Baby expenses for new born

Interesting list! But things are WAY more expensive in Ireland! :(

I'm also going to breastfeed (hopefully)! I've already booked in to a breastfeeding class before the baby is born and there's lots of support here for women who want to breastfeed. It's such a turnaround for Ireland; there were a lot of prudes about years ago but it's much more normal now.

We're also planning to baby wear! I've been told that its hard to predict which one is right for your baby though.

I'd love to co-sleep but I'm a very messy sleeper and I'd be afraid I'd roll over on baby!

Bex - might just have to stalk you too :)

When you co-sleep you do see differently than normal. You are super aware of baby even when asleep.

Best thing to do, if you/baby wants to co-sleep but you are worried is the have your partner stay up and watch you sleep the first couple of times you try it. That will help you gain your confidence.

When you co-sleep you do see differently than normal. You are super aware of baby even when asleep.

Best thing to do, if you/baby wants to co-sleep but you are worried is the have your partner stay up and watch you sleep the first couple of times you try it. That will help you gain your confidence.

Thanks celesse! I've heard that before, that I'd be super aware of baby. Perhaps it's a case of getting comfortable with the idea.

Lol I'd love to see my husband stay awake and watch us sleep but he finds it ridiculously hard to stay awake when he's tired so he'd only fall asleep anyway :haha:

Thank you for the pump sterilizer! Sound like it should really be in the basic list.
Interesting point about women with back issues and baby wearing. I don't have any issues (well, I slouch terribly but that's because I work in front of the laptop the whole day), but DH has a sensitive lower back. With baby wearing though the stress goes to the upper part of the body, I guess. Is that right? I have held other people's babies but never worn one, so I am clueless.
Red, I know! I start to feel really lucky that we live here, about the prices. In Greece all the baby stuff belongs to some famous brand and you have to pay ridiculous prices even for baby clothes. Of course, if we were in Greece we would get lots of stuff from older cousins, but the living cost and unemployment rates there are just not worth it right now.
Celesse I have read about it too, being more aware when sleeping with the baby. I am a peaceful sleeper and sleep on my side -usually even the same side the whole night- and don't even move. I have read that the baby is supposed to sleep tucked between the wall and mama and that papa should just be at the furthest end of the bed :D (well, it was not phrased like that, but that's what I thought they meant).
About the formula, I searched a bit further and saw that sooo many moms recommend not having it at all, so I will go with this advise. Makes sense to me.
Thank you all for your great input so far!

Maybe I'll just have to make a trip to the Netherlands to do some shopping coco! ;) I know what you mean about Greece right now, my friend left almost a year ago too because of the job situation. I hope it recovers soon because it's such a beautiful country.

Maybe I'll just have to make a trip to the Netherlands to do some shopping coco! ;) I know what you mean about Greece right now, my friend left almost a year ago too because of the job situation. I hope it recovers soon because it's such a beautiful country.

We hope so too. Basically we have a long term plan and we hope that by the time our kiddo is 5 and ready for school, we will be able to go back. Quite optimistic, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

I hope it works out for you coco, it's hard being away from home I'm sure. I loved Greece when I visited; though it was sad as there were lots of protests happening in Athens at the time and I got speaking to lots of people who had it really tough. It's bad in Ireland too but we have a good (some would argue 'too good') social welfare system. I think with both our country's it wasn't the recession that was the problem, but the corrupt people in government who have screwed everything up multiple times.

Think positive - if you have a goal of getting back to Greece by the time your LO is 5, then you will reach that goal! :)

I hope it works out for you coco, it's hard being away from home I'm sure. I loved Greece when I visited; though it was sad as there were lots of protests happening in Athens at the time and I got speaking to lots of people who had it really tough. It's bad in Ireland too but we have a good (some would argue 'too good') social welfare system. I think with both our country's it wasn't the recession that was the problem, but the corrupt people in government who have screwed everything up multiple times.

Think positive - if you have a goal of getting back to Greece by the time your LO is 5, then you will reach that goal! :)

I totally agree with you about the cause of the recession. But I do also blame the people for not being strong enough to vote for new, young politicians. Anyway, I don't want to turn this happy pregnancy thread into a political analysis one :D

On other news, we bought our very first onesie yesterday, to celebrate the 11 week scan good news :) It's in an off-white color and I am planning to embroider it. Then, it will get ruined in seconds with spit ups :D

Have any of you ladies bought anything yet, just to celebrate or to start nesting?

Naive first time mum question.

I'm planning on EBF - how important is it to have a pump? I just presumed I wouldn't need one because we don't have childcare requirements that would require baby to be too far away from my boobs at any given time :p

If all goes well with breastfeeding and you are never away from baby then you won't need a pump. If you decide to give the occasional bottle of EBM (expressed breast milk) then a manual pump is handy.

The electric pump is useful if you need to express on a regular basis. This could be cos you are giving a bottle a day, working, ect. It could also be cos you have supply issues and/or need to supplement. I've expressed for both of mine in the early days. If you have a low supply expressing after a feed helps increase your supply. Also some babies have weight gain issues, or latching issues and they need extra milk in the short term.

You could probably manage without a breastpump and be able to get one if you needed it. My pump is a medela swing, very good pump, goes for about £80, so its the kind of thing that if you saw on deal it culd be worth getting.

Coco we also bought a couple of items to celebrate! A little hat and baby's first teddy bear!

Ps sorry for my political rant!

Coco we also bought a couple of items to celebrate! A little hat and baby's first teddy bear!

No no no! Don't be sorry! :thumbup: I am all about politics myself. I just some times feel that I bore others, who -fortunately- cannot relate with the issues of my home country, that's all.

My friend suggested hats with ties because somehow the ones without always slip. Of course that's just a celebration buy so who cares about the details?

Naive first time mum question.

I'm planning on EBF - how important is it to have a pump? I just presumed I wouldn't need one because we don't have childcare requirements that would require baby to be too far away from my boobs at any given time :p

I don't think ANY first time mom questions should be considered naive :blush:

Thank you so much Celesse, I'll give it some consideration :)

No no no! Don't be sorry! :thumbup: I am all about politics myself. I just some times feel that I bore others, who -fortunately- cannot relate with the issues of my home country, that's all.

My friend suggested hats with ties because somehow the ones without always slip. Of course that's just a celebration buy so who cares about the details?

Haha well I know I bore others with my political stuff - I tend to talk a lot of crap :winkwink:

Oh cool, the hat I got had a tie on it. It's so hard to imagine a tiny little head fitting in to that hat actually. I actually cried (a lot) in the shop buying the baby stuff. DH was like 'woah' :blush:

Haha well I know I bore others with my political stuff - I tend to talk a lot of crap :winkwink:

Oh cool, the hat I got had a tie on it. It's so hard to imagine a tiny little head fitting in to that hat actually. I actually cried (a lot) in the shop buying the baby stuff. DH was like 'woah' :blush:

I cry at least twice a day with baby stuff, baby pictures, mom pictures, baby posts and of course when I am on Baby and Bump. I just try not to cry (loudly) in front of DH :D

Bex, did you have any problems with babywearing after you hurt your coccyx? I have recurring upper back spasm and I'm not sure whether that's going to affect my ability to carry baby in a sling.

I can't remember the name just now but I've seen a cot that adjusts to the height of your bed and the side comes down easily. I think it will be a good co-sleeping compromise as baby can be next to you and you can reach out and touch her but I won't be panicking about me or DH squishing her.

I was worried about that at first but not at all. I still have issues with my coccyx, one of those things thats never going to go away i presume, and i still carry my daughter whos 3 with no issues in a sling and back carrier.

The new squish is going to be a dream to carry after that heavy weight :haha:

I'm also going to breastfeed (hopefully)! I've already booked in to a breastfeeding class before the baby is born and there's lots of support here for women who want to breastfeed. It's such a turnaround for Ireland; there were a lot of prudes about years ago but it's much more normal now.

We're also planning to baby wear! I've been told that its hard to predict which one is right for your baby though.

I'd love to co-sleep but I'm a very messy sleeper and I'd be afraid I'd roll over on baby!

Wooop we can have a stalker party. With caffine free tea and lots of cake. :haha:

You'd be surprised, they don't half make their presence known in bed. The amount of times i've been sucker punched in the boob!

Wooop we can have a stalker party. With caffine free tea and lots of cake. :haha:

You'd be surprised, they don't half make their presence known in bed. The amount of times i've been sucker punched in the boob!

Oh yeah I imagine babies aren't the most considerate bed companions! :haha:

Just wanted to give you all a shout out :) I'm in England, first time mummy, and me and OH are planning on baby wearing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding and if possible, cloth nappies! These ways all feel right for us and can't wait for all of it..
With co-sleeping I have never worried in the slightest, I just feel sure it would be impossible for me to harm my baby in my sleep, it would go against our instinct. Co-sleeping becomes dangerous if alcohol or anything that affects the brain becomes involved, other than that I think it's safe, if you're doing it right with the blankets etc :) That's my opinion any way hehe

I hope you don't mind me asking on this thread about the cloth nappies that were good for your newborns? Or what you other ftm's are thinking? I think nappies is one of the things that I am the least sure of...

By the way, good list, lots of important things on there! I notice there is no feeding pillow/giant pillow on there, that's something I've seen lots of mums say that they wouldn't be without xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->