Bad taste in mouth- Please help!

Chasley

Reaction score
Hi there

Over the last 3 days I have had this really bad metalic tase in my mouth. I know that this normally happens in first tri but I havent had it during my pregnancy up untill now.

I am not taking any iron tablets or vitamins... and I havent had heartburn so I am at a loss as to where its coming from.

Any ideas why its happening now and does anyone else have it happening to them! Its there all the time even after I eat and brush my teeth. should I see the dr or just let it go and see if it continues?

TA XX

Are you on any medication? D'you currently have any dental problems?

No dental problems and no medication.. this is what is confusing me. The only other strange thing is I occasionaly get stars in front of my eyes. But dont know if this is related. Very confused!

Stars in front of your eyes is pretty common in this stage of pregnancy - your BP can drop (and resolve itself), your heart's having to pump much more blood than usual......it's probably unrelated to the metallic taste, but if you do speak to a doctor/MW about it it might be wise to mention it anyway :)

Any strange or bad taste in the mouth is known as parageusia/dysgeusia. IIRC, research still hasn't conclusively determined what causes the metallic taste in early pregnancy, let alone late pregnancy, so it's still considered idiopathic (no known cause).

If it's worrying you, you should definitely mention it to your healthcare provider. Difficult as it is, you shouldn't let it affect your diet though - make sure you still maintain a healthy diet even if the metallic taste is really off-putting.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->