Baby has a cold- any advice please?

noree

Reaction score
Hi, my LO has developed a nasty cold and we were up all night listening to her as she struggled to breath, coughed, spluttered and all the usual symptoms...so scary tho! I took her to the doctors this morning and she had her chest, ears, throat checked and they were fine, so it's a case of waiting for it to pass. Just wondered if you had any advice or tips on how to help her? Can't believe how how much it freaked me out hearing her choking and having to whip her out of her moses basket to help her breath, never knew a cold could be so scarey. Doc gave her good check but not really much advice other than sit it out x:cry:

You could try propping up the head end of her cot or basket, saline drops can help little one's snuffiness (but I've been advised to use it before a feed) and there are plug-in vaporisers with a vicks smell which can also help (though you might need to check if there are age guidelines for these). You could also try turning the shower on so bathroom steams up, then holding your little one in there for a short while.

Hope she's better soon! xxx

my lo has this too! ive been given saline drops, i was advised against the shower thing tho as it can lead to chest infections, something to do with the moisture or something, i tried one of the plug in things a calpol one but to be honest it not really had any effect....maybe the kalvol one might be better? hope you lo feels better soon xx

Karvol its a decongestant it works wonders breaking up the mucus xx

My LO has a horrible cold too and has passed it to me. I asked the chemist yesterday about using the plug in's or a steam bowl in the room but he advised not to as he said that baby's lungs are still developing and very very sensitive, he just said that calpol is the only thing to help and she will be fine!!! I'm trusting him and just using calpol :hugs::hugs:

My LO has a horrible cold too and has passed it to me. I asked the chemist yesterday about using the plug in's or a steam bowl in the room but he advised not to as he said that baby's lungs are still developing and very very sensitive, he just said that calpol is the only thing to help and she will be fine!!! I'm trusting him and just using calpol :hugs::hugs:

Do you use the calpol to reduce a temperature? or does it make little one just feel better in general when they have a cold? thanks x x

I used calpol and propped up the end of his cot. If any secondary things crop up (LO had bloody mucus) take back to Docs. Hope your LO gets well soon xx

just found this, hope it helps xx

https://www.thinkbaby.co.uk/newborn-health-and-safety/babies-and-the-common-cold/1458.html

Poppy has a cold at the moment too and has also passed it onto me! We also got saline drops and found they really help her! Hope this cold passes soon though cos its making her quite upset at times :o(

We took her to the drs to get her checked out just to be on the safe side and thankfully her chest was clear but they did say at her age feel free to bring her back as many times as you like to get her checked out - even if it was every day! I thought that was nice!

Poppy has a cold at the moment too and has also passed it onto me! We also got saline drops and found they really help her! Hope this cold passes soon though cos its making her quite upset at times :o(

We took her to the drs to get her checked out just to be on the safe side and thankfully her chest was clear but they did say at her age feel free to bring her back as many times as you like to get her checked out - even if it was every day! I thought that was nice!

Hi roxie, yeah my doc said the same, does make you feel better about things when they say that doesn't it. I hope your LO feels better soon x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->