Baby rice??

Aidan's Mummy

Mummy to Aidan and Oliver
Reaction score
I asked my health visitor today if it was alright to give Aidan baby rice when he gets to 4 months and she said no.:? I'm really confused because everyone i know gives there babies it and i was really looking forward to seeing aidan have his first taste of food.
Is ok to give him it at 4 months or not??
xx

Its completely up to the mother, HV always recommend 6 months for weaning. I say give it to him when he is ready not just because he reaches an age :) If he is ready for it at 4 months or even before give it to him :) XxxX

the health guidelines state that they should wait til 26 weeks as their digestive system isnt mature enough to handle food, dont know how true that is but that'll be why she said no. You should do what you feel is best for Aidan. some people start at 3 months, some at 6. its individual.

im going to let jack get as close to 6 months as i can before i start feeding him , if he wants it sooner he will soon let me know , i will be honest i started feeding my 1st at 10 weeks as he needed it , he is now 14 & my other 2 were 4 months , but i will try & wait it out with jack . xx

Doctors are required to say that... but most dont wait that long, it really isnt necessary either. My dr told me at 3 months some babies are developed enough. Some arn't, it all depends entirely on the baby.

Dont give him it at 4months if he isnt showing any signs of being ready. If he is ready at 4months or before then its upto you to start. My HV stritcly said 6months too but my son was showing every sign he was ready so i started last week at 4months.

Dont give him it at 4months if he isnt showing any signs of being ready. If he is ready at 4months or before then its upto you to start. My HV stritcly said 6months too but my son was showing every sign he was ready so i started last week at 4months.

what are the signs they are ready??
xx

I will be doing baby led weaning with Alfie and wait til he shows he's ready for food. If your LO is ok on just milk then i wouldn't bother, they recommend 6 months now as they've found babies digestive system isn't mature enough until then

I started Helena at 4 months and got yelled at by the nurses, however my doctor said it was fine as she had a strong neck. She is now 5 months and I feed her some cereal or veggies once a day, but not everyday. They are usually fine on just formula until 6 months.

fin started at 3 months.... signs were he was able to sit up and he was very interested in my food. they were all the signs that i required. hv are given certain guidelines but some are able to think for themselves. my hv said do it when i felt it was needed. xx

it says 4months on the packet lol. im going to wait until shes ready. :)

I waited until 6 months but everybaby is different. they do have a growth spurt at 4 months x

i started at 11 weeks, katie was feedin for over an hour and not bein satisfied, she was eating her hands when we were eating and she was really interestedd in what we were eating. there were other signs aswell. i havent cut out any milk, i've just supplemented it with baby rice. we've not started any other foods (she's had some cereal the past couple of days but thats it), i want to hold out til 16 weeks for them.

at the end of the day, you'll know when he's ready, dont rush him into it just cos she's suddenly 16weeks, he'll let you know!! xx

Usually you start weaning them when they are polishing off full bottles and are still hungry.
However it was not the case with Lola, she simply stopped gaining weight and thats why I started weaning her at 4 months on baby cereal. Only you know when he's ready, you're the one that spends most time with him and know him better than anyone.
:hugs:

Usually you start weaning them when they are polishing off full bottles and are still hungry

Niamh is doing this now and I've no idea where I'm going wrong. She will polish off a full 8oz bottle without coming up for air and thats after BFing. I can't keep up with her. I simply dont have enough milk. I've tried sticking just to BFing but she was so hungry that I had to give in and give her a bottle. 8oz though is ridiculous!

I don't know what to do.

Harry feeds from me every few hours and is really unsettled between feeds, my HV has told me to top him up twice a day with formula to try and hold off weaning him, she said he is showing signs of being ready already, hes ALWAYS hungry!! he takes notice of us eating, he chews his hands all the time and he just seems ready but she said although she doesnt think we can hold him off for long that we should try holding him off for 6 weeks by giving him 2 bottles a day.
I dont have much milk when i express so i think i will have to start giving him formula on top.
My HV says although the guideline is 6 months she says not many babies actually get there x

Niamh chews her hands all the time too, and is constantly hungry. Surely there is no way she's ready for anything but milk though? She's only 9 weeks. I really don't want to give her anything else but my supply can't keep up with her. Surely BFing and then having an 8oz bottle isn't normal??

When she takes all the milk do you think its due to hunger or the comfort of nice warm milk? I sometimes think Harry seems starving hungry but then after a couple of mins of having it hes happy and it seems its just a nice comfort!
I wouldnt have thought Niamh would be ready for anything else yet..... what formula is she having? Is there a hungry baby version of it that you could try?

I don't want her on formula though :( I try to give her as much EBM as possible. I just don't know why my milk isn't enough. She'll feed for an hour solid then start throwing her head back and squealing for more milk. Its a certain squeal she makes that always means she wants more. If I give her bottle then she practically inhales it.

I did wonder if it was a problem with my flow, but surely she wouldn't stay latched on for 45mins/1 hour if there was a flow problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->