Baby won't let cheek heal!

kategeminni

Mother of 1
Reaction score
My son is almost 8 months old, and he simply won't let his cheek heal! It started when he was 6 months old: he scratched up his cheek out of frustration (he was overstimulated and couldn't sleep). Then his cheek starts to heal... it oozes discharge, then scabs. But the scabs ITCH. He scratches the scabs until it oozes again. It's a very frustrating cycle. Me and the hubby tried mittens, Aquaphor, swaddles, everything! It's gotten to the point where we can't trust him at night. It's a horrifying moment, waking up to find that your precious little boy scratched himself up so badly during the night that the sheet underneath him is stained with blood. The first time he did that, I cried. Finally, my hubby had enough and sewed the sleeves of his jammies to its sides. It seemed a cruel idea at first, but it's the only thing that's helped.
Little Connor had no problem with it, but still manages to rub his cheek against everything and anything, opening up his wounds. I don't know what to do! Has anyone been through this? Is it a phase? When will he learn the meaning behind "No!"? Parts of his cheek are healing well because of the sewed-up-jammies, but they're very TINY parts, and it's a very slow, very heart-rending process. :cry:
Then there are other people. One look at my baby and they want to know 'what have you done to your baby?!'. My baby is quite clever and manages to squirm his way out of anything to scratch his cheek. He isn't allergic to anything, the scabs just itch! My hubby also wants to do studio pictures of our family, but wants to wait until his cheek heals. What to do?!
Any advice will be much appreciated!

That sounds like quite a difficult situation, and I can't think of anything sorry. Hope he heals up soon x

have you tried bandaging his face... There is kind of a clear bandage material(doctors and nurses use) that forms almost a second skin over an injured area to allow for healing. I know one brand is tegaderm. This might help facilitate healing for a few days. I'd also see the doctor about things to help soothe the itch. Good luck!

(I should also note this is NOT like a bandaid that will fall or peel off, or won't stick to the contours of the face correctly. It is completely adhesive and as mentioned, forms a second skin.)

Have you been to the doctors? Maybe they can give you some cream that will stop it itching so he wont scratch it?

My lo has eczema and for 2 months it was hell he would scratch constantly on anything he could and lived in scratch mitts until he was 5 months old! He could get out if most swaddles and even the babygrows with turn over sleeves i think even your idea of sewing the sleeves to his sides wouldnt of worked cos he would of pulled his arms out of the arm holes.

Then we saw a dermatologist and she was great she gave us some new creams and they are amazing his skin was so much better within 2 days and nearly clear of eczema after a week. He was so much happier too. Even now at 8 and a half months his skin look great and he only gets little break outs now.

I recommend seeing a doctor and they might even refer you to a dermatologist!

I hope he gets better soon xxx

My LO has the same problem but his has a cracked upper lip. I apply Lansinoh and Paw Paw ointment all the time, but whenever he puts things in his mouth or cries, he opens it up again. He's had it for well over a month now and I have no idea what to do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->