Bank transfer question

emyandpotato

Reaction score
I'm selling my wedding dress and the woman buying it is going to collect it in person. I am assuming she will want to do a bank transfer then and there over the phone, but will this be safe? Can she then cancel it say an hour later? I'm pretty sure she'll be dubious about me asking for the money in advance but I'm also worried that she could scam me if she does a transfer in the time that she's there.

I'm pretty sure that once the money is in your account then that's it, she can't request it back.

I'm with mummylove. I would be asking for the money as cash in hand. I'm not being funny, but I'm not sure it would send it in the same night anyways. So she *could* send it through etc.. but not?

Its up to you, but with something so special, I'm not sure I would be so trusting?

I would mention the same to her. Are you going to let her try it on? I would make sure that she has absolutely no makeup on whatsoever etc.... and I would tell her the same before she arrives of your expectations? It shows at the very least you're looking after it lol!

if she did the transfer when she got the dress it probably wont go through same day. But that can depend on the time. If its late she could actually cancel it as soon as she left u as it would be in holding. I would ask for the money on pick up

I'm with mummylove. I would be asking for the money as cash in hand. I'm not being funny, but I'm not sure it would send it in the same night anyways. So she *could* send it through etc.. but not?

Its up to you, but with something so special, I'm not sure I would be so trusting?

I would mention the same to her. Are you going to let her try it on? I would make sure that she has absolutely no makeup on whatsoever etc.... and I would tell her the same before she arrives of your expectations? It shows at the very least you're looking after it lol!

She said she could pay cash but she'd rather not carry the money around; she's on holiday up here and picking it up at the same time, I assume she'd have to go to the bank before she left. She also said she doesn't want to try it on- I gave her the option- just check it, but I'll make it clear that once she takes it she can't return it.

Faster payments go through instantly online. I would call your bank in advance to double check she can't do a chargeback on it once you have received it.

Faster payments go through instantly online. I would call your bank in advance to double check she can't do a chargeback on it once you have received it.

This^^

Most banks do faster payments now which go through straight away but she will have to verify you as a new payment, my halifax account do this by calling one of your nominated phone number ie I have home and mobile set up but with my Natwest account I have to use this card reader thingy that kind of looks like a calculator and generally can never be found :haha: Most also have a disclaimer that it can take up to 2 hours to go through.

I personally would insist on cash on collection and count it out whilst she's present. I would be honest and explain your concerns to her :flower:

I'd be saying cash on collection, or no dress. Bank transfers are usually risk free, and the money present within a couple of hours but honestly if it's a few hundred quid I'd be just insisting she pay cash.

Agree with Ladyluck - I would actually be honest with her.

Although, the whole, she doesn't want to try the dress on before she buys it? Ummm......er......who actually does that? Their WEDDING dress!!!!

Agree with Ladyluck - I would actually be honest with her.

Although, the whole, she doesn't want to try the dress on before she buys it? Ummm......er......who actually does that? Their WEDDING dress!!!!

She's tried the same dress on in the same size in a shop, and my dress is unaltered.

^That makes a little more sense then! Lol. I have to agree with the ladies that it would make me feel a little uneasy. Saying that - I sold my cooker to a friend last week and he transferred the money over when he came to collect it and it was very quick. I'd double check what to expect from your bank, if they say it'll happen instantly then perhaps you could show her the dress, explain your concerns and ask if she'd mind if you checked the money had gone through ok before she left (provided you have online banking or can check over the phone)

Just so you knownthat mostbanks are on the faster payment service upto £10000, this also cannot be recalled. I know coz I have worked in 2 banks both say the same thing and was working for a bank when the system was first put in place. This should b transferred across within 2 hours but is usually instant. This can b done in branch or online.
She would need to set you up as a new payee though which would mean going into branch and following the banks protocol(bank I have worked in is chip and pin and Id depending on the amount) or logging on online and setting up a payee.. You usually need your card reader and again follow bank protocol.
if she has an app some of them have pay your contact but I don't know if there is a limit on the amount, again cannot be recalled.

Oh of course I'd check my online banking before she could leave with it! I was just worried that 1) the money wouldn't transfer immediately and it would be awkward deciding what to do and 2) that she could then cancel the transfer after leaving, but I'll ask my bank about the faster payment thingy and make sure she can't cancel it!

Just so you knownthat mostbanks are on the faster payment service upto £10000, this also cannot be recalled. I know coz I have worked in 2 banks both say the same thing and was working for a bank when the system was first put in place. This should b transferred across within 2 hours but is usually instant. This can b done in branch or online.
She would need to set you up as a new payee though which would mean going into branch and following the banks protocol(bank I have worked in is chip and pin and Id depending on the amount) or logging on online and setting up a payee.. You usually need your card reader and again follow bank protocol.
if she has an app some of them have pay your contact but I don't know if there is a limit on the amount, again cannot be recalled.

Thanks, this is really helpful! To set me up as a payee do I have to be there or just her?

I've had money transferred in instantly using the online banking/app. We didn't go into a bank just set it up on there. I think it's your account number she'll need. X

Most people doing this kind of thing are legitimate I think. Imagine stealing your wedding dress that wouldn't set married life off very well. It sounds like her worries are genuine but I would still check the money is in your bank before she leaves if that's what she wants to do

With my bank, payments made are credited within 3 hours (but in my experience straight away) and can't be reversed or changed once done.

I would request either cash on pick up or she can transfer and pick up the dress once the money has cleared in your account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->