Baby toiletries

DueMarch2nd

mummy to a little lamb
Reaction score
Ok I have a few questions. I am usually pretty good at knowing what to expect but when it comes to baby toiletries I am a mess!!

I know that we are only supposed to "top and tail" a baby at first till the cord comes off but then my questions start...

Can I use that Johnsons top and tail wash or do you reckon it is a waste of money?

Can I use baby lotion? My SIL says no because of allergies but she is the type that is over cautious like for example she never ate peanuts when pregnant. But babies are so dry sometimes.

Would baby oil be better?

When is it safe to start using shampoo?

When is it safe to start using baby bath?

:shrug: :help:

Me personally I started using Dove baby wash as soon as I started putting my DS in the tub when the cord stump fell off. Now you can bath them with it still on (new to me) as long as you don't fully submerge the stump (I have seen pics of friends babies fully submerged though in hospital by the nurses) .... so things changed a lot since I had my 1st lol.
I never used baby oil as it can be dangerous to bubs and their lungs. It can coat their lungs and suffocate them and I am miss paranoid LOL so I didn't have it, and will not this time either since I have an older child and what if they got into it or something. I have friends who use it though and love it... so goes to show to each their own there.

I used lotion as soon as I brought my son home. He was 5 days over due and dry. I had unscented baby lotion (aveeno) and it worked great and he didn't have any problems with it. I am sure there are babies that might be sensitive to things like that but I personally don't see a problem with baby lotion (good unscented stuff)

I don't have a clue about the "top and tail" thing, but I used the dove baby wash and Johnson baby wash and lotion etc... and no problems ever came up :)

Also with the baby oil, it's not like it happens all the time, I don't want to scare you away from it lol... I re read what I wrote and it sounded a little scary! It is a possibility and as I said before I am miss paranoid LOL

I never used anything other than water in my sons bath till he was about 2mths old & then only a tiny bit of Johnsons baby bath & the same age with shampoo. For the dry skin I was advised by my MW to use Olive Oil as it is the most natural thing to use & wont sting or anything. Worked well for me. Never used baby oil or powder on him & only recently used the baby lotion on him for his dry patches on ledg & arms etc from the weather.

hi with josh i used baby bath staright away and top and tail wash, i also used this to wash his hair, and after as he was dried out, i got johnsons badtime bream it smells really nice and he loves having it rubbed in

interesting.... each to there own it seems. ive only ever heard of use nuthin on the babyh till its like 8 weeks old or something and just to use water. i will ask my health visitor on thursday, she comes to the house with a midwife and goes through everythig like bathing breastfeeding etc etc and will pop a post up.

I never used anything other than water in my sons bath till he was about 2mths old & then only a tiny bit of Johnsons baby bath & the same age with shampoo. For the dry skin I was advised by my MW to use Olive Oil as it is the most natural thing to use & wont sting or anything. Worked well for me. Never used baby oil or powder on him & only recently used the baby lotion on him for his dry patches on ledg & arms etc from the weather.

I think this is good advice. A newborn's skin can be very sensitive and although their immune system will need to develop and you shouldn't molly coddle them too much I think for the first couple of months best to just stay as natural as possible. they don't need all that product and they don't get dirty or smell like us adults so I hope to just use water and natural oil til she's a little older. :cloud9:

I have the big box of Johnsons stuff and a load of Weleda products too for her, but I dont think I'll use anything for the first few months :) Then when shes about 3 months I'll use a wee blob of shampoo and some baby bath x

I am not going to use anything for a month or so.

On friday the girls at work gave me the biggest box ever full of every johnsons bottle/wipes/nappies/cottonwool/bibs etc - its fantastic as I had not bought anything like that!

Miwife says cotton wool, with warm water (with a little bit soap in if you must) and use plain old vaseline for really dry skin patches.:flower:

they actually recommend to use nothing other than water for the first year.

Johnsons stuff is actually quite harsh - gave ewan excema!
I use aveno generally.

i have never heard not to bath them until the cord came off but maybe its diff now coz lots of other things are lol

i just topped and tailed in the morning with water, and used a teeny amount of baby bath at night when i bathed them

with dd and ds i used a bath from day one in fact ds had his first bath in hospital, i used baby bath and baby shampoo right from day one and will be doing the same with lo, i have never had any problems with doing things this way but every baby is different, i would just do what feels right for you xx

for 3 months we used just water and cotton wool, and baths, a teeny bit of baby bath.

to moisturize, the hospital gave us a tub of coconut oil - prob the best stuff ever and a little goes a looooooong way!

once home from the hospital(we didnt get her home for 3 months) we use baby bath and detinox shampoo for cradle cap.

we bought so much butwe dont use it. i would never use baby powder

This does seem to be a real case of each to their own, I've just bought top to toe wash as this is what my friend used with her LO with no problems xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->