Be honest--how bad did it hurt?

I could only describe the last part as painful it's majorly intense but I think hypnobirthing in my own way made it fine. Like others have said I just went into myself the last bit is ok as your baby us so close. Stitches and after part is worst.

Linzi I stressed about it second time and even said I was not going to push as this bit hurt last time :haha: but wasnt nearly what I remembered :)

Think Im just having a wobble I was watching some videos the other night & I was just like "how do I do this again? I dont know how to do it..." :rofl: good old hormones.

xxx

Yes it hurt, no it wasn't awful, yes I will do it again.

Honestly, I can't tell you how badly it hurt. I remember telling OH that something didn't feel right (the sac was peeping out before baby), I remember 'keening' and rocking through contractions on the couch. I know on the drive to the hospital i was grabbing OH's arm.

When her head cleared I squeaked.

When her shoulder cleared I screamed.

When her body cleared I was laughing at OH's face when he caught her.

But I can't tell you how badly it hurt. The minute I saw my babygirl, I forgot. She was all that mattered.

And I WILL do it again. :)

Mine hurt. I had multi-peaking contractions that lasted for at least 5 minutes (or forever if you asked me at the time) I do remember that between them I felt normal as could be. My labor though wasn't typical. I didn't dilate with my contractions. I remember they were very painful, I also remember feeling a pulling sensation, like my muscles were pulling upwards and apart. I labored at home for 7 hours, dilated to 2cm, then my MW transferred us to the hospital. I had an epi, and pit, and after 6 hours or so, still didn't dilate but 1 1/2 cm. At this point with the drugs, my son started to show signs of distress, and since I wasn't dilating, the doctor decided to do a c-section.

It definitely wasn't pain - just a really intense feeling. I used Natal Hypnotherapy. I didn't labour quietly like some of the videos I saw - I was moo'ing like a cow! But that was just a way of letting out some of the intense energy I was feeling. I got through it fine without pain relief, but needed an epidural after as I had to have surgery for 3rd degree tears. The surgery and recovery was the only horrid bit. I didn't like the feeling of the epidural - it made me feel like my body didn't belong to me and I felt kind of violated.

Oh, it was painful. I screamed and bit my midwife. But I never took any drugs at all. I just turned into a complete animal from 8 cm to he came out haha. It was awesome!!!

Oh, it was painful. I screamed and bit my midwife. But I never took any drugs at all. I just turned into a complete animal from 8 cm to he came out haha. It was awesome!!!

Haha, have you got the same midwife again, or some poor new woman who doesn't know to keep her distance at that point? hehe, sorry, just a stupid thought...:wacko:

It definitely hurt, but was doable. The pushing felt absolutely wonderful...huge relief from the how intense contractions were. I never screamed or really even made any noise (except moaning on breathing out) and my last contraction lasted for an hour (at least it felt that way).
I will definitely do it again.

I wont lie, it hurt but the pain was enjoyable for me as it was getting me closer to having my boy. I had G&A then nothing as I just didnt need it. For me it was all in the mind and I got myself into a good relaxed place and it was great. xx

It did hurt, Im not sure what I was expecting.
Pushing didn't hurt for me, it was easier to push than to just ride out the contraction!

Haha, have you got the same midwife again, or some poor new woman who doesn't know to keep her distance at that point? hehe, sorry, just a stupid thought...:wacko:
I lied, she stopped me before I could actually do the deed. But the intention was fully there! :haha: And yes, I do.

It was no-where near as painful as I thought it would be, I actually got to 5cms not believing I was in labour until I was examined at home and packed off to hospital, because I didn't think I was in enough pain/was coping too well! Once I was at hospital it was at least half an hour before it occurred to me I could have any form of pain relief, and had G&A, but after that it never crossed my mind to request anything else.

The water was amazingly relaxing as well and really took the edge of once I was in the pool. They had a hard time getting me out again. :haha:

Also, at no point did I get the feeling that I just wanted to curl up and die that many women told me about when I was pregnant.

I experienced more pain weeing for a couple of weeks afterwards (after 2nd degree tear) than the labour itself!!

Seriously, I truly believe in mind over matter (although I didn't put it into practice when on the loo!!!). If you go into it feeling scared and anxious, then your body will be tense and your labour may be slower and more painful. xxx

Very painful yes but for me it was like I was possessed in a good way, it consumes you so wasn't like a ow that hurts pain. I expected to feel like I was going to die but it wasn't that bad at all.

It was no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be. I absolutely LOVE my L&D story. You just have to remember to stay calm and breathe. I found that breathing really loudly worked best for me. Loud, rhythmic breathing. Also, sitting on the edge of the bed, kicking my feet back and forth was great... I also stood, leaned on my DH and swayed back and forth. You'll find what works for you. Labor is highly physical, but not necessarily painful, iykwim. Birth is SO beautiful. If I could do it again tomorrow, I honestly would. You'll be fine, sweetie. :flow:

Not that bad, really. Not as bad as the worst hangover I'd ever had for feeling sick and pain wise nowhere near as bad as a dental extraction

Up until transition it was like having very very bad period cramps. Transition for me was very very painful but I did a lot of talking to myself, telling myself that all my ancestors had done this for me to be here and kept reminding myself of the pain/fear viscious cycle. It was very very intense, but I am soooo pround of myself and yes, I had such a feeling of self empowerment it was so amazing. I still feel every so proud today :)

It's a very intense pressure and I cried when Madison crowned because that did hurt a little.

I felt proud though that I went thru natural childbirth without an epi :)

I didn't find it massively painful. I was induced and on the brink of pre-eclampsia, but managed fine with my tens and g&a until 10cm.

I was in a happy place.. And in my own world. I found walking around, and standing up helped loads. But the PMA really helped. Although I was induced I felt I could do it.. They only time I cried was when they ramped up the drip and I had constant contractions!

Saying this the actual birth didn't hurt one bit as I ended up in a section!

Painfree VBAC here I come!!!!!!!

You read all kinds of stories online about how deathly painful it was or how some people had such a high pain tolerance that it wasn't a big deal.

I would love to have a natural birth. Hopefully a water birth. I'm more afraid of having an epidural I think--those have scared me my entire life.

So for us first timers who want a natural birth-can you please tell me how painful it was? Can you describe it?

When the waters were finally gone (slow trickle, not a gush), it got more painful. Logical really, I suppose: no "cushion" between the head and cervix. So that low down, "crampy" feeling got much stronger, immediately. More pressure on the cervix means more labour hormones released, means stronger ctx. So that also caused more pain. It was at this point that I felt I really needed to get in the pool. It was HUGELY helpful. I loved it. The relief was not 100%, but not far off. It eased the sting of crowning too. I did lift up out of the water so a midwife could observe the progress now and again. The sensation was stronger when I was not in water, but I was still comfortable.

So, my waters being there seemed to help. The birth pool really helped. Water really is your friend. Drink plenty. A dehydrated uterus won't contract as effectively and will likely be more uncomfortable.

Another thing that helped was (cliche alert!) BREATHING! Focusing on deep, slow breaths.

Have a look at my birth story (link in my siggy) - I describe just how painful/comfortable it was at each point and what I did to cope and minimise that pain. That right there is key - knowing that pain is not inevitable, you can do something about it, even without having drugs. I did have some (gas and air for the last hour) but it was more because I was in that "I can't do this!" place, not because it was hurting more.

I agree, not pain, its like there isn't a word for it, hard work yes pressure yes, hypnobirthing was great for me my first baba 9lbs no stitches and i loved pushing too, its like FINALLY i can DO something instead of just sitting here having contractions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->