Baby dies from diet of milk!!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ied-vitamin-deficiency.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

awful isn't it, nothing to do with veganism or breastfeeding, just neglectful parents. :(

From an article:

"they had a mistrust of traditional medicine and preferred to treat their children's complaints with advice from books.

"The couple did not follow the doctor's advice to take the baby to hospital when they went for her nine-month checkup and found she was suffering from bronchitis and was losing weight," he said. Instead they treated her with cabbage poultices, mustard and camphor and washed her with earth and clay instead of giving her baths, the court heard."

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://www.7sur7.be/7s7/fr/1505/Monde/article/detail/1243300/2011/03/30/Elle-refuse-d-arreter-d-allaiter-le-bebe-meurt-de-malnutrition.dhtml&ei=Tn-TTdDRMcGg8QPJ0cHmAw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCIQ7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Db%25C3%25A9b%25C3%25A9%2Bmeurt%2B%25C3%25A0%2Bpartir%2Bde%2Blait%2Bmaternel%26hl%3Den%26prmd%3Divnsb

"The couple did not follow the doctor's advice to take the baby to hospital when they went for her nine-month checkup and found she was suffering from bronchitis and was losing weight," he said. Instead they treated her with cabbage poultices, mustard and camphor and washed her with earth and clay instead of giving her baths, the court heard.

Taken from the Guardian

Obviously they were not uneducated as I seemed to think and did take the child to health care provider who gave them proper advice (maybe this should of been followed up). No wonder they are on trial!!

Quite a misleading headline there as there are clearly other things going on. Like others have said, a baby can live on breastmilk although obviously not ideal. Poor baby though.

I really hate how a lot of articles are making it out to seem like breastfeeding or being vegan is what killed this baby. The baby had health issues and the parents chose not to do anything because they didn't believe in conventional doctors, or whatever they claimed their reasoning was. It was because of their neglect for their child's wellbeing that the baby died, not because of breastfeeding or being vegan.

I know the media are highlighting it bf and being vegan as being the cause but there is a lot more to it!! The joys of the media, modern day propaganda!!

So sad. It's a basic neglect case though and as others have said has absolutely nothing to do with BF or vegan diets, both of which babies can thrive on - I know many chubby and healthy vegan kids!

I agree with Aliss. There is a lot more to this story than that. BLW works by allowing a baby to eat when they are ready and a lot of babies are still only just finding their feet with food at 11 months. Mother's milk is fine until around one. Food is for fun. There is more to this. 12lbs at 11 months, even by my little baby's standards, is teeny.

It says the trial will probably last until Friday and I will be waiting to see what the outcome will be!!

Disgusting. This is abuse and neglect (I'm not talking about BF or being vegan). The fact that they didn't seek medical help when the child was obviously ill. They might have realised their mistake and called an ambulance at the last minute but sadly it was too late. They failed the poor baby and put their beliefs before her.

I wonder why it wasn't followed up by some sort of healthcare/social services person after the DR saw she was losing weight and ill at 9 months old?

xx

It is very strange as the parents ran a vegan food company so obviously must have done extensive research and deleopment whilst looking at products for their company so were not uneducated, seems very much like neglect!!

I don't think this is at all a reflection on BF'ing or a vegan lifestyle. What I do think is its very sad and tragic that this child died because of its parents neglect and abuse- failure to meet the child's basic needs and failure get proper medical care. So preventable. Didn't anyone who saw this child at 12lbs not think to call social services? - a doctor, a friend, a family member? Horrible.

:nope:

I am just wondering what the health system is like in France, if they have HV, etc. Obviously here in the UK we can go to HV advice clinics and get baby weighed and advice but I presume maybe they have them but the parents didn't go along. I really hope it is a case of uneducated parents and not neglect, hopefully it will raise awareness to other mums. Poor baby!

There are advice clinics, run by paediatric nurses. They're not obligatory or anything though (I have never been). I stayed in hospital for 5 days which is the norm (private room and fantastic care), and your baby is checked out and then you're good to go.

I'm not sure what would happen if you were considered at risk, as obviously never been the case with me.

I guess no one noticed, but I don't see how not!! And I know they ignored the Drs advice but he should have bloody well followed it up, it is not normal for a 9 month old baby (when she was last seen by Dr) to weigh so little.

:( My baby is only 14lb at 13 months... now I feel bad thinking I must be doing something wrong. I know it's stupid but some babies really are just that small and I have one of them. He was BF until 11 months but was on solids from 6. He has never been a big eater. I can't force food into him so he was mostly BF as he was refusing more than one solid meal a day up till 9 months. He eats well now but is still tiny.
If I thought he had an underlying condition (which I did) I would do whatever the doctors said to make sure he was getting the help he needed. I don't understand how you could stand by knowing your baby had a problem but because you didn't believe in 'medicine' and whatnot letting it go untreated :( I really don't get that. As it turns out my baby is just very very small but if it had been a food absorption problem of some kind you can bet I would have spent all the money in the world at doctors and for medicine or special food for him.

:( My baby is only 14lb at 13 months... now I feel bad thinking I must be doing something wrong. I know it's stupid but some babies really are just that small and I have one of them. He was BF until 11 months but was on solids from 6. He has never been a big eater. I can't force food into him so he was mostly BF as he was refusing more than one solid meal a day up till 9 months. He eats well now but is still tiny.
If I thought he had an underlying condition (which I did) I would do whatever the doctors said to make sure he was getting the help he needed. I don't understand how you could stand by knowing your baby had a problem but because you didn't believe in 'medicine' and whatnot letting it go untreated :( I really don't get that. As it turns out my baby is just very very small but if it had been a food absorption problem of some kind you can bet I would have spent all the money in the world at doctors and for medicine or special food for him.

:hugs: But you did (and would do) right. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound mean saying not normal (my daughter is small too but eats like a horse), but because they are smaller you surely check them out. And once you're told there's something wrong you do something about it!

I cannot understand these people that put their beliefs before their child's welfare.

I HATE THIS STORY SO MUCH. it makes me so angry. i read the article in the daily mail so no surprise it just read as "vegan diets kill children". terribly sad story but it had nothing to do with the parents' diet.

I HATE THIS STORY SO MUCH. it makes me so angry. i read the article in the daily mail so no surprise it just read as "vegan diets kill children". terribly sad story but it had nothing to do with the parents' diet.

Well it kinda does (have to do with the mother's diet), but is not a reflection of all vegan's diets just as it is not a reflection of all bfing mothers.

I don't understand what it has to do with mother's diet. Some overweight/obese breastfeeding mothers are in fact, very malnourished, despite the amount of food they eat. Just because she was vegan does not mean she was completely malnourished. Perhaps she was - but vegan doesn't mean eating nothing but grass.

The baby was seriously ill (bronchitis, pneumonia) and they refused treatment and continued proper medical care.

The DM article stated that she died of vitamin deficiency, due to the mother's diet. Then again that newspaper is pretty crappy so prob shouldn't rely on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->