Before I go storming off to my midwife and make an idiot of myself . . .

NOMORENUMBERS

Reaction score
Hello!

To cut a long story short I am being tested for Gestational Diabetes next week and am starting to get annoyed . . .

everyone who has posted a thread on the testing of it has been told by loads and loads of women that their test was either 1 hour or 3 hour using a sugar drink . . .i am sure you all know the one

Anyway, i am doing a test which involves me eating a specific breakfast and then going to my gp two hours later for a blood test . . . my worry is no one i have come into contact with other than my consultant has ever heard of this!

My question is there anyone out there who has been tested for GD with this method?

I have researched loads into it and found on nice guildlines 3 different types of test that can be used and none are like the one i am doing . . .

I know its yet another GD thread i am more than happy just getting nope not me answers!

Just need to double check i am not totally insane to be worried that i am wasting my time and not being diagnosed properly before i call my midwife to ask her what is going on . . .

Thanks ladies xkx

Never heard of that one sorry... What's this special breakfast???

I had to fast for 12 hours before my first bloods on both of mine :shrug:

Sorry I'm not much help xx

Why are they testing you? From around 20 weeks i always throw out Glucose in my wee. Midwife knows this is just me and my daft body but she always likes to be on safe side. So at m/w appt she takes some blood (no special breakfast or anything!) This always comes back borderline, so off she sends me for a GTT. They take blood, then give u a horrible sugary drink, take another blood test and sometimes even another blood test after that.
So not really sure about yours really :wacko: Sorry x

ive never heard of this one before,

with my first one i had to fast for 12 hours, get blood taken, have a very sweet sickly drink and then have my bloods taken a hour after i took it

I've never heard of that :s like the other ladies, I had to fast for 12 hours,have bloods taken - drink a glucose drink - sit for 2 hours then have another set of bloods taken!! Deffo go speak to your mw to clear it up x

see! no one has heard of it! i would rather call her up tomorrow and have a little bit of a go and get myself booked in for the correct thing next week!

i am being tested because they completely dropped the ball on me last time, i kept saying i want to be tested for gd last time as my sugar levels were consistently high but not high enough and they refused, baby came out 11lb 6 onz with a whole host of problems - you can see why based on them fluffing everything up last time i would not be surprised if i am booked in for the wrong test

even the receptionist hadnt heard of this test and she is the one who is supposed to book everyone in for them!

consultant gave me a piece of paper with a list of carby foods and sugary foods on it with a guidence of how much and how many types of food to eat for breakfast. it sounds like a legit test as it is all carbs and sugar but. . . . .dont trust that this is the right method for pregnancy . . this was the same consultant who wrote very keen to vbac on my notes when i told him that i strictly wasnt!

Never heard of this but tbh it makes more sense than loading you with near glucose as your body needs protein to burn the glucose. Many people fail normal gtts who have no troubles with there blood glucose provided they eat sensible meals.

Bravo to your consultant! At least you will get a clear result unlike me who was branded gd despite having no troubles at all!

see thats why i didnt question it at first because it is what a person may naturally have for a meal but i am terrified that they are going to do what they did to me last time

Well if you eat a high sugar/carb meal above and beyond your norm and you are ok then in truth if you stay below those levels you will be fine.

If you are going to fail then you will fail both tests. If you are worried then buy a blood glucose machine and keep track yourself. You don't need extreme tests if you don't eat extreme levels of glucose.

i was thinking of that but my hormonal stubborn self said why should i have to lol lol lol, might be a good idea to get one anyway just i have no trust in my hospital or gp surgery whatsoever so might be good for peace of mind . . . i think i will double check with midwife just to make sure but perhaps keep the tone to a heeeeeeeeeeeeeellllloooo was just woooonnnderiiiiiiiiiing as opposed to oi! you! whats going on lol

thank you so much for your answers ladies!

anyone who reads this who has had that test please still say yes me! lol xkx

It's called a Reactive Hypoglycemia Test, and is one of the methods used to test for gestational diabetes. Apparently it is just as accurate as the sugar drink testing method, but is much more pleasant. The usual make up of the meal is 84g carbohydrates, 22.6g protein, 9.4g fat, 690 calories.

Hope that helps x

tjw i could absolutely kiss you!!! if i could do the thank button a thousand times i would!

phew, although must say am shocked that my hospital seems to be doing the right thing for once!

thank you so much for that! wow 690 calories for breakfast!

Aha! I had this type of test a few weeks ago! My first two babies, I could have sworn I had to fast for my GD screen with them!

I just ate a normal breakfast. My Obgyn told me not to overload on carbs, but have a healthy, balanced breakfast. She also advised me to avoid bananas and oranges, but eat any kind of berries. I went in, drank this overly rich, flat orange "beverage", sat for an hour, then got poked.

My results came back perfectly! Good luck! 8)

thank you so much feeling so much better about it already! wohoo things are going right for a change!

think you def need to call, its supposed to be fasting for sure then the time between bloods vary. mine was 2 hrs. breakfast sounds ODD!!! mine said 1 tea w out milk is ok but nothing else.

Sorry hun I've not a clue. I fasted from 10pm, first blood test at 8:30am, glucose drink and blood test again 2 hours later :wacko:

I had this you're of test. Had to eat jam on toast and cereal then exactly 2 hours later have the test. It all came back fine x

I have got to go for this test too. Should have had it done at 20 weeks but forgot. Then again at 26 weeks. Doctor told me to eat some cereal and a slice of toast then get my bloods taken approx 2 hours later. I had the sugary drink in my last pregnancy so did wonder why it was a different one this time. I just put it down to being at a different hospital with this baby. :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->