bad news at 12wk scan :(

wish2bmum

Xx angel son xX
Reaction score
Had my 12 wk scan today and expected to walk out with that lovely scan picture, all smiley and happy, but was told that the nuchal measurement was 4.4mm and given the option of having a CVS now or amniocentesis after 15wks. Really don't know what to do for the best, my husbands favouring having the needle test as he wouldn't want to keep the baby if it had a chromosome defect, I think I'm favouring towards the test to but would prefer to wait till 15wks to minimise the risk to baby a little more!!!

lost and frightend, can anyone give any advice?

(oh and am 12+1)

Hey hun,sorry ur having to go through this scare.sometimes just having a nt of 4.4 means nothing at all,did u have the blood tests with it? They will confirm if u should go for extra tests xx

Sorry to hear that Hun. Hope everything work out in the end xx

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that. I don't know what to advise I'm sorry. But it I hope everything is ok.

Oh gosh what a tough spot to be in.

Remember that the scan test has a pretty high rate of being incorrect, so it's possible your baby is just fine.

No advice on the testing - are you and your OH on the same page as far as terminating if there *is* a problem? If not, I would suggest figuring that out before proceeding - it's possible that nothing is wrong though! If you are wanting to terminate, I say go for the CVS and see what the results are - if they are still bad, then do an earlier amnio and go from there.

*hugs*

I don't have any advice, but I've been on the fence regarding CVS - this has possibly put me off the fence a bit.

Just thinking of you - let us know what you do.

Is there someone at the hospital you can speak to about the pros and cons of cvs vs amnio?

The cvs has the big advantage that you get the results earlier so if you do decide that you wish to terminate it can be done sooner rather than later.

thanks ladies. We're both pretty much of the conclusion that if baby were to have a chromosone abnormality ie downs we would want to terminate :( tough I know but that's how we both feel. I'm just so scared of having the tests and putting baby at risk when there may be nothing wrong at all!

Had all the blood test today, they just said to contact them with our decision with regards to the needle test once we've decided. I wonder if when the blood results come back this could change things?

trying to search on the net but its all a little too much to take in at minute. Thought we'de be just like everyone else and walk in and out with our perfect little baby picture and feeling excited about the future.

Hey :hugs: :hugs: it must have been an awful shock but 4.4mm is not nearly as high as a lot of people on here have had and still found in the end that the baby is fine - there are quite a few different things that can cause a high measurement other than serious chromosomal abnormalities and quite often it turns out that there's actually nothing wrong at all. It's going to be a very anxious time for you whatever you do but try to take heart that the chances are that everything will turn out to be absolutely fine :hugs: :hugs:

lottie - I see your little one has a rare chromosome abnormality, I'll deffinately be reading your pages. :)

Those blood tests could change everything Hun,doing a nt isn't always acurate but when blood tests are involved with it that helps alot.u may even still come back low risk and not need any further testing and even if u do come back high risk,anythinh under 1:151 then it's up to u if u think getting a cvs is worth getting,it chance of mc is 1:100,so u really just weigh up weather or not u want to take a chance one way or the other.I'm sorry ur having to wait for the test results and put urself under so much pressure but honestly keep hope as ur bloods may come back absolutely fine xx

did they give you an idea of when the blood tests will come back? like the other ladies said, i would wait for those and see what they indicate... it really could just be nothing. if the blood tests come back worrisome, then i would go for the CVS. since you have both decided that you will terminate if there is a problem... and the sooner the better :( as harsh as that may sound. big hugs to you hun. fx that everything is alright.

hi honey my nt scan give me 1 in 6 chance of a problem. my nuchal fold was 4.9mm iwas very shocked but im 41 so i was high risk. anyway we decided to have the cvs test which was uncomftable but bearable at st georges in tooting which is a fantastic hospital. before the test i asked what their risk rate was and it was 1 in 1000 so i was happy to proceed. i got the all clear 2 days later. it was very stressful but over in a couple of days. then had detailed scans twice and my little one is perfect!! if you look in pregnancy complications there are lots of threads from ladies going through the same thing and i found it really helped me. hope this helps in some way honey x

Hi, I'm ging through exactly the same thing x I went for my 12 wk scan last Monday & was told my NT measurement was 7.3mm & with my bloods it has put me as a risk of 1:5. I went for the CVS today which was not nearly as bad as I was expecting although I'm a bit sore now. We should know the first lot of results in 48 hours but we've been told it's not looking good. I have done loads of research over the past week and I have found many cases where the NT measurement is high & everything has turned out ok xx There is always hope :hugs:

hi,
i went for my 12 weeks scan, and i was told that the fluid was high 7.5. i went had the test done for downs and it came back 1 in 75 and the consultant said thats very good, i have to go to st georges in tooting on the 14th feb, and they said they will do the fetal heart scan, as its routine.when my results came back the consultant also said that there not puttin me in high risk as my blood and hormones are very good. as my age is 29.
im praying for you. and im hoping im ok to. we have decided to keep the babba as i have endrometrosis and its taken me 5years to get pregnant, im 13 weeks now ive had no morning sickness i felt a bit tired up to week 8.

thinking of you and would like replys x

itslovely to read yourresponces ladies, really helps. I wish you all the best too farahrita81 and nattys, I hope for us all we get the all clear and the end to this worrying is soon in sight.

mintypeas your story gives me lots of hope :) thanks for sharing and I wish you luck in the remaining of your pregnancy.

newmama I'm not sure when then blood tests will come back, I forgot to ask but will def give them a call later this week to find out, to be honest they didn't say anything about the combined results, they just advised us from the nuchal measurement! they didn't suggest waiting for blood results or anything ??

thanks again everyone, reassuring to know others are going through same and I'll take all those hugs offered too :)

I really hope the blood work comes back favorable. I agree with the ladies, don't panic just yet and do what you think is best. My 12wk scan is in 3 weeks and this is exactly what I'm afraid of. Stay strong hun. :hugs:

I am so sorry you and OH are going through this. Since you both agree on termination, I would say definately get the amnio or cvs, you will be glad you did it either way. As already mentioned, the main advantage of the cvs is you can find out sooner. Find a hospital who does them very often and has an excellent success rate- i found one nearby me that is 1 in 1000 for complications. The nt test is only a screening and doesn`t actually test anything, it just gives you a more specific ratio based on statistics. The cvs and amnio, however, actually extract the dna profile of the baby and tell you conclusively that s/he will or will not have 100`s of different abnormalities. Your baby could be perfectly normal too, and you will be able to enjoy your pregnancy more by knowing 100%. good luck to both of you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->