you.Tabs max she can do at one feed is 6oz and that only happens once a day if im lucky, her average is 4-5oz a feed every 3 hours.
I give boots own brand gripe water before each feed and it brings the wind up lovely now. If a burp gets stuck thats generally when a whole feed can come up.
I feed until she stops....i dont burp halfway now....then i lay her flat on my lap for a min or 2 then sit her up and sure enough a daddy burp comes out.

You have to be wary of feeding too little too often with your lo's as sometimes that in itself makes colic symptoms worse.

Tabs is on solids now and i think it has helped a bit so far.

I would recommend you write down when he feeds etc,how much,how long it took etc and when they puke to take to the dr and what othr symptoms at the time are showing.

Do you both do warm feeds?

Mrs N- the feeds and frequency you are giving really seems ok. Can i ask what formula he was on before and what one now?
Im just wondering if it could be a lactose problem.
Tabs has the reflux but then also couldnt tolerate sma because the lactose was so high.....cow and gate still has the lactose but at a much lower amount.

Leeds - I gotta say Tabs when she is sick its not watery really,it comes up just as it went down.Do you give her water? thats one thing i have never done with Tabs as i think that would be way too thin.

Thanks sonny thats some great advice.... No i dont give her water... I have done in the past to cure the constipation the damm gaviscon gave her!!

Its only watery about an hour after feeds... inbetween feeds and just after its milky!! Last night it was quite thick :(

I had a real bad night... I ended up giving her capol at about 10pm cos she just wouldnt stop crying!!

I do warm her feeds!!

Thats really interesting about the amount of lactose in the feeds... didnt realise it was lower in the cow and gate comfort.... she is better on it but as I said before I still get all the fluid coming up!! :(

What age did you start solids.... cos Im sure courtney will be better on it??

Thanks sonny thats some great advice.... No i dont give her water... I have done in the past to cure the constipation the damm gaviscon gave her!!

Its only watery about an hour after feeds... inbetween feeds and just after its milky!! Last night it was quite thick :(

I had a real bad night... I ended up giving her capol at about 10pm cos she just wouldnt stop crying!!

I do warm her feeds!!

Thats really interesting about the amount of lactose in the feeds... didnt realise it was lower in the cow and gate comfort.... she is better on it but as I said before I still get all the fluid coming up!! :(

What age did you start solids.... cos Im sure courtney will be better on it??

When you next do her bottle warm have a look at it....its really gloopy thats why i now only do room temp bottles....she is absolutely fine with it and much easier when out!

We started solids ummm *thinks* about just under 4 weeks ago but it totally depends on how baby is and how you feel she would get on and if she is showing the signs.

Dont go down that route unless you think she is totally ready as Tabs still pukes up sometimes.
I would have a word with the Dr and see about ranitidine or domperidone and explain that the gaviscon is crap and that she is in physical pain with it now.
:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->