Basic Weaning Questions? Help?

kelseyyy

Reaction score
Hello ladies, (I know this is a controversial subject sorry but need advice on my situation) well Aidan is now 4 months and 1 week, his doctor told DH and I to wean him at 4 months, where his formula constipates him very bad and we've tried EVERYTHING and the only thing that makes his bowels move is really nasty medicine...Aidan wakes up maybe 4 times a night still, takes maybe 6 ounces every 3-4 hours.
My question is, How do I start weaning?! My doctor spoke with me on the phone over this as our roads are WAY too bad from the snow and ice, she didn't really explain what to do here and I am a first time mommy :dohh:
She did say to start with rice cereal, and to give it by spoon NOT out of a bottle.
How many times a day should I sit down with LO and give him rice cereal? How much should I make? How long do I give him this before I start giving him step 1 baby food? Then how much baby food should he get??
I dreaded weaning as I live without my family now and LO DH and I are on our own miles away and I am so confused! Any advice would be needed thanks ladies

Hope I don't sound silly xx

You don't sound silly at all! :hugs:

I'm not sure my advice would be any good as I weaned Aisling at about 5 1/2 months but there is an early weaning advice and support thread, they'll have loads of advice for you. The advice does vary depending on what age they are when you wean when it comes to amounts, how often, when to move along a stage etc.

Good luck, hope it helps with the constipation :hugs:

Hey, I started weaning from just over 18 weeks. I started off introducing a little plain baby rice at lunch time half way through a milk feed (BF) I made it up using EBM just whilst I was introducing it. I started off only giving 1 or 2 spoon fulls and then finishing off her milk feed. I did this for about a week and then started to increase the amount. Once she was happy with this I moved onto giving her a few spoons of pureed carrot, for a couple of days, then pureed sweet potato, broccoli etc and increased the amounts untill she was eating 2 ice cube sized portions. After this I introduced breakfast and did so the same way.

Depending on whether or not you want to go with puree's or BLW I would suggest that you get a corresponding book as they are wonderful for explaining about portion size and nutrition as well as giving recipe idea's. I would recommend getting an Annabel Karmel book if going down the puree route. Enjoy it though it really is a fun stage of development! x

I would do as Lu says and check out the early weaning support thread. The only thing I would say is go easy on quantities, as too much solid food and not enough liquid can cause constipation too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->