Baby measuring smaller, possibly looking at delivering early. Also Braxton Hicks???

Brightxeyes

Reaction score
I've not put as much weight on in general with this pregnancy, but I've still always felt like I've had a good sized bump? Apparently not as I've measured behind during the third trimester, I went for a scan and the scan showed he wasn't far off what he should be (still a touch behind). Got measured again wednesday and I said well I've felt tight all week (more so than usual) so I feel smaller when it's happening. She said when she felt my belly though for baby he generally felt smaller anyway.

Got booked in for a scan this morning and they said despite everything looking healthy, blood flow, heart, movement, fluid around him, he is still behind. You know when they get the measurements on the screen? It gives an estimate on the screen for weeks and days, and it was saying like 32 weeks and 2 days even though I'm 34 weeks. He's just under the 10th percentile on the chart.

I saw the consultant straight after and he said I'd have a doppler scan next week at hospital, then another growth scan the week after, and I'd need CTG twice weekly as well. He even said they might give me the steroid injections today just incase they did need to deliver within the next few weeks, but then he went and discussed it with someone else and they agreed to see what my next check ups were like and make a decision on the steroids then.

I asked whether baby would be likely to come by himself early too, and he said possibly. So I'm just a bit panicky now.

I mentioned that on the weekend he was moving a touch less, but not quite as forceful in his movements as usual (baby is back to hurting me again all week now!) and he said if that happens again to call up as its still sort of slowing down. I also mentioned that all week I've felt more painfully tight (you know when you stand up, doesnt feel like I can stand up straight its so tight!)

I'm just wondering what would make them want to deliver early, like if he stays under the 10th percentile will they decide to deliver then or will a slight increase above it be enough to make them hold off a bit longer?!

I'm self employed and it's our busiest season coming up so kind of panicking over that also, feeling a little ill prepared now!

Going to try and have a chilled out evening and have a nice relaxed bath once my son's in bed! Just been a bit overwhelming today!

Remember it's your body and your baby, you can choose to monitor things a bit longer if you feel to bring him early is a bit extreme. I've measured two weeks behind all along and my midwife and consultant (I only see her because she likes to try put me off my homebirth :haha:) said it's only a concern if it starts measuring more than two weeks behind or stops increasing all together between appointments, strange how the type of care in these situations vary so much.

I was a bit shocked that they wanted to give me the steroids there and then just incase. Made me wonder if there was something a bit more that they knew?

But the sonographer was quite happy with the heart, fluid around the baby and the placenta blood flow, so I don’t see any other reason why there’d be a worry unless he didn’t progress on his weight?

I’ve felt quite anxious the whole pregnancy but I guess I’ve felt more rough too, so I’ve naturally just felt worried about everything!

I’d rather be induced on time than go over due anyway. I’m just too worried this time round to want to go over due!

Fingers crossed he has some steady progression and at least doesn’t fall behind! I’ve got to call up and pester them for a date if they haven’t got back to my by Wednesday (I’ll probably call Monday anyway!) and time because they didn’t have space apparently, so they’ve got to see where they can squeeze me in!

I am in a similar situation except I am 32 weeks and baby is measuring 2 weeks behind and 9th percentile. My doc has me on twice weekly non stress tests and a high definition ultrasound to confirm . The reason alot of doctors want to deliver by 37 weeks with this is because the chance of stillbirth increases after 37 weeks . We are waiting for the first nst and ultrasound to decide where we go from here . I would prefer myself to deliver at 37 weeks because she would do better outside then in if she keeps falling behind . I can understand how you feel though wanting him to stay in longer :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->