Babys first passport and pets passport :D / Canadian Citizenship..

C

Ceejay123

Hey, I need to get my LO and my dog passports :dohh: Just been informed my family that live in the USA are now moving to Germany again rather than Canada so that they can see my LO more often!

So I need to get my LO's passport - Any ideas how long it takes to come through?

And my dogs passport. Any clues how much it'll cost, and how long I have to wait after? Apparently they used to have to have it six months, but now it's a month? Just need another opinion :)

I'm also on my way to getting Canadian citizenship as my father has it. Sent off my qualifications to have an interview. Does this mean that my LO will be entitled? And partner if we marry? :)

I was told when I asked for advice that I'd be entitled, my faimly would and my partners immediate family (I.E sons/mother). So complicated! I've not a clue.

Just did a search and came up with this.

And wow never heard of a passport for a dog.

When I still led in canada I worked with a lady from the uk whose FIL was canadian born abroad and she and her children got citizenship too, but I believe they just squeeked in under the old law.

Understanding the first generation limitation

Under the old rules, it was possible for Canadians to pass on their citizenship to endless generations born outside Canada. To protect the value of Canadian citizenship for the future, the new law limits – with a few exceptions – citizenship by descent to one generation born outside Canada.

This means that children born to Canadian parents in the first generation outside Canada will only be Canadian at birth if:

one parent was born in Canada, or one parent became a Canadian citizen by immigrating to Canada and was later granted citizenship (also called naturalization).

The rules may also affect children adopted by Canadian parents outside Canada, depending on the way in which the child obtained, or will obtain, their Canadian citizenship. Learn more about the new citizenship law and adoption.

Its confusing, I think the way they advised me was: My father sponsored me and my sister being his children. I'd sponsor my son, which would make his father eligible for citizenship if we ever decidedto immigrate.. As well as any of his other children. They could then sponsor their family if they immigrated x

Are you Canadian by birth? If not and your children were not born in Canada either they can not hold Canadian citizenship unless you move to Canada and go thru the lenghty process of visas etc.

Its confusing, I think the way they advised me was: My father sponsored me and my sister being his children. I'd sponsor my son, which would make his father eligible for citizenship if we ever decidedto immigrate.. As well as any of his other children. They could then sponsor their family if they immigrated x

That used to be the case until three years ago. Now one parent needs to be born in Canada or a naturalized Canadian citizen for someone born overseas to also become Canadian.

If you move there then you can sponser them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->