BCG immunisation advice needed

Laughing Girl

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you have thoughts on the BCG jab as far as giving it to little babies is concerned. Isla is due to have hers in the next couple of weeks and there's a niggle at the back of my mind that says that it would be better to wait til she is a wee bit older. I'd be really interested top hear any thoughts or knowledge on this as I just don't know whether to get it done now or wait.

I don't have a huge degree of knowledge about this as it's routinely offered to all babies in Ireland at birth and I just didn't think twice about it at the time. She slept through the whole thing, I think she was so young and sleepy she didn't notice it. So it certainly wasn't a problem for us having it so young but if you're looking at a delayed / selective programme of vaccinations then I guess this would be one to delay too...

Sorry I'm not much use!

We were told Edward didn't need his unless we were planning on taking him to certain countries. xx

We were told Edward didn't need his unless we were planning on taking him to certain countries. xx

Different areas have different guidelines depending on the local population. Most also take into account the chance that the child will come into contact with TB at some point e.g. we live in an area that doesn't offer it to everybody but Leyla was offered it due to the fact that the in-laws are Pakistani so she may come into contact with others who go to Pakistan.

I've been advised that Adam ought to have it, because of of where we live in London, but he's 10 months old now and I've never been. If I'd been given an appointment I am sure I'd have gone but it's a drop-in clinic, which requires organisation on my part. :dohh:

Just don't know what to do. REALLY wish I'd gone when he was tiny but I didn't get the details from the HV till after he was 4 months old. I saw the HV last week and she kept pushing for me to get it, but I don't know.

Is there any controversy about it, or am I being ridiculous not having it done?

hmmm... tbh, id say if your told your in the at risk category for it, Then id get it done. Ava had hers done when she was a few weeks because my dad works in singapore and brazil just now, and i lived at home so he was back and forth. It's not offered here at all i had to ask about it, i just asked cos i wasnt sure and because we all had it as kids. But i was told she wouldnt be offered it or need it unless i was going to certain countries or close family members were.. so yeah. my dad does. It was probably just a tiny bit worse than the other injections but she forgot about it soon after a bottle, x

I had my BCG at 3 days old :D It depends on how likely it is that you will go near anyone that could carry TB...

ETA: My family are African (and travel to and from frequently) so I'm hugely surprised that my LO hasn't been offered it...but when we next go to Africa, he'll be having it for definate.

The area we live in at the mo is very low risk.

We wernt offered it as our area isnt classed as high risk, but, i think its one of those vaccines that you should have if you are in a high risk area.

Its one of the few vaccines that i wouldnt think too much into :)

Different areas have different guidelines depending on the local population. Most also take into account the chance that the child will come into contact with TB at some point e.g. we live in an area that doesn't offer it to everybody but Leyla was offered it due to the fact that the in-laws are Pakistani so she may come into contact with others who go to Pakistan.

I do live in a low risk area but OH's family is Indian and his nan frequently goes to India but we were told unless we were taking him to India he didn't need it :shrug: Think I got duff info xx

If he will be in contact with his nan shortly after shes been in india id say you should of been offered it??

We live in a high risk area in London and Em had the BCG jab when he was a month old.
No adverse reactions whatsoever apart from the mark on his arm.
It's not a very controversial jab to get I think?!
My great uncle had TB and it's a very nasty disease. If you've been offered it's worth thinking about it.

Maley had hers and Remi will have hers also.....we live in a very multi-cultural area and when they go to school/nursery they may be at higher risk.

I wasn't sure about getting it (and I still haven't got round to booking it) but my mum works with a bigwig chest consultant who deals with a lot of TB and other lung stuff. His advice was to get it if possible, whether you think they're at risk or not. It doesn't take much to pass it on and somebody can have it for years without even knowing but still pass it on. So if LO will be in contact with anybody who has, for example, ever been to Pakistan or India, or anybody who has been in contact with anybody who has, they could potentially get it. Leyla wouldn't be in much contact with anybody who has been to Pakistan recently but her grandparents go to the mosque where there are loads of people who have so we are getting it for her. Now to get organised and actually do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->