Baby shower..is it rude?

nkbapbt

Double Preemie Momma
Reaction score
My mom just informed me that our family friend wants to throw a baby shower for me..which is SO nice and lovely! But I have bought so much stuff for our LO already, that I am really scared I will get doubles or too much clothing! So my questions are..

Is it rude or wrong of me to make a list of items we really need? (which my mom actually already asked me to do..)

And if that's not overly rude...would it be rude to say what exactly items/brands we would like?

I am very eco-friendly and we would prefer more natural stuff..or stuff I have reviewed and really like. But is that rude to say for example "Fisher Price Rainforest Jumperoo"?

Or would it be better to suggest a few different brands/models/items we would really like and just hope for the best?

Or am I just being an overly picky cow and I should be happy with whatever I get?! :blush:

Thanks ladies!

I dont think there is anything wrong with making a wish list!!

If I went to a shower I would like to see a gift list so I could buy something mummy actually needs!!

When you make a list just make sure you include things for all budgets :D

Do you have registry's there, like for weddings? My husband and I just forced ourselves to register at Babies R Us (cheesy, I know) but it's a national chain. That way, you can make sure to put things on your gift list that you want. Now, that's not to say that someone dear and old won't "crochet up" one of those nifty little sleep sacks in all the wrong colors and yukky yarn, but I think that goes along with gift giving....sometimes people just do what they want!

If I went to a shower I would like to see a gift list so I could buy something mummy actually needs!!

Awe Maya is beautiful!!!

I would of course do that. I would make such a good list (hey I even thought of suggesting where they could find it..:blush:)...hehe..

Plus my mom mentioned she would control the list so people can call her to see what we need and therefore can find out if others have already claimed an item..or whatever.

Is it wrong Im so excited about presents?!

Before the baby comes...I have a shower...Christmas..and my birthday! :blush::blush:

Editted to add:

I have thought about doing a baby registry online..however most of the people going are well older and not very computer savvy. And I think it would confuse and frustrate them more than anything else.

Not rude at all! I am sure most people understand that you dont want to end up with something you dont need, or already have! In fact, you could probably get your friend to add into the invite that you already have many things, and maybe you could choose a store to register at, so no one has a hard time finding items on your list!

No i dont think that there is anything wrong with making a wish list. Like Younglotunmum said if i was going to go to a baby shower i would like to see mummy's wish list so i know that i would be getting her and bubs something that she needed and or wanted...

Awe Maya is beautiful!!!

I would of course do that. I would make such a good list (hey I even thought of suggesting where they could find it..:blush:)...hehe..

Plus my mom mentioned she would control the list so people can call her to see what we need and therefore can find out if others have already claimed an item..or whatever.

Is it wrong Im so excited about presents?!

Before the baby comes...I have a shower...Christmas..and my birthday! :blush::blush:

Editted to add:

I have thought about doing a baby registry online..however most of the people going are well older and not very computer savvy. And I think it would confuse and frustrate them more than anything else.

Awww thank you :D

I get mega excited about presents! This morning a present came for Maya & I was jumping all over the place lol

Can you do a registry and then whoever sets up your invites just lists where you're registered so your guests can just go to that store and get something off the registry?

Register somewhere. I mean, you are gonna get things you don't want/need. If you get somethign you really don't want, accept it with the grace I know you can, and then give it to charity if you can't exchange it. Those close to you will have the foresight to ask, and those who aren't, won't be around to see their gift in use/or not at all.
It sucks, but you can only suggest, people will buy what they want to buy. You can let people know your wishes as far as the whole eco friendly side of it. You are in the right place for it...I hope this doesn't sound rude, but its more of a white lie sort of scenario.
I'm about to go to Edmonton for a baby shower, and I'm flying, and I really don't want anything big that I can't fly back with me. Its one of those things that are paved with good intentions, but can be more work then help, you know?
hope this helps. And I hope I didn't come across as some greedy bitch...

i don't think it's rude at all, that way people know they are getting you something you need :)

I dont find anything wrong with making a list :) I think every baby should be celebrated no matter how many children you have or how much you have for them. My hubs family on the other hand argue that and find it rude that I wanted another shower for my second daughter. Barely anyone showed up :'( and well we had none for my 3rd. People think though because you had so many girls you must have alot but you dont. I had barely anything :( For them making a list was rude and greedy like but not for me and my family. I just think people who are selfish hate the whole "list" idea.

I'm having a baby shower, and me and OH have decided that on my registries I will be saying exactly what we need, and quantities, so hopefully everything we need, we get, or atleast ensure we have to buy minimal amounts of things.. instead of everyone buying 0-3month clothes which will only last so long!

it's your shower! :) and your baby! :) you get to ask for what you want!

You could always ask for gift vouchers for the store you want to buy from too hun xxx :hugs:

Do you have registry's there, like for weddings? My husband and I just forced ourselves to register at Babies R Us (cheesy, I know) but it's a national chain. That way, you can make sure to put things on your gift list that you want. Now, that's not to say that someone dear and old won't "crochet up" one of those nifty little sleep sacks in all the wrong colors and yukky yarn, but I think that goes along with gift giving....sometimes people just do what they want!

Us too! Funny thing, I told my husband this weekend that I hate that place now!!! :) It took us FOREVER to register. I don't know about Kentucky, but here they had an incompetent person working who kept helping other people while she was trying to set us up...and then had to give us a 15 minute speech on how to register. It took us 45 minutes to even get to the point where we could take the scanner and go. By the time we registered for the first few things, I was already exhausted and just felt icky. I thought to myself, surely they should know a pregnant woman has a short window of time in which she can do things like this before she gets worn out! :dohh:

But, they do have a big selection, and most people in the US are familiar with them and can order online, etc...so I guess it's the best option there is right now. ;)

I agree with LogieBear.
My OHs family all keep saying we will buy you this/that etc etc and whilst we appriciate it, we want to choose what our baby has, so we have asked for gift vouchers for babiesrus & mothercare.

It's not rude! Lots of places have registries where you can make an exact list.

I know how you feel, lol, I'm all about the Fischer Price Ocean Wonders stuff!

It's not rude! Lots of places have registries where you can make an exact list.

I know how you feel, lol, I'm all about the Fischer Price Ocean Wonders stuff!

And Im ALL about the Fisher Price Rainforest collection hehe! :blush:

No not rude. If you get doubles, shops are usually really good at letting you swap them or getting store credits to spend on other things.

Us too! Funny thing, I told my husband this weekend that I hate that place now!!! :) It took us FOREVER to register. I don't know about Kentucky, but here they had an incompetent person working who kept helping other people while she was trying to set us up...and then had to give us a 15 minute speech on how to register. It took us 45 minutes to even get to the point where we could take the scanner and go. By the time we registered for the first few things, I was already exhausted and just felt icky. I thought to myself, surely they should know a pregnant woman has a short window of time in which she can do things like this before she gets worn out! :dohh:

But, they do have a big selection, and most people in the US are familiar with them and can order online, etc...so I guess it's the best option there is right now. ;)

Ahhh yes...the incompetent clerk. We had one who took her job WAY too seriously! She was all about the speech and the "accoutrements" and the free literature and all the crappola that comes along with registering. I told her that I didn't want any junk emails or mail coming to me, after signing on--she assured me, but it's funny how many toy adverts I've been receiving since!!! After we wandered around a bit, we just felt overwhelmed, and we're both very bad at that...when it gets "too much" we quite literally will just abandon whatever we're doing and leave. We were nice enough to return the scanner :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->