Baths?

ab2401

Reaction score
So my little girl is almost 3 weeks and I have been giving her baths every 2-3 days like the hospital told me to..... but she hates them and I was wondering if maybe it was ok to just wipe her down with baby wipes instead until her cord comes off and its a little easier to give her a bath because she screams bloody murder and would be much faster and less stressful for her?

my cousin had a problem with her son that he hated when she gave him baths, but he was fine when my mum would do it. They figured out that it was coz my mum let the bub have time to settle in the bath before she started washing him, whereas my cousin just got stuck in and washed him.
Not sure if it will actually help your circumstance but it's something that I thought was interesting.

you mean like she let him play first or she undressed him, let him settle down and the gave him a bath?

Rylee still gets a sponge bath right now cause her belly button is taking for ever to fall off, I can understand why she hates it... because I hate doing it and putting her through it.

She let him settle down in the bath and play if he so desired. He now loves baths, but each baby is different

I remember my son was the same way, and I would just keep his top half clothed while I washed his bottom half with a warm soft cloth, and then dress his botttom half while I did the top... Maybe it is because they dont like to be cold. Of course this would only work with a sponge bath, lol.

my son was the same for bout 8 weeks he hated it he'd scream the house down but now he screams the house down when i take him out of the bath lol some things that may help are placing a face wassher soaked in the bath water on her belly may give her comfort try putting her head so the water covers her ears apparently mimics the whom i tried these didnt really help but its worth a try wouldnt advise sponging instead of a bath because it'll just take her longer to get used to it and start enjoyin it hope this helps.

I have to agree with you in that not bathing her will make it harder in the long term to get her used to baths. I guess all you can do is experiment with different things, maybe it's the water temperature thats the problem, or it could be the amount of water etc. Many many variables in this situation.
I do hope you find a solution to your problem though!

I only bath my lil girl every other week. In between I just give her a lil warm wipe down every 3 days. I was told that it's ok b/c we change/clean their diapers so often, there's no need to bathe them so much.

However as she gets older she'll have to get use to it so I will "gradually" start doing it more often but not right now as she's still soooo young.

Thanks everyone! I have a few new things to try. YAY I just really think the whole bath thing will be easier when I can submerge her. I know I loved baths when I was younger so maybe she will to one day.

Adam used to be the same, we have figured out that he likes the water deep and very warm.

Now he loves them

x

My trick with Simon was to use an adult washcloth to cover his chest throughout his bath. He didn't need it very long but I saw a big difference. I also dry his head and face once washed. I think many babies cry alot because they feel cold. Try to keep the room a little warmer for bath time and maybe have the water a bit warmer. I know my son too, like Layla's Adam, likes it warm. Good luck! :)

have you tried getting into the bath as well? only thing is you need the water deep and someone else on hand to lift bubs out so you can get dried too

Well Rylees only three weeks old and her umbilical cord hasn't fallen off yet and the doctors told me not to have her in water until it does, so we just sponge bath her for now.

That's strange, Kaya was given a bath in hospital while her cord was still attached, I think it helped it to fall off as it softened the skin etc.

You said you hate giving her the baths because she gets upset so she is probably picking up on your feelings.

Try to make sure the room is a bit warmer than usual, that you are relaxed and positive.
Then leave her top on while you wash the bottom half, dry her and dress the bottom half then undress her top half and wash/dry/dress again.

Make sure you have everything you need on hand before you begin so she is undressed for as little time as possible (and try having the water a tad bit warmer) if you home is on the cool side.

Spend a lot of the bathtime face to face and talk to her lots - use it as some bonding time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->