Baby on solids at 4 half months

trace123

mummy2oliver+pregnant
Reaction score
i have put my lo on to solids he has, 5spoons of porridge for breakfast, 1/2 jar for dinner, 1/2 jar for tea and a rusk for supper also milk through the day is all this to much to soon? he does eat everything but he is a big lad. any of your little ones eating the same? cheers trace.

im sooo exited to get Hannah onto solids but im going to try and wait as long as poss - all babys r different i think if your baby is ready they tell you :)

Harry was on solids at 9 weeks! he was draining 8oz bottles at 8weeks old so i held off for a week to see if it was a fluke but nope! he was ready! he has always been a good eater though!

apparently my big bro was on solids at 6 weeks because he was draining bottles!

my mum always said...babies dont read books, they dont know when they are meant to do things,so just go with it!

THANKS, i thought i was rushing him he is eating every thing we give him, still waking 2 or 3 times a night he was going 12 hrs with only 1 feed. trace.

Just as the opposite argument to this...

It's reccomended that you don't wean before 6 months, but obviously there are always exceptions and everyone needs to make their own decisions for what's best for their LO.

However, I would say be extremely careful with how much you're offering at such a young age. I personally think your current food routine is too much and food should in no way shape or form be replacing any drop of milk at his age, so just be careful!!

And waking during the night and draining 8oz bottles are not signs that a baby is ready for solids..

You need to do what's right for you and your LO but please make sure you make an informed decision xx

I absolutely agree. Please read up about baby digestive system and nutritional needs. Also be aware that many 'jars' of food have very little nutritional content for their volume (read the labels). If you feel you must wean early consider making your baby food if you can.

Just as the opposite argument to this...

It's reccomended that you don't wean before 6 months, but obviously there are always exceptions and everyone needs to make their own decisions for what's best for their LO.

However, I would say be extremely careful with how much you're offering at such a young age. I personally think your current food routine is too much and food should in no way shape or form be replacing any drop of milk at his age, so just be careful!!

And waking during the night and draining 8oz bottles are not signs that a baby is ready for solids..

You need to do what's right for you and your LO but please make sure you make an informed decision xx

I agree! Plus, at this age, all of their nutrition is suppose to come from bm or formula. It doesn't come from solids. There isn't enough nutrition in solids. More problems come from feeding solids too early also. It's just not a good idea at all.

I completely agree with the last 3 posts. Here are 2 good articles that might be worth looking over just to make sure you are completely informed about your decision and still feel it's what's needed right now :)

https://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/articles.asp?id=712

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

I completely agree with the above 4 posts. Yes all babies are different, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to disregard all the research behind the current recommendations.

Agree with above 5 posts, I know all babies are different and some do wean earlier than 6 months but you want to hold out as long as possible really so their digestive tract can mature, sometimes that does mean feeding more often than your neighbour but every baby is different.

i agree too with above. I dont have a huge opinion about early weaning, but i think it is too much too soon. Milk should be their main source of nutrition.I'm not saying you shouldnt wean, but i think your LO's menu is too much for one day.

Gosh that does seem rather alot, my LO is 7 months (starting weaning at 6 months) and he still doesnt eat that amount, how many bottles in a 24 hour period is your LO having? could you possibly up the ounces? there was a time my LO was having 5 9oz bottles a day and he was ok on this. x

if you sign up to hipp online they ssend you a weaning chart its great and tells you how to do it and the advise like keep all the bottle feeds and them offer the food after, i would look into it :) but you know your LO

My son had rice at 4mths but he stayed having JUST baby rice once a day untill he was 5mths x

cheers for all your advise. im breast feeding him so have no idea how much gets feeds around 6/7 times a day then 2/3 through the night. i think i will have a word with the health visitor on monday. trace.

We weaned at 5 months and 1 week on HV advice due to the insane amount LO was drinking. The HVs said that we should probably go through the early weaning process a little quicker than usual - ie get him onto 3 solid meals a day by 6 months. We are now 2 1/2 weeks in to the process and still having only 3 spoonfuls of porridge in the morning and a small tub of vegetable puree for lunch. So far his milk intake is unaffected but I would be uncomfortable about giving him much more than this at this stage.
Could you perhaps cut down to 2 meals a day? Or just a much smaller amount at each meal?

Myles is 4 and a half months and we started to wean just over a week ago, he has just one 'meal' a day, at lunch time and we have so far tried carrot, parsnip, apple and sweet potato purees, around 5 teaspoons each time and he really enjoys them, he has around 30-35 oz of formula a day - sometimes up to 40 in 7oz bottles. We are going to carry on like this for another couple of weeks and see how he goes before introducing a second meal, hope that helps :)

I think above poster has the ideal plan at the moment, i think your LO is on quite alot if you've only just started weaning. You kind of need to slowly introduce another meal not straight from no food to 3 meals a day, that is an awful lot for your LO's belly and could cause constipation x

i personally think unless ur child pushes the food away then your doing fine.
my daughter was drinking an insanly large amount at 9/10 weeks old and we spoke to the health visitor and she agreed with early weaning.
shes now 6 months and has her cereal in the morning,and thru the day has just under 2 jars of food.
they say a baby will eat and eat till they bust, but lily will very much let me kno wen shes had enough and i stop feeding her.
every baby is different and u shud just trust ur instincts, no books can tell u how to be a mother :D

good luck hun
xxxxx

i personally think unless ur child pushes the food away then your doing fine.
my daughter was drinking an insanly large amount at 9/10 weeks old and we spoke to the health visitor and she agreed with early weaning.
shes now 6 months and has her cereal in the morning,and thru the day has just under 2 jars of food.
they say a baby will eat and eat till they bust, but lily will very much let me kno wen shes had enough and i stop feeding her.
every baby is different and u shud just trust ur instincts, no books can tell u how to be a mother :D

good luck hun
xxxxx

Not to suggest that your experience isn't valid, but I think you posted in another thread that you weaned your LO at 10 weeks? By 6 months she is a long way into the weaning process. I got the impression that the OP is in the very early stages and I think the general consensus is to build up very slowly, particularly if starting early. As I mentioned, we were advised to wean a little early and to build up reasonably quickly but that my HV still advises taking nearly a month to get to solids three times a day. The menu described is possibly a bit too much too soon.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->