Back to boob

Dt936

Reaction score
Dd2 is now 17 days old. She was exclusively breastfed until 5 days old but our latch was awful and my nipples cracked and chunks fell off. I spoke with midwifes and nct support workers who advised to take a few days off for my boobs and pump to keep up supply.

I’ve been pumping 8-10 times a day (4-5 times on each boob) and supplies now increased but I’ve not been able to get the baby back on the boob since last Wednesday and that was with the help of the midwife. She just won’t latch on at all, not even a poor latch, she just licks the nipple and refuses to put it in her mouth.

She was diagnosed with tongue tie but the consultant has said that isn’t the case and there’s no reason for her not latching on. Is there anyway to get her back on? I really want breastfeeding to work and I’m not ready to give up just yet

Tongue tie I believe can cause latch issues. I vaguely remember my midwife saying something about DS3 having possible tongue tie when I was breastfeeding and he wasn't latching properly - turns out he was just a lazy little shit. :haha:

Have you tried to convince baby to latch before she starts showing that she's hungry?? Maybe if you feed her before she starts looking for food or sucking her fist it might help. Give her time. I'm sure she will figure out where her food is soon. <3

https://tonguetie.net/breastfeeding/

It depends on how severe baby&#8217;s tongue tie is whether she can latch properly or not. If it does interfere, they can snip it and things will be much better! For now, perhaps a nipple shield can do the trick, and once she&#8217;s back on, you could then remove the nipple shield. Best of luck!

I’ve found shields that work and she’s been feeding from me since Saturday but there’s still a bad latch and my nipples are cracking and bleeding still. She’ll feed for an hour off each boob and still scream for a bottle, she’ll then have a 4oz bottle of formula. I’m a bit at a loss of what to do. The nct worker can’t come out and I’ve been signed off from the midwife

Absolutely get the tongue tie cut. Best thing I ever did for both my girls, and for me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->