Bedwetting-help!

amandaksj

Reaction score
Hi to all, I have a 5 year old who although dry in the day from 3 years, has just started not using bedtime pants, goes 3 or 4 days not wetting then the past 2 nights wetting. To his credit we have only been doing this for 2 weeks so early days, I get him up for a wee when I go to bed and again in the night but he never wakes himself up to ask to go. I am 6 months pregnant and wanted to get this sorted by the time the baby comes any advice??

Back to School today, wonder if thats the reason for bedwetting the past 2 nights, apprehension about going back.

Many thanks:flower:

Hiya hun, There could be many reasons from changes in routine to yes the apprehension of going to school, It could even be the fact you are pregnant.

Does he have a proper bedtime routine, This would be important also hun.

If you are taking him for a wee when you go to bed & he is still bedwetting i'd defo cut out drinks straight away from 6pm to reduce the amount in his bladder later on.

Maybe have a talk to him & see if he offers any kind of info which could be upsetting him or worrying him, prob is the school thing but the talk might just reassure him too.

Try the reward chart thing so when he is dry he gets a reward.

My son has been dry during day & night since he just turned 3, I've never heard of bed pants what are they?
He has the odd accident when usually i've not reminded him to go for a wee before bed, or when he's had a late drink, But he also wakes during night if he needs to wee which he never does anyway. If ever he wee's its usually 1st thing in the morning if he seems to be having a lie in. Some children have a repeated episode of bedwetting hun so long as you dont tell him off for it or make him feel bad you should be able to over come it .xx

I have a boy who is 6 1/2 years old now and has had an issue with bedwetting since he was 3. I have done all the tricks they recommend including stopping drinks at 6pm, waking him up at night myself to go for a pee, and he's always had a stable bedtime routine. I know that the bedwetting started occurring when we moved from the states to Ireland, so I realize it -may- have been related to adapting to the move and all. But in our overall lives, we talk about things and have a very positive and loving home environment, and 3 1/2 years after our move, he still pees at night. I've never punished him for it as I don't believe in that approach, and instead am very encouraging during the times when he doesn't.

I've looked up a lot of information about this and there are a lot of schools of thought about the reasons why it happens. I think a mother knows her own child best, and I truly believe, after all the research and trying different things, that he just simply isn't waking up enough at night to get to the toilet. I did read somewhere during my research that this can be one of the causes, and they laid out the reasons why regarding what's happening in the brain during sleep. But it also said that they do eventually grow out of this.

Night pants are a fancy word for diapers designed for older children (like mine) that helps keep the bedding dry.

I did go through over a year of not having him wear night pants also, thinking that might help matters, but all it did was create a ton of washing for me and it didn't stop the problem.

I don't think waking him up for a pee is useful, either, because sometimes he's just pee again before morning anyhow, and he was still mostly asleep when I took him to the toilet anyway, so it really wasn't teaching him anything.

I'm truly not worried about it. I know he will grow out of it and is already showing the beginnings of not peeing as much during the nighttime, whereas before it was every night. I'm not convinced there's much a parent can do to force a change on a child who wets the bed. The reward system didn't work for my son, either. He really really wanted to wake up and go in the toilet but he just doesn't. I've come to accept it and it's no big deal.

Hi There,
Its a really hard one isn't it, you sound like you have done all you can, they do bedtime pants for 8-12 year olds here so it must be quite a common thing, I think my Nephew was about 7 years when he cracked it.

My Little Lad has been dry in the night for 2 weeks now, I get him up at about10pm when I am going to bed and then from there he would normally ask or hold it until we get up.

It was something we all wanted to do before the new baby arrives 6th Dec.

My advice is not to worry or stress about it, he will do it in his own time. :flower:

how is he during the day?? can he hold it for a while
also found this dont know if its any help

Facts about Children and Bedwetting
Fact: About 15% of children consistently wet the bed after the age of three.

Three sounds like the magic number, especially if your child is completely potty-trained during the day. All children develop at different rates, though, and it's not unusual for a child to still occasionally wet the bed as late as age seven or eight. About 15% of six year olds wet the bed. About 5% of ten year olds still wet the bed.

Fact: Bedwetting tends to run in families.

Chances are that if you or your spouse was a bedwetter, at least one of your children will be later to develop night-time bladder control. In addition, if your child is an especially sound sleeper, they may have trouble waking to their body's signals.

Fact: Bedwetting is more common in boys than in girls.

No one is quite sure why, though we do know that girls often reach physical milestones sooner than boys.

Fact: Even without treatment, even the most persistent bedwetting stops at puberty.

It's very rare that a child continues to wet the bed past puberty, even with no special treatment or precautions.

Fact: Most bedwetters do NOT have emotional problems.

Or at least... bedwetting is not often caused by emotional problems. Making your child ashamed of his inability to stay dry at night could cause problems, though.

When SHOULD you worry about bedwetting?
If your child has been dry at night for some time - several months or longer - and begins wetting the bed regularly again, look for anything upsetting his routine. A move to a new home, a change of teacher at school, or something that has upset him may be triggering the bedwetting problems. Don't, however, rule out the possibility of a physical cause. If your child suddenly starts wetting the bed again, your first step should be to check for a urinary tract infection - especially in a girl.

If the return to bedwetting is accompanied by a fever, complaints of belly pain or a change in toileting habits during the day, it's a clear signal to call your doctor. Chances are very good that the cause is a urinary tract infection that can be taken care of with a course of antibiotics.

If your child is especially bothered by his bedwetting, offer him all the emotional support that you can to prevent it from becoming an emotional problem.

Tips for Helping a Child Stay Dry At Night
1. Don't make a big deal about bedwetting. Change the sheets without comment, reassure your child that everyone outgrows it eventually, and tuck him back into bed.

2. Do limit drinks after dinner. There's no need to make a big fuss about it. Just limit drinks in the two hours or so before bedtime.

3. Make sure that your child goes potty before bed. It's an easy thing to forget in the rush of getting everyone tucked in, but simply making a trip to the bathroom part of the bedtime routine may be enough to eliminate bedwetting.

4. Wake your child to use the bathroom at YOUR bedtime. Most children won't even totally wake up if you do, but by interrupting sleep to make a trip to the bathroom you can help establish a pattern of waking to use the toilet.

5. Make life easy on yourself. While putting your child in diapers for bed is ignominious, these days there's a wide range of 'nighttime undies' that are far less embarrassing to wear. You'll resent the whole process a lot less if you don't have to wash bedding every single day.

6. It should go without saying but - don't tease or make fun of the child to shame them out of it. By the same token, don't allow your other children to make fun of him for his physical inability to control his bladder at night.

7. Most importantly, don't stress over it. The more importance YOU place on your child's bedwetting, the more likely it is that it will become a source of emotional turmoil for your child.

Hun, my 5 year old duaghter went through a spate of wetting the bed everynight for about 3 weeks on the run whilst I was pregnant. I think it was a little way of getting my attention as we had been for a 4d scan and all the chat was about the baby.........
She will still wet now (6 tomorrow) but only if she has too much liquid after a certain time.
It should pass x

Thanks jacqui, we had a family party and after a few weeks of dryness had a wet night I am sure it's because he drank too much liquid after 6pm, but he felt awful after doing so well. But since then we have had 2 dry nights so hope it was just a blip, as you say when they are abit unsettled or had lots of liquid late it's bound to cause these little hiccups.:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->