Baby rice??

No i would have thought if it was a flow problem then she would scream and fuss because its not coming out as fast as she wants.
I completely understand you not wanting to give formula,especially after you worked so hard to re-lactate.
Maybe its not that shes hungry all the time maybe she judt really enjoys feeding, my midwife has always told me to remember that babies dont always bf because theyre hungry..... it can be for a comfort cuddle, because they are tired, because something hurts etc etc so just because they feed a lot doesnt nessescarily mean they are hungry a lot do u know wat i mean?!? x

rawife, she might just be sucking because she's learnt how to do that. Renah CONSTANTLY sucks her hands.

I started Renah last week because:

She can hold her head up
She follows my food when I'm eating
She's lost her tongue-thrust mechanism
She was eating way too much milk
She never seemed satisfied

It cant hurt can it though?

Jasper is 14 weeks old, but it showing lots of signs of being ready - sits up in the highchair, doesn't seem satisfied after feeds, is starting to be interested when others are eating, his sleeps are shortening again (ahhh! We'd just gotten up to 7-8 hour night sleeps between feeds and he's dropped back to 3 -4 hours!!!)

I gave him 1 heaped teaspoon (volume once made up with breast milk) and 2 heaped teaspoons this morning. He was ABLE to eat them, opening his mouth as the spoon approached, he still does the tongue thrust, so it was a bit messy, but I kept putting it back in his mouth he did get it all down in the end.

Should I go ahead, provided it doesn't upset his tummy? I'm not going to hurt his disgestive system by giving it to him too early, am I?

If they don't want it, they'll let you know. When Renah doesn't want it anymore she puts her hands up to her mouth and blocks my hand.

If they've got all the signs then I think its fine.

Ohh heck was focusing on 4 months also!!! Lexie is already on hungry baby milk and feeds every 2 hours ish through the day and the bottles are 6oz!!! Was going to skip the baby rice and go straight for the steak and chips she's that hungry!!!!
Seriously though i really don't think she could go until 6 months. Think i'll stay focusing on the 4 months xxx

we didn't start till 6months as maddi was very satisfied with her feeds, she's been on hungry baby formula since she was a few weeks old and has slept through the night and always been in a good routine with bottles.

i personally had a run in with my hv as i said surely its just down to the individual baby, and they are simply there to give you the current guidelines.

i personally wouldn't go on age, i would go with what your baby is saying, if he's satisfied with bottles stick with them.

raf - can you possible speak to a nice hv? as niamh is so young bless her, i wouldn't no what to suggest as maddi is ff :hugs: x

chel - they used to say 12 weeks for baby rice, but they've done research which says that it can irritate their gut if given too early, thats why they now say 17 weeks at the earliest, every baby's ready at different stages tho, and tbh i dont think a bit of bland old baby rice is gona hurt!!

rafwife - are you still in touch with your lactation consultant? has she been feedin like that for a while? it could be that she's just havin a bit of a growth spurt and is just gettin your supply up. my HV said to me that they'll go a week or so feedin more and then your boobs realise they want more and start makin more to feed them more quickly if that makes any sense at all?? she also said some docs will advise early weaning for some babies so it might be worth just seein what she says. like sam said, if it was a flow problem she'd be pulling off and screaming. katie's started doin this this week, so i'm keepin an eye on it and really hoping my milk isnt going!!

I have a 15 week old and have just started giving her baby rice - was advised by hv that shouldn't really start till 17 weeks but if I feel she is ready then start her on baby rice only for first couple of weeks. the main sign I had was she started not sleeping through the night which she has done from about 7weeks old as soon as I gave her baby rice I have had good nights sleep again, she also can hold her head really well and she shows alot of interest in my food.

So in conclusion, use your mummy instincts and do what the hell you want x

I wouldn't, DH was researching food allergies and he found studies that showed that's a possibility of how they are formed, being given something too early, as in before 6 months. I know I don't have an LO in my hands yet, I certainly wouldn't want to risk them having a food allergy.

Yes, perhaps, but if your babies ready for food you can't leave them screaming for it :blush:

rafwife - do you have a local LLL leader who you can call??? Your HV shouldn't of said to give a bottle as the more your bubs feeds off you the more you will produce and be able to feed bubs, by givin a bottle you won't ever produce enough, bubs may of hit a growth spurt hence all the feeding!? which increases your supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->