Before, instead of, or after?

kate.m.

Mummy to Travis
Reaction score
Right ladies, im after advice here! I know what id rather do, but im curious as to what other people would do in the same situation...

Me and hubby had planned on ttc in "about a year" which would mean Jan 2010. But recently, we've started planning a big holiday to florida with a big group of friends. This holiday would be in August 2010 to coincide with school holls, as i am a teacher.

Now, i did the figures the other day, n if we started to ttc in jan 10- it is likely that i would be pregnant when we go. I could either be heavily pregnant, or only just pregnant, depending on how long it takes! However, if we wait untill after august 2010, that adds another 8 months onto our ttc date! which means we might not have kids for another 3 years!!!

But we could start trying now, and take the baby on holiday with us?

So my question is: would you wait to ttc after the hol in august 10, ttc straight away, or ttc when origionally planned, but maybe have to cancel the holiday?

I would TTC whenever it feels good, and if it coincides with the holiday, and should the worst moment of pregnancy coincide with the holiday you could always not go or go another time. (TTC 1 holiday 0)

I know, you are talking to one obsessed WTT woman here, who is obviously going to :gun: anything that comes between TTC and you

I know how you feel, we want to do some travelling and things, but also want a baby in the next couple of years. I'd try now and if you're not pregnant by a certain point wait till after (or during) your holiday, depends on how you feel about taking a baby to Florida. It'll be hot then, lots of naps and nappy changes in theme parks!

I would also add that it depends on how much you can afford to wait. Obviously the younger you are, the more time you have and it wouldn't be important to put off TTC because you have other priorities if you have bags of time to TTC

I am in the same situation as you and have had to put back my ttc date because of a wedding in Aug 2010. At first we had decided to TTC december this year but we calculated and I'd be almost 8 months pregnant by that time, which is not a good idea as I have to fly for almost 14 hours. So we decided that we'd put the date for march 2010 that way if I got pregnant that same month I'd be just 5 months pregnant and technically in the best trimester to do things... And if I don't get pregnant imediatly things only get better. Of course it depends on what you plan on doing in Florida. I'm going to Canada for a wedding which means I will be sight seeing most of the time and can ajust our schedule to my state but if you plan on going to theme parks for instant, maybe it's not such a good idea to be pregnant at the time... It all depends on how much you are willing to wait and how much you are looking forward to that holiday... I can't miss Aug. 2010.

It's a tricky one that only you and your OH can know the answer too. You need to weigh everything up - What do you both want to do? What's more important to both of you? Would taking a baby with you on hol matter in any way? Would waiting a few extra months really matter? and anything else that may be on yours or OH's mind.

Me and OH had the same quandary last year when he suddenly popped the Q and we decided to marry this summer. (We'd originally planned to start TTC around Aug/Sept last year and leave getting married for sometime in the future) We decided in the end that if I suffered sickness (my SIL had hyperemisis which scared us) on the wedding it would upset the day / I wouldn't be able to fly etc so we made the decision to put the TTC-ing back by 9 months.

I'd continue as planned. Maybe wait only a month or two so I wasn't SOO pregnant at the time, but pretty much just carry on. Have a good vacation :p

Remember as well, there's no guarantee that you'd be 5 weeks pregnant or 7 months!

When I was TTC my DS we had a cycling holiday booked in Spain! which was in the September 05, we planned to stop birth control after the hols and TTC Oct 05! By April 05 I was going out of my mind being impatient - so DH announced he was cancelling the holiday (lost the deposit) and I should stop my pill then and there! I was preg 3 cycles later!

TTC would win any day over a holiday for me- but that's my opinion! lol

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Remember as well, there's no guarantee that you'd be 5 weeks pregnant or 7 months!

exactly! Im usually such a planner- but i know that i cant plan this as precisely as id want to! :dohh:

I think id like to ttc straight away- and i would feel fine about taking a tiny baby on holiday with me. Maybe ttc for a number of cycles but avoid the months that would have me in my 3rd trimester in august. That way id either have a tiny baby to take with me, or would still be ttc whilst on hol. Maybe avoid the dates that would see me pregnant in august altogether: dont fancy paying £400 for theme park tickets n then not being able to go on any rides! (If we do have a baby by that point- hubby will be looking after it whilst im on the rides- he's such a wuss he wont be going on em any way!! :rofl:)

We've only briefly talked about it together- will have to have a proper chat later, but i get the impression that he wants to just ttc in Jan and see where we end up! Would be a big deposit to loose tho if we have to cancel the holl.

I would also add that it depends on how much you can afford to wait. Obviously the younger you are, the more time you have and it wouldn't be important to put off TTC because you have other priorities if you have bags of time to TTC

Im 25 n a half! Hubby is 26 n a half (that half makes all the difference! :rofl:)

Not too young, but not old! I always wanted to have kids at about 26, and everything else has just fallen into place nicely, so im getting impatient for the next step now!

You have got to remember if you get pregnant that they wont let you fly once you are so many weeks and if you start trying now would you realy want to have to spend 14 off hrs on a plane with a baby. Me personaly i would wait till just before your holiday to come of the bc pills.

hi Kate

I would say its your decison and every woman is deffrent, some concive quickly and sometimes it takes longer.

I am currently TTC and im quite suprised at how long its taking for me, its only been 4 months but both me and my partner are healthy, fit and young.

it's a big decison to make but im sure you'll do the right thing.

all the best xx:hug:

You have got to remember if you get pregnant that they wont let you fly once you are so many weeks and if you start trying now would you realy want to have to spend 14 off hrs on a plane with a baby. Me personaly i would wait till just before your holiday to come of the bc pills.

yeah, i think i might be leaning towards that idea myself- but i change my mind so much! In 5 minutes, i might be deciding another option! lol!

That's a tough call for sure. I'm not sure what I would do. Can you buy cancellation insurance for the trip? I always do that just in case. Then if you were to fall pregnant you could reschedule. I am a rides person as well so I would definitely want to do the rides. Gah...I am at a loss...not sure what I would do. Good luck!

yeah, i think i might be leaning towards that idea myself- but i change my mind so much! In 5 minutes, i might be deciding another option! lol!

You could think of it as one last big holiday before you have kids.

We're in a pretty similar situation. Hubby wants to go to Australia so we've worked out the dates to start TTC so that I, if we were successful in the very first month, would be in the early stages of pregnancy when we went. (He's been saying about going to Australia for years so couldn't possibly put off TTC for any longer but this is the year that we need to go).

I think if you wanna go for it, do it, just make sure you'll be safe and confortable on your hols. I don't think we should be so drastic as to have to drop one plan or another.

If it was me i would just hold off ttc so that you start just before you go on holiday. It could even be a lucky charm and you may conceive while on holiday, i know quite a few people who fell pregnant on holiday, must be the sea air!!! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->