Baby age gaps?

KarenLV

Reaction score
What amount of time between two babies would be best for them with regards to bonding? My husband thinks two years is a healthy gap but not more.My sister and I have a 7 year gap and have basically no relationship at all so I dont want to wait that long....Would three years be too much?
Opinions and experiences please!

I agree with two years as well. That's the ideal age gap I'd like between my baby and the next one. However, it's not always practical, so in reality ( due to circumstances) the gap will most likely be 4 years.

Well mine are all about 2-3 years, but because I have so many my oldest is 18 years old and my youngest is 21 months. And they have no problem "Bonding" . My 4 year old son adores his older brother and they play and go out together.

But for them to be like friends to play with each other, although I personally think any age , depends mostly on there personalities, but I would say 2 years apart or 3 years apart. But it doesnt really matter as they get older they start to fight and like differnet things and get their own traits, make their own friends.

There are pro's and con's to it all.

I would just do it when you feel ready within yourself. The older one will love new new sibling no matter what!

hi there..i have 2 brothers one is 36 and the other is 37 there is one year between them..they go to the pubs together hang out they are like best buds...where as my mom and dad had me 10 years later (im 26) and even tho i know they would be there for me if i needed them and i do talk to them..im not as close as i wish i was to them...cant even remember the last time i had a kiss on the cheek or a hug from them :cry:...

My son is 3 and we are trying to concieve, he would have just turned 4 by the time i get pregnant and give birth...i hope the age gap wont be to far aprt...there is nothin i can do about it really now,:shrug: but i do wish i started trying awhile ago :roll: ..but i didnt feel ready neither did my partner.

:hugs:

well i think that 2 or 3 years is fine, as apposed to other sibling stories with a big age gap, my brother and i are 6 years apart and very very close.

I agree, 2/3 years is ok. Me and my younger brother are quite close and we have a 3 year gap and DF and his younger brother also have a 3 year gap and are close. However, DF's sister is 10 years younger than him and they are not that close really becasue she is so young, he is more like her baby sitter, they dont really do stuff together like him and his brother do. I would like my kids to look out for each other and be like best friends. (Cheesy I know, but it would be lovely!)

My brother is 4 years younger than me but it feels more like 10! Im personally going to avoid 4 years because when I hit puberty my brother was so mean and nasty to me...it was hell!

A 3 year age gap is ideal for DH and I. Both DH and I are 3 years apart from our siblings and we liked it.

As much as can be planned, I'm hoping for 3 years apart. Old enough for the first one to not feel left out because they can 'help' with the new baby instead of wondering why the other one is demanding so much of my time, and one can walk the other be carried (not long distances, I just mean around the house and such) instead of both being unable to transport themselves at the same time. It also means only one in diapers at a time, which sounds like plenty, thanks very much! :rofl:

there will be just over 3 yrs between Ewan and his sibling, ideally we wanted 18m-2 yrs but it didnt work out that way. But i think it will be fine. I was an only child so i am quite glad he will have a sibling.

I'm an only child so I don't really have a frame of reference.

My husband is the youngest of 2 and his sister is 20 months older. We would like 18months to 2 years between the 2 to mimic this as growing up they got on reasonably well and could share things while still being independent of one another at school etc.

I don't think there is a 'perfect age gap' but we think this would work for us.

My hubby and his sister are only a year and a half apart, and grew up very close. Their elder sister was already 9 when they started being born (all three of them were surprise babies showing up through contraceptives, so no timing was planned) and she really really didn't like her younger siblings (hubby and his other sis). She was very used to being an only child and suddenly two more meant a strain on finances that resulted in her not being able to continue all her extra-curricular activities, and she resented both of them for a long time.

My brother and sisters are much older than me - the next one up is 5.5 years older, the eldest 11. I have never been particularly close to any of them, but I'm not sure how much of that is down to age gaps, and how much to my dysfunctional family :dohh:
Freya will be over four when we have our next baby (fingers crossed no older than that!). It's a bigger gap than I would have liked, but that's the way it is.

There are, of course, good points - Freya will be old enough to 'help' a little, is well out of nappies and doesn't need carrying (or pushing in the buggy) anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->