baby wraps - what should he wear?

CalendulaBaby

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post here, so I'm sorry if you get asked this a lot.
I want to buy a stretchy wrap carrier for my baby (due in 7 days!), but I thought that the baby will then be potentially covered with about 3 layers of fabric, I don't want him to overheat. So what do you dress your baby in when the weather is quite cold, but taking into consideration that the wrap provides a few extra layers?

I had a spring/summer baby so I'm not quite sure, but stretchy wraps do get pretty warm...in the summer I had him [legs tucked in] in just a vest. Now I have him in a woven wrap [not as hot as a stretchy] in vest, T-shirt, trousers/tights/leggings and jumper/hoodie. Oh and a hat. I've never needed to use a coat or snowsuit, but then my LO does seem to stay warmer than I expected babies would anyway. I think it's just trial and error really.

7 days! Not long to wait, congrats :flower:

Brrrrr, it was 1oC in London today!

I took DD out in a pramsuit in the mei tai yesterday. Again I had a summer baby, but I think if she was newborn now I would still have her at least in a coat under a wrap and definitely a lovely warm hat for this weather.

EDIT: I don't know where you are? Perhaps it's more or less cold than the UK!

Ooops missed out a vital detail...I had a MaM jacket over the top! :roll: :lol: They are very thin, just like a windproof covering really, but we were both pretty baking once we were walking! [I just had a thin top and hoodie on myself underneath]

If he's in a MT I put a coat on as well, but wraps [particularly stretchy] we'd both cook!

Hi, thank you for your replies :)
I'm in the north of England, so it is quite cold up here. It started snowing this morning, but not for long thankfully!

Discoclare, what did your little girl have on under the pram suit? Would just a vest be alright? I have a thick fleecy pramsuit - I wonder if that would be too warm :S

Hi Calendulababy I have a moby and even though I didn't have it when my baby was newborn he's 1 now so was born into the snowy weather last year (not literally!) so i know how many layers i put in the pram, lots! if ur using it from newborn I would still put vest babygrow and an all in one suit on top, just cos they can't regulate their own temp at first, ur chest will adjust to their temp also so don't worry too much. Plushaving atop to toe suit means no riding up tops or anything, makes it more comfy for baby. If u star to get hot take ur coat off and thatll help cool baby down if they're hot. I'd put a hat on too in case hood falls down. My boy sleeps in his wrap completely under the wrap! Crazy I know, so he gets really hot, when we go out now he has 2 clothes layers on while I'm in my walking coat.

I have used a kari me wrap from October when bubz was born. She wears a vest and a sleepsuit and I also use my woolly (thin) wrap cardi, wrapped around us (covered bubz twice). I always made sure her head was covered with the wrap or now as she holds her head a nice woolly hat :)

It gets about 30, 25F where I'm at, and I'll usually take LO out for walks to the duck park that's near my house. Anything below 10F degrees and I try not to take him out. By my idea, if it's too cold to snow, it's too cold for LO. ;)

For me, it's a onesie, pants, two pairs of socks on his feet, and then a hoodie jacket/sweater on him. Then I put him in my Moby wrap, and then my jacket zipped up over that. He stays nice and snug warm under just that, and I've had him fall asleep several times during our walks. Only time I might've had problems is his face getting cold, then I usually try to block the weather with the arm straps of the Moby, or with my jacket.

Also remember, best way to see LO's temp is checking his forehead, and the spot on the back of his head, right above his neck. Hands and feet can be poor indicators of actual body temperature. Though, obviously you want to keep LO's hands and feet from being cold, too. Just pay attention to signs of mottling. If the skin isn't mottled on hands/feet, then LO is fine. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->