Baby dies from diet of milk!!!

I HATE THIS STORY SO MUCH. it makes me so angry. i read the article in the daily mail so no surprise it just read as "vegan diets kill children". terribly sad story but it had nothing to do with the parents' diet.

Well it kinda does (have to do with the mother's diet), but is not a reflection of all vegan's diets just as it is not a reflection of all bfing mothers.

a huge portion of the world's population have vitamin deficiencies. if a breastfed baby of an omnivorous mother died would a headline say "omnivorous diet kills baby"?

It has nothing to do with the mom being a vegan. A vegans diet is very healthy, it just means they don't have animal products or by products, and research isn't all that clear if animal products are healthy for us (red meat can cause heart disease and cow's milk has a harsh protein in it that can cause cancer). The first couple articles that covered this story didnt' have the whole story. The baby died because he had an infection and didnt' get proper care, and a later article said the baby died from a diet of only apple juice and soy milk.

Also weight has nothing to do with it either. I have met plenty of 12lb 1 year olds. My ds1 weighs almost the same amount as my ds2 and my ds1 eats non-stop. Some kids are just different.

I read this in the daily mail online (sorry, guilty pleasure :blush:) and hated how the headline insinuated how terrible bf/veganism is. As others have rightly pointed out, the poor baby was clearly ill and the parents did nothing to prevent this. They deserve to rot in hell for the suffering they inflicted upon their innocent child. Sweet dreams little one... :cry:

I can not understand how the mother could watch her child wilt before her eyes. It's nothing do with diet but everything to do with lack of medical care. I've not watched my baby be ill but I know it must be horrible.

I thought I had a bad cold made worse by being 8mths pregnant. My mum came to visit and was horrified by what she found an insisted in calling my Doc to get them to make a house call as she didn't think I was well enough to attend the appointment I'd made for that afternoon. Turns out my "bad cold" was swine flu and pnumonia I ended up in hospital for 7 days. My mum never settled until my baby was safely delivered and we were both home a month or so later.

I HATE THIS STORY SO MUCH. it makes me so angry. i read the article in the daily mail so no surprise it just read as "vegan diets kill children". terribly sad story but it had nothing to do with the parents' diet.

Well it kinda does (have to do with the mother's diet), but is not a reflection of all vegan's diets just as it is not a reflection of all bfing mothers.

a huge portion of the world's population have vitamin deficiencies. if a breastfed baby of an omnivorous mother died would a headline say "omnivorous diet kills baby"?

Fair enough, I suppose not. I wasn't attacking vegan diets by the way, I thought when I first read the article that she was told her baby was lacking in certain vitimans but didn't do anything to change. I'm confused now as to what the cause of death was?!

And I know all about vitamin deficiencies - in Switzerland they check bf babies at 9 months for iron deficincy as it's common and people don't realise. I had made sure Sofia had a lot of iron rich foods and thought my diet was good.. but she was deficient. Of course we both straight away took supplements, which I still take (she doesn't need them anymore, I get her checked).

I dont know how the daily mail gets away with writing such crap. This poor baby didnt die from the vegan diet or the fact she was BF it was down to piss poor parenting.

I remember when the wonderful daily mail headlined that slings killed babys and i went round Rivers great grandparents with her in a sling and got "didnt you know those kill babies???!!"

it's definitely portrayed all wrong in the article. They were neglectful by not giving her proper care and taking her to the hospital on advice of doctors. For THAT alone they deserve the maximum sentence.

The other issues are irrelevant - vegan or bf has nothing to do with it. yes, so maybe she was more susceptible to infections and was deficient in some vitamins that she wasn't getting from solids, but the key is she should have had treatment when it was advised at the check up not treat it with some herbal remedies alone. Alternative medicines are great and everything, but when they're relied on instead of traditional medicine in a serious condition they can really cause damage.

Sorry if I offended moms of smaller babies :hugs: I should have known better :wacko: A diet of soy milk and apple juice for an infant is outrageous. Soy milk does not have anywhere near the proper macronutrients for an infant.

Fair enough, I suppose not. I wasn't attacking vegan diets by the way, I thought when I first read the article that she was told her baby was lacking in certain vitimans but didn't do anything to change. I'm confused now as to what the cause of death was?!

And I know all about vitamin deficiencies - in Switzerland they check bf babies at 9 months for iron deficincy as it's common and people don't realise. I had made sure Sofia had a lot of iron rich foods and thought my diet was good.. but she was deficient. Of course we both straight away took supplements, which I still take (she doesn't need them anymore, I get her checked).

Oh I know you weren't attacking vegan diets hun. Sorry if I seemed confrontational, it wasn't intentional, I just hate how this story is being portrayed in the media. The poor baby died of neglect, I don't think the mother's diet is to blame.

I'm not sure what the official cause of death was as I'm reluctant to believe what the daily mail reports!

The French newspapers have just as sensationalising headlines. Mostly focussing on the vegan diet.

I just found a story that said the couple are claiming they are victims in the matter because they were lead to believe that they were following a healthy lifestyle.

It then goes on to say that they were living in a house with no heating, and that is was in a state of "deplorable hygeine". It says she fell ill and that her illness was aggravated by her diet (or lack of).

I still think this is just such an awful story :( Sorry if I got people thinking I was offended-- I was a little but it's more to do with the fact that everyone IRL (and I do mean everyone) looks at me like I don't feed LO or something and it does get upsetting after a while. I should have known better than to get upset but sometimes you really do feel bad about things even when they aren't your fault :flower:

Disgusting articles and disgusting parents!

Really selfish, they were recommended to hospitalize their baby because he had bronchitis and instead thought cabbage leaves would cure him. They are sick, horrid people. My baby weighs 5kg now at 7 weeks old.

That is terrible, the poor baby! My OH doesn't like western medicine but when I told him about this he said that even though he doesn't like western medicine he'd never let his own beliefs endanger his child. I can't see how anyone could just let their child suffer like that, if you've tried your own methods and they're clearly not working then you have to trust that you don't know better than the doctors!

I still think this is just such an awful story :( Sorry if I got people thinking I was offended-- I was a little but it's more to do with the fact that everyone IRL (and I do mean everyone) looks at me like I don't feed LO or something and it does get upsetting after a while. I should have known better than to get upset but sometimes you really do feel bad about things even when they aren't your fault :flower:

I didn't mean to offend anyone with smaller babies just in case you noticed my post! Macy is teeny - under the 2nd centile for weight, nothing I can do to fatten her up. I just meant that the poor baby was ill and LOSING weight so they should have done something about it but didn't!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->