Baby constantly feeding - can bf babies overeat?

Dawn11

Reaction score
Hi, my one month old son is constantly on the boob, I don't know if it's for feeding or for comfort or both, and he generally falls asleep on the boob and he only takes the one side at a time. Apart from not getting anything done and the lack of sleep my concern is could I be over feeding him if he is only using the boob for comfort? He got weighed today and he has gained 15oz in 6 days, previously he has been gaining just over an oz a day.

I've tried using a dummy but he won't take it and will only stop crying if I offer him the breast.

Thanks

No. BF babies can't overeat from the breast - I think I might have read that they can overeat from a bottle of express milk though. X

And awesome weight gain!!!

Probably a growth spurt, I had plenty of non-stop feeding times!!

Breastfed babies can't overeat. Breastmilk is very easily digested and your LO stomach will be small, so he will be feeding very regularly. Plus babies can cluster feed during growth spurts. My LO put on lots of weight and then slowed down with the weight gain at around four months which is normal for a breastfed baby :)

I think it's probably best to get past the big growth spurts before introducing a dummy as otherwise you could be missing out on some of the feeds that stimulate milk production. Big spurts tend to be 3 weeks and 6 weeks and after that (if you have no latch issues, weight issues etc) you could think about a dummy if you want one. My LO never accepted any substitute!

If he can keep it down then there's no problem, my son will feed until it pours out, that's what I consider overeating. Your baby sounds totally normal, they can feed non-stop, if you're tired, maybe kerp trying the pacifier, perhaps he'll take it one day.

Thanks for the responses, i had read online that you can't over feed bf babies but I just needed a bit of reassurance as I was just concerned that he was just snacking when all he needed was comforting and I was over feeding him.

I originally decided (after much consideration) to try a dummy on him to give me a quick break so I could get a shower etc.. as there were days when he would only be happy in my arms, he would fall asleep while feeding but as soon as I put him in his Moses basket he would wake up and cry and start suckling, even if my husband tried comforting him he would still cry so we tried a dummy, but he never took to it. Fortunately we got through those days and he will usually sleep in his Moses basket for short naps a couple of times during the day now ( I say usually as i think he was awake all day today unless he was in my arms and I only managed to get a shower at 7pm!)

Dawn, my son (will be one month on Saturday) is the same exact way! He is only comforted by the breasts- I have tried everything. He took a dummy one night, it was a really bad crying night. Every week I tell myself it is just a growth spurt and it will get better. I hope it does for both of us so we can get some rest.

Your baby cannot over eat with breast milk. You might feel like a giant walking boob right now but it's normal. It's all a part if your baby growing, finding comfort, and adjusting your milk supply to what he needs. The constant feeding won' last forever. Just hang in there!! My breastfed son gained 20oz in 8 days when he was about a month old lol. But he's actually in the small side now just like his mama.

If he is falling asleep after one side maybe try to wake him a bit to take the second side, it might help him sleep longer (or it might not, some babies just like to cat nap).

Like everyone said, you can't overfeed a BF baby :) I tried to spread out feeds if I could but often they just want to feed and I would rather let them do that than deny them. Although nothing wrong with trying a dummy to spread it out more. Both mine had/have dummies but weren't really into them that much at the start but they did take to them eventually (DS2 a little too well at the moment lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->