Been asked by DR to cut down on my diet

Evana

Reaction score
Hi just came back from my dr appointment and was told to cut down on my diet as baby is measuring big she is weighing 3.5 pounds (Dr also said baby head is measuring big) hmmmm i am finding her request weird as i thought i am suppose to be eating now more in my last 2 months:shrug:

i am 29 weeks 4 days dr said i am measuring 30 weeks 5 days (i dont think thats too big )...then went on to ask me if i am eating a lot ...
i got worried and asked if everything is okay with bubs..... she said baby is fine i just want you to have a normal delivery .

i started pregnancy below weight @ 52 kg and with a low bmi and have been making sure i put on weight and eating right for babies health today i weighed in at 69.7 kgs (and i am fine with my weight) ....i am putting on approx 2.5 kgs per month (i believe thats normal too )

did anyone elses dr asked them to cut down on their diet coz baby is measuring a week ahead....i am confused ? i really believe i am fine where i am at ...should i get a second opinion ?

That's weird she'd say that as there can be variations around 2 cm and that's considered normal. For me at 28 weeks I was measuring 30cm (doc didn't say anything about it), at 30 weeks I was measuring at 31cm, at 32 weeks I was right on at 32, and at 34 weeks I'm 33cm. It's normal to have growth spurts, too.

That doesn't seem that big to me, or obsessive...maybe the doc is worried because you're so small and the baby is so big? But cutting back on your diet when you're already eating healthy seems wrong? I mean if the baby is too big to come out normally then they'll just do a section, but a lot of small women can delivery big babies

I gained 50lbs with my DD, and my doc never said anything to me about cutting back my diet or anything. Just be careful if you do cut back, not to cut too much and still get all the nutrients you need. Babies will ultimately grow how they grow, and nothing you can do will change that. Baby gets what it needs before you do, so cutting back will just deprive you not baby.

Did you have an ultrasound or is this all based on fundal height?

Hey

I'm measuring two weeks bigger than EDD. Dr said up to 3 weeks bigger is acceptable in the UK. They didn't say to cut down diet, but to cut down on sugar as in the 3rd tri, baby is putting on weight and just sucks on sugar as weight making them bigger. I have found sugar in the strangest places, the other day I went for yogurt - nice low fat fruit one''s, and found they all had about 15g of sugar, but if I picked a particular pack of crisps, it only had .08g of sugar... so I got crisps instead.... very bizarre. Also a lot of natural sugar is in fruit, so substituting bananas for berries (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries etc...) makes a huge difference, also watching the fresh fruit juice too as it's packed with sugar, water is better with berries to eat get the vitamins.

That's weired...I'm measuring way ahead n even before my ultrasound she didn't say anything about cutting back

You should only be eating 400 calories more per day (so 2400 in total). But it is weird that your dr said that. I have put on 16kg & baby is measuring at just under 3kg & the dr has never said anything to me about needing to cut back (& I started with a bmi of 28, so not that good!).

Mine has told me to gain more weight and at times they have measured 2 weeks ahead. I wouldn't restrict your diet as baby could just be genetically prone to be big. If she fears GD or something then she should test for that, just cutting back wouldn't help with that anyway.

Hey

I'm measuring two weeks bigger than EDD. Dr said up to 3 weeks bigger is acceptable in the UK. They didn't say to cut down diet, but to cut down on sugar as in the 3rd tri, baby is putting on weight and just sucks on sugar as weight making them bigger. I have found sugar in the strangest places, the other day I went for yogurt - nice low fat fruit one''s, and found they all had about 15g of sugar, but if I picked a particular pack of crisps, it only had .08g of sugar... so I got crisps instead.... very bizarre. Also a lot of natural sugar is in fruit, so substituting bananas for berries (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries etc...) makes a huge difference, also watching the fresh fruit juice too as it's packed with sugar, water is better with berries to eat get the vitamins.

hi Thanks ....this def makes more sense ....if she put it this way ....maybe she meant for me to cut back on sugars just did not put it that way

she just said ''baby is big are u eating a lot ,u have to cut back on your diet'' and i was confused at what she was asking coz i dont think i over eat at all and i def know from WTEWYE that pregnancy is not the time to cut back... if i knew about the sugars i would have specifically asked her if she meant just sugar...i will give her a call tomorrow and ask her if she meant this...

Mine has told me to gain more weight and at times they have measured 2 weeks ahead. I wouldn't restrict your diet as baby could just be genetically prone to be big. If she fears GD or something then she should test for that, just cutting back wouldn't help with that anyway.

4 weeks ago she tested me for GD my results were all good ...

Thank you for all your replies ...i will not be cutting back on my diet as it def does not make sense to me ...i am happy baby is big if it comes down to it i will just go for a c ...

I know eating lots of sugar can put on weight on baby but I have eaten lots and baby is on taget for been a 7lb weight when born. I was 53kg pre pregnancy and at 35 weeks im 68kgs. At one point I wasnt putting on weight for a while and for the past month I have put on almost a kg a week but my specalist isnt worried due to my ibm before pregnancy, they should also know that babys weight isnt always due to what you eat but can be due to what size you or oh were at birth.

Hi just came back from my dr appointment and was told to cut down on my diet as baby is measuring big she is weighing 3.5 pounds (Dr also said baby head is measuring big) hmmmm i am finding her request weird as i thought i am suppose to be eating now more in my last 2 months:shrug:

i am 29 weeks 4 days dr said i am measuring 30 weeks 5 days (i dont think thats too big )...then went on to ask me if i am eating a lot ...
i got worried and asked if everything is okay with bubs..... she said baby is fine i just want you to have a normal delivery .

i started pregnancy below weight @ 52 kg and with a low bmi and have been making sure i put on weight and eating right for babies health today i weighed in at 69.7 kgs (and i am fine with my weight) ....i am putting on approx 2.5 kgs per month (i believe thats normal too )

did anyone elses dr asked them to cut down on their diet coz baby is measuring a week ahead....i am confused ? i really believe i am fine where i am at ...should i get a second opinion ?

No never been asked to reduce my diet because my baby was measuring bigger I had sugar in my urine on my first so was checked for gd and I had that and have had it on all my babies, that made them bigger well big for me!!!

some times babies are bigger does not mean your eating to much or have GD sounds like your bang on target for weight gain!! scans can be out a little at times and may be baby had a growth spurt and will be on target at next scan :hugs:

Is this your first baby?
I ask because my first was really big and OB told me to watch what i was eating as well, but for this pregnancy since there is already a history of a big baby and all of my test results were normal he said don't worry about weight gain/diet. As long as you and baby are healthy then it shouldn't matter!!

Is this your first baby?
I ask because my first was really big and OB told me to watch what i was eating as well, but for this pregnancy since there is already a history of a big baby and all of my test results were normal he said don't worry about weight gain/diet. As long as you and baby are healthy then it shouldn't matter!!

yup my first baby....i just found her suggestion a bit weird as i dont think baby is that big at only one week ahead ....i called her this morn and she said she just wants me to have a smooth delivery and to not eat too much at one time to eat small and frequently (which i was doing anyway ) she then elaborated that to not follow with desert after meal to wait an hour or 2 etc...etc..

all my test result are normal too and i feel great and baby is healthy (I am happy)... i am not cutting back on diet i was already doing what she asked this morn ...i will carry on with it ...

Im measuring jsut over a week ahead and not been asked to cut down even though I myself am overweight. I've only put on a stone this whole pregnancy and I have excess fluid and a MASSIVE bump. I'm not craving or eating sugary foods so they would be hard pushed to get me to cut down. haha. OH is convinced this baby is going to come out Vegan because of the amount of veg I have eaten.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Firstly ultrasounds can be off a pound in either direction when estimating weight. Fundal height is only a rough basis of how baby is growing. The point of measuring is to ensure there's always growth. Many ppl measure a head. And I don't think personal food consumption is the only thing that affects baby's weight. Many ppl gained minimal amounts and have big babies, some gain a ton and have small babies.

I ate a ton with my first. Gained 60 pounds. Measured ahead 2-3 weeks constantly. Ultrasound estimated her to be around 9 pounds. I was 12 days over due. She came out a whopping 7lbs.

I'd just continue what you're doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->