'Baby wearing' for a newbie

Pearls18

Reaction score
So I guess I should said hey because this isn't a section I have used before, but somewhere I will be looking at more for my next baby. The first thing I would like to ask about is wraps, I am a little worried about breastfeeding our future LO as I won't have the luxury of sitting in front of the TV for hours like I did last time with my now not so little one at toddler age! I wondered if a wrap might help with this issue? I am a little confused as to why wraps are such a big parental choice, mothers describing themselves as 'baby wearing'....could somebody explain to me why it is described as a parental choice as opposed to just another object to buy because I am literally just after a convenience but looking to do some research, I find all these labels on parenting confusing. Sorry to sound so ignorant, I would like to be educated on the matter!

Ah, there are so many benefits to babywearing! You don't necessarily have to wear your baby in a wrap, but for newborns that's usually the most comfiest because the pressure of the wrap and being curled up in the wrap is similar to how they felt in the womb. Babywearing will definitely help with breastfeeding (you can even breastfeed while they are in their wrap/sling) and it will free up your hands and time for your toddler :)

There's a lot of great information out there too on this. Dr. Sears (a well known American pediatrician) is a huge advocate for baby wearing and has a lot of great info on it.

Here's a link on just some of the benefits: https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fussy-baby/baby-wearing/benefits-babywearing

Here's his full site on babywearing: https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fussy-baby/baby-wearing/benefits-babywearing

Tutorials on how to use wraps: https://www.wrapyourbaby.com/index.htm

Basic Tips on Babywearing: https://www.marksdailyapple.com/wearing-a-baby-what-to-do-and-what-not-to-do/#axzz2L7ylXIjx

This is a link with a list of scientific studies done on the benefits of babywearing: https://www.thebabywearer.com/index.php?page=bwbenefits#Scientifically

More benefits of babywearing: https://www.atlantabirthcenter.org/2011/09/keeping-your-little-one-close-the-benefits-of-babywearing/

I don't really know how to explain why it's a parenting choice rather than just another item to buy. I feel like when I wear my son, he sees the world differently and feels differently about it than he would if he was just in a stroller. I think that when babies are just born it's extremely important for them to be close to their mothers constantly, especially if they are breastfeeding, and I think it helps that breastfeeding bond as well by allowing the baby to be with the mother constantly rather than in a stroller. I don't have anything against people who use strollers . . I use one every once in awhile too :) I just know how my son is when he's close to be in his carrier and I think the benefits of it can't be ignored.

I'd say people who describe themselves as babywearers probably do it for most or all of the time, rather than using a pushchair. Using a pushchair is the usual way to cart a baby around so that's why there is a label - because it's different. As the PP said, there are many benefits to babywearing over using a pushchair. Many babywearers do it because of that but some do it just for practicality.

There's no need to be all or nothing about it. If you want to treat it as just another thing to buy, another option for when you go out, that's fine too. That's what I do. I wore my oldest more than I wear my youngest because now I use the buggy to carry stuff around and my oldest uses the buggy board. I wear LO when we go somewhere busy or on public transport like central London, and I always have a carrier in the buggy so I can feed LO hands free when we're walking around.

It's like having a bike I suppose. Some people have a bike to use at the weekend or if their car is in the garage. Other people have a bike instead of a car, whether that's for financial, environmental or health reasons and they use it all the time. The second group are the ones who would describe themselves as cyclists but that doesn't mean the first group can't use a bike when they fancy it.

Eh, I call myself a babywearer even though I never set out to do it, but got given a very unsettled baby so you do what ya gotta do to get some peace and get stuff done! I ended up loving it and have 6 different carriers- 2 wraps, 2 slings, a Bjorn and an Ergo baby. I love the Ergo baby the best BY FAR, I found it gives the best back and shoulder support so I can wear my 8 week old for hours and be totally comfy. You can also use it until they're like 5 years old, and it does back, side and front carry just like a wrap would.

You can feed in most carriers if you are able to work out a comfy position for it. If you can latch them on in an upright or semi upright position they can feed easily, I used to do it when I was still BFing.

I DO find it can get a bit hot- we live in a hot climate and on top of that I have a hot baby, the kind that sweats a lot and is generally always feeling warm, so that's the only downside I found. The wraps made both of us BOIL over summer even if she was just in a nappy and singlet, so the Ergo is much better.

If you live in a warm climate I would recommend a carrier over a wrap just for the heat issue. Otherwise, any you think looks fun is worth a go! Bear in mind all bubs prefer different styles- my DD HATES the slings, but loves the wraps and Ergo and Bjorn because she's upright (then again she is also a silent reflux baby so that might explain that). If you can, try out some before buying: ask your friends if you can borrow a wrap/sling/formed carrier.

All in all, I don't really see it as a label either, it's really just a convenience thing for me and my baby feels safe enough to sleep for hours when I wear her, which she doesn't do anywhere else (pram, car, cot...45 mins max!). It will be super handy wearing your newborn with a toddler, the newborn will cry less, and you can work on things hands with two hands.

Good luck!!

I think there's a difference as well, if you get a typical baby carrier like a Bjorn, baby goes in like a pouch. With a wrap or mei tai or carrier used by 'baby wearers' there is very little if any fabric between you and you feel much closer to baby. Also you wear baby so they're facing in to you, rather than carrying them facing out like so many parents do with a Bjorn type carrier.

And once you've bought a wrap you may well find yourself addicted :)

Thank so much for the information, it has definitely cleared a few things up for me!! I think it is lovely concept, but for me it'll probably be a matter of convenience than lifestyle choice, but who knows, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->