Baby expenses for new born

I hope you don't mind me asking on this thread about the cloth nappies that were good for your newborns? Or what you other ftm's are thinking? I think nappies is one of the things that I am the least sure of...

Cloth diapers are really confusing until you actually get your hands on some and start using them. I had not a clue about anything and then felt like a fool because of how simple they really are. For newborns, a lot of people go with a prefold held together with a snappy or folded into a cover. That's probably your cheapest option and it won't be very long before baby fits into your non-newborn stash.

In terms of basics, we always ended up having skin to skin during baths, so there was no need for a tub or thermometer. I found the hooded towels to be the most useless piece of crap ever made and we just used our normal towels. Or take your money and buy some lush adult towels to use on the baby. "Baby towels" tend to be poor quality and not very absorbent.
If you're only going to be pumping occasionally, I wouldn't waste the time/space/money on a sterilizer. You really only need to clean it with soap and hot water. If you're going to sterilize it, it's easy to just boil the hand pump in a pot on the stove.
If you've got some free time on your hands right now, it's really easy to make cloth wipes out of soft flannels. Cloth wipes are really expensive here, though, and I'm cheap. And I adore the prints I found to make my wipes from. There's nothing like giving yourself a reason to smile when you're wiping up a tiny person's poop.
I know you already said you wouldn't, but I want to reiterate: please, please don't have formula just in case. I did that and it sends chills down my spine to realize just how much closer its presence in my home brought me to failing.
Perhaps I missed it, but I don't see anything on your list for storing dirty diapers between washes? A wetbag or pail liner (or both)? Also, make sure your cream is cloth diaper safe. Coconut oil is fantastic. And your detergent is cloth diaper safe. This can vary by manufacturer, but here's a good link:
https://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

ETA: and I definitely needed/need more than 10 wipes. I have cloth wipes everywhere: diaper bag, changing area, living room, in the car, in the kitchen. They're just plain useful to have on hand wherever you happen to be, for butts and faces/hands.

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses on this thread! That's so great!
About the giant pillow/feeding pillow, any suggestions ladies? Is it really useful or you could live without?
I like that a sterilizer can be skipped and a pot can be used instead.
As for cloth diapers, I was thinking to buy a few newborn AI2s (all in two: the ones that are like a regular diaper, made out of fabric, but the absorbent insert can be taken out, so they dry faster).
And yes, I guess those dirty diapers need to go somewhere :( Where do you suggest? Wet bag? Bin?
I have heard that wipies and burp clothes you can never have too many so I am planning to start making my own :)
Nice to read that baby-wearing works just fine even with back issues!

Thank you for reminding about the formula all the time. I think that many of us first time moms don't realize how easily frustration can send you for a bottle of formula. So it cannot be said enough :)

Keep the great tips coming ladies!!! :happydance:

If you plan to BF - get the pillow. I didn't until Maddie was about 12 weeks old (I only intended to BF for 2 weeks) As soon as I got it, I wished I'd invested sooner. We still use it now in the play room and I'll reclaim it once I need it. (When baby is 4/5 months old you can also prop them up with them).

It's actually really useful for later in pregnancy to get comfy on the sofa and to sleep with - in the third trimester things can get a little uncomfy.

For what it's worth ladies - breastfeeding is great - it's exhausting at the start (first 12 weeks) and then definitely gets easier as the months pass. BUT please don't make it the be all and end all... there is nothing wrong with giving bottles and or formula... these forums can be a little damaging to your self esteem if you think you have failed if it doesn't work out for you.

My mum told me to try it for 2 weeks (and she'd kick my ass if I gave up in the hospital)... I then did 2 weeks at a time - until 12 weeks - Maddie then refused a bottle and I just kept going until 14 months... With this baby I will go 2 weeks at a time - and if I stop at 2 weeks that's fine, if I am still going at 14 months, that's fine too. :) xx

Cloth Nappy wise, I make my own ai2's and testing a fitted pattern so mine will mostly be my own. I mostly buy WAHM made as it supports others like me. I can recommend some great ladies who make them if you'd like? I'd try a mixture of different makers and see which one fits your baby the best. There are some great reselling pages on facebook if you dont get along with a brand.

Yes cloth wipes as well. And reusable nursing pads and postpartum pads. More absorbent than disposables and without all the chemicals that dry your skin out. Oh and a nice natural nipple cream. Earth Mama Angel Baby i will be using.

If you plan to BF - get the pillow. I didn't until Maddie was about 12 weeks old (I only intended to BF for 2 weeks) As soon as I got it, I wished I'd invested sooner. We still use it now in the play room and I'll reclaim it once I need it. (When baby is 4/5 months old you can also prop them up with them).

It's actually really useful for later in pregnancy to get comfy on the sofa and to sleep with - in the third trimester things can get a little uncomfy.

For what it's worth ladies - breastfeeding is great - it's exhausting at the start (first 12 weeks) and then definitely gets easier as the months pass. BUT please don't make it the be all and end all... there is nothing wrong with giving bottles and or formula... these forums can be a little damaging to your self esteem if you think you have failed if it doesn't work out for you.

My mum told me to try it for 2 weeks (and she'd kick my ass if I gave up in the hospital)... I then did 2 weeks at a time - until 12 weeks - Maddie then refused a bottle and I just kept going until 14 months... With this baby I will go 2 weeks at a time - and if I stop at 2 weeks that's fine, if I am still going at 14 months, that's fine too. :) xx

Thank you Rickles. That takes some of the pressure off. On the other hand, I feel that if you don't have your heart set on it, it is easier to stop trying. I guess it also depends on everyone's personality. I am very goal-oriented, so having in mind that I want to breast feed as long as my baby does, helps me look into all the resources that could make this possible, in cases there are challenges. I definitely don't think though that women who do not breastfeed are less of a mom! :flower:

Cloth Nappy wise, I make my own ai2's and testing a fitted pattern so mine will mostly be my own. I mostly buy WAHM made as it supports others like me. I can recommend some great ladies who make them if you'd like? I'd try a mixture of different makers and see which one fits your baby the best. There are some great reselling pages on facebook if you dont get along with a brand.

Yes cloth wipes as well. And reusable nursing pads and postpartum pads. More absorbent than disposables and without all the chemicals that dry your skin out. Oh and a nice natural nipple cream. Earth Mama Angel Baby i will be using.

Please do recommend cloth nappy ladies Bexi! As I am in the Netherlands I will first look around here, in order to save on shipping costs but also in order to get some cloth nappy support, if I find people in my area. But I am sure that many others on this thread are interested.

I am all for supporting moms who work from home, as I am going to be one of them as well :)

How many nappies do you suggest buying before the baby is born? Or would you go with newborn disposables and then once the baby is home, order based on his/her actual size? I feel it's a bit like breastfeeding and formula: once disposables are in, it's more likely that we won't try cloth, so I wanted to avoid them. What say you?

I have heard great recommendations about Earth Mama Angel Baby products.

And I have one quite intimate question. Does anyone know if the perineum massage can actually help prevent tears?

Congratulations on getting this far co co tutu! Your list looks good :) but contrary to other suggestions I would not be without a can of formula "in case" I was silly enough to do that with my ds when he was born and on the 4th night I was in so much agony I had no choice but to send DF to get formula at 2am! Poor ds was screaming because he was so hungry and I just couldn't feed him :( my nipples managed to heal a bit and I exclusively breasted for the next six months. Good luck!

Congratulations on getting this far co co tutu! Your list looks good :) but contrary to other suggestions I would not be without a can of formula "in case" I was silly enough to do that with my ds when he was born and on the 4th night I was in so much agony I had no choice but to send DF to get formula at 2am! Poor ds was screaming because he was so hungry and I just couldn't feed him :( my nipples managed to heal a bit and I exclusively breasted for the next six months. Good luck!

Thank you for your input Wishing! It is important to hear the stories of different people, as every pregnancy, birth and newborn is different. I can imagine your frustration with a screaming baby :( (Actually, I probably can't... yet :D) Great that you managed to breast feed in the end!

Let me do a little bit of research and see if there are any wahm nappy makers in your area. Better to buy local :)

On the UK side, luscious little somethings, little gumnut, baba's bum are great. We will be selling workhorses nappies from the end of the month at eco rainbow.

There are loads of nappy makers in australia and america but the shipping and customs are so high.

Your best bet is to join some co-ops and get a discount off different makers.

Start off is hard as a good friend brought loads of small and newborns and he was bigger than them at birth.

I'd recommend some one size fits most and maybe a couple of smalls and see depending on size. I will be using cloth nappies with disposable liners at first, newborn poo is gross. Then go onto fleece liners once the poop has hardened.

I have no idea about the perineum massage, but i'll be looking into it as i tore something terrible last time.

Oh another thing for your list. Make sure you get either a laxative or foods that act as laxatives for after birth. No-one warns you but your first poop is so unbelievably painful. Far TMI haha

The award of who can say poo or poop the most times in a post is awarded to me haha.

Awkward.

:D :D :D
Well, those are nappy posts so I guess no one is going to judge you. I know I am not!
Thanks for the laxative tip ;) I never had issues but I guess pregnancy changes all we knew about our bodies.

As for the perineum massage, a friend of a friend it did it the last months of her pregnancy and at the end her partner had to perform it to her, as she couldn't reach, and she said she didn't tear at all. She used almond oil, I think. I just wonder if it actually helps or if it's a bit like stretch marks, that some women never get, while other will get no matter how much coconut oil they rub on their belly. My mom doesn't have any, so I hope I have taken after her.

Just had a look at the opening post, lol. I wish mine was a low cost as yours.

Sorry but I did my costing last night and excluded most of the small items, I did however include nursery furniture and a pram and my total came to over £2700!

Uk has to be ridiculously expensive, don't know how the heck were going to afford this, but at least my family are pretty generous.

Sorry but I did my costing last night and excluded most of the small items, I did however include nursery furniture and a pram and my total came to over £2700!

Uk has to be ridiculously expensive, don't know how the heck were going to afford this, but at least my family are pretty generous.

The prime and furniture do cost quite a lot, even second hand. We are planning to use just clear boxes to store baby cloths and diapers. We have seen this work quite well for friends and as we are renting here, we do not want to accumulate furniture.

We are not going to get a pram at least at first. We will be baby-wearing and I know that a pram is very useful especially if grandparent are going to take the child for walks, but we live about 5 countries away from our parents :) My grandmother has already offered to give us the money for a pram though, which is great, and I know that we will come back with tons of things after summer holidays in Greece, from family.

I have heard it from so many people that UK is ridiculously expensive. If I lived there I would just go for second hand items and search for facebook groups of moms in your area, who are looking to sell/give for free stuff they no longer need.

Other than a cot what furniture do you actually need? Normal chest of drawers and wardrobe work fine. We just used a spare set of chest of drawers to begin with. Those fancy nursing chairs are a waste of money too, just get an Ikea Poang or similar. Or just feed baby in bed. Those change table things are a bit of a waste too. Once baby gets a bit bigger you can't use them as baby can roll off. Better just have a changing mat on the floor and sit with baby, or on the bed while you sit down.

The only other item of furniture we are buying is a chest of drawers/ changing table which we both have decided is a necessity. We have fitted wardrobes. Don't like the feeding chair things, not my style.

Car seats are expensive, Moses basket is expensive. I haven't picked top of the range either. The most expensive item is my pram and I've just priced a few that I like today all coming in at the same range. Pram is essential, I don't like babies being carried around that early, I rather they were flat on back as I've heard that's best for development. Plus it's a summer baby, well be out all the time.

The only other item of furniture we are buying is a chest of drawers/ changing table which we both have decided is a necessity. We have fitted wardrobes. Don't like the feeding chair things, not my style.

Car seats are expensive, Moses basket is expensive. I haven't picked top of the range either. The most expensive item is my pram and I've just priced a few that I like today all coming in at the same range. Pram is essential, I don't like babies being carried around that early, I rather they were flat on back as I've heard that's best for development. Plus it's a summer baby, well be out all the time.

Not sure where you heard that, but flat on the back is probably the worst possible position for a baby's development. They're not working neck or core muscles, if they're in a stroller, they're not having any human touch while in there (which is incredibly important for development and sense of well-being, temperature and hormone regulation), being gently 'jostled' and having fluid move over the inner ear has actually been found to be incredibly beneficial to brain development, being upright after eating helps move wind and aids in digestion, and being upright attached to a moving caregiver works the core muscles in a similar way as riding a horse.
If you don't want to babywear, that's of course your choice, but don't make the choice based off that reason, because it's crazily false.

Re: dirty diapers: I have several wetbags for when we're out and two pail liners for his diaper pail (so one can be in use while the other's in the wash). My pail is a cheapo, hip-high plastic garbage pail with a step opener. Some use something called a hanging wetbag, which is exactly what it sounds like and zippers closed at the top. Wet bags are multi-functional (wet clothes, wipes for on-the-go, carrying clean diapers out and about) and an essential, imo, for cloth diaperers.

Not sure where you heard that, but flat on the back is probably the worst possible position for a baby's development. They're not working neck or core muscles, if they're in a stroller, they're not having any human touch while in there (which is incredibly important for development and sense of well-being, temperature and hormone regulation), being gently 'jostled' and having fluid move over the inner ear has actually been found to be incredibly beneficial to brain development, being upright after eating helps move wind and aids in digestion, and being upright attached to a moving caregiver works the core muscles in a similar way as riding a horse.
If you don't want to babywear, that's of course your choice, but don't make the choice based off that reason, because it's crazily false.

Re: dirty diapers: I have several wetbags for when we're out and two pail liners for his diaper pail (so one can be in use while the other's in the wash). My pail is a cheapo, hip-high plastic garbage pail with a step opener. Some use something called a hanging wetbag, which is exactly what it sounds like and zippers closed at the top. Wet bags are multi-functional (wet clothes, wipes for on-the-go, carrying clean diapers out and about) and an essential, imo, for cloth diaperers.

I am glad you replied to this post, because it was also opposite to what I have been reading, but I am a newbie, so I am not too confident. And there is so much contradicting info out there! However what I have read so far also leads me to believe that baby wearing with a safe wrap/sling/carrier is the best for the baby's development and I am going to stick with that.

Thanks for the suggestions on how to handle cloth diaper mess :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->