Belly piercing

Amanda

Mum of 3
Reaction score
When Kayleigh was about 9, I told her she couldn't have her belly pierced until she was 14 thinking it was years away. Now she's asked for it to be done for her birthday in a couple of weeks!

I let her have her nose done when she was 13, and to be fair to her, she has really looked after it. But is this too much?

Loads of her friends have it, and so do I, so I can't really tell her no. That's the problem, I have my nose and belly peirced (had my nipple done too, but luckily she never found out about that!), and I have 4 tattoos, so I can never really say that she can't get these things done when she is old enough.

The tattoo parlour/piercing place I go will do a belly at 13 with parents permission.

Be honest with me - is she too young at 14? And if she is, how do I tell her without her hating me forever! Or is 14 okay to have this done - after all, it's only a belly piercing and not a tatt, and it can come out if there's any problem. Am I making a big deal out of nothing?

Please be honest - c'mon, don't hold back with your opinions - I need the help!!!!

Im sorry amanda ( don't wanna upset you) but WAY to young in my opinion!!!

Sowweeee .... Its not the sort of thing i'd like to see on a young girl, i think if they want it done they should be old enough to walk in there without there parent to do it!

soz babes
xxx

Don't apologise Imi - I want people to be honest, that's why I asked! :hugs:

if shes willing to go through the pain, and has looked after the one she has i honestly dont see it being a problem hun. Up here their is girls as young as 11 got theirs done. I personally wouldnt get it done as im too scared lol

xxxxx

i think shes definitely to young,i have my nose and 1 tattoo , but i waited until i was much older. I think that things like that on children may give off the impression that they are older and may cause them to get some attention they cant quite handle as of yet. though she was able to look after it i dont think its quite a good idea

plus the more you allow her to do now..the harder its going to be to say no to her as she gets older

Personally i would let her get it done 14 is older now than when we were LOL
Only thing i will advise is that a couple of my friends daughters have had it done and ended up taking them out as with hormones still all over the place, everytime they were due on they would get a nasty discharge from it and they can easily get infected

I would say 18. At that age she has done most of her growing and can make her own decisions with a bit more nouse!

i would say slightly too young at 13 ! i had my belly peirced when i was 15/16 but i didnt tell my mum i was getting it done!! except it hurt so much i rang her and said "waaaaah mum can you pick me up from town, ive just had my belly button pierced and it hurts too much to walk home " lol

not sure on that one - if you said to her 14, then you are going back on what you said and she will remember it. i don't know i just dont like 'kids' going round with their midrift showing - i think it attracts the wrong sort of attention, after all she is still a child.
good luck

I can't see the problem really. If she's had her nose done already, why should her belly button be a problem? Surely the nose is a lot more visible/likely to provoke a reaction? How is a belly button any worse than ears? 99% of the time it won't be on display anyway.

I'd probably have a chat with her about the importance of taking care of a belly button piercing as they are a bit prone to being gungy if not looked after or if they catch on something.

At the end of the day, when the novelty wears off she can remove it and it'll heal in no time at all (unlike ears!). My first belly button piercing I took out for an hour and it'd healed!

Plus I agree with hypnorm, if you've said she can have it done at 14 and she's wanted it all this time, then she is pretty serious and it would be unfair to then change your mind.

I dont think 14 is too young. if you say no chances are she might get it done in secret anyways and at a not so reputable place (ive done it lol)

Also agree with Helen...

i dont think there is any thing wrong with it. piercings can be taken out. i had my lip eye brow tongue done and you would never no now. you can change your mind tattoos is a different story though i would never allow them!!

i got my belly button done at 13. my sister is 14 and very grown up. long term serious relationship all sorts she got hers peirced at 13.

if you let her get her nose done then i think belly button is fine ild be a bit more worried about the nose with it being on the face.

but belly buttons are nice sdhe will love it bless her. x

i got mine done at 14 :D(for my 14th bday lol)

i also asked 4 th bottom of my lip to be done wen i was 16(which i wasnt allowed) so done it myself!!!!.....

I am sitting on the fence sorry. I personally think 14 is too young - the midriff can be viewed as a sexual part of the body and I don't like seeing young girls with their belly showing. I am always going to say to Seren that she can have her ears done after 8 if she wants them, and anything else she will have to wait till she is at least 16, nose, midriff, lip etc. Both me and her dad have had a number of piercings but we were 16 and over when we got them.

Saying all that you did say she could have it done at 14 and like others have said she will probably remember this. She does sound very mature so perhaps if you feel uncomfortable about it still then sit her down and explain your reasons. After all you are not sying no, just not yet.

i have no problem with getting it done, i personaly would wait untill Charlie is 16, thats if she wants it. but then every childs mental age is differernt so it depends on the child.

My nan (i was rasied by her) lived in the stone age and never let me do anything or go anywhere so i rebeled alot so i could feel normal and do what all my mates were doing at my age, i moved out when i was 16 coz i just had enough of living under her strict and old fashioned rules. thats why im laid back with mine i think, i dont want to lose them the way my nan lost me.

xx

LOL I bet you can guess what I would say lol!

Personaly I would say to wait till 16, with still growing it may warp and distort still as she grows, as I know someone else this happened to. even though you can take them out they always leave scars. I used to have my eyebrow pierced and I have a permanent scar from it now. And a friend of mine had her belly button pierced 3 times, and the third one wasnt 100% straight so pulled and was uncomfortable so she had to take it out, and now the whole area is ruined by scars.

Also you might want to be carefull as if you cave on this and she gets it done as 'mummy has one' the next thing she will be asking you for is a tattoo!

My nan (i was rasied by her) lived in the stone age and never let me do anything or go anywhere so i rebeled alot so i could feel normal and do what all my mates were doing at my age, i moved out when i was 16 coz i just had enough of living under her strict and old fashioned rules. thats why im laid back with mine i think, i dont want to lose them the way my nan lost me.

xx

i no what you mean hun, i was ok my mum was pretty laid back. but my friend wa never able to come out to play no one could stay round hers she wa not able to have a boyfriend till she was 18. o what did she do??? she ran away at 17 got pregnant and now hates her parent a they took her childhood away.

i can understand that, moving out when i was 16 was hard but worth it coz i got to me myself.

I bet your really close to your mum now arnt you?

x

yeah we are very close like best friends so i really wanted my children young so i could be to them like she was with me.

she was very strict if i was naughty. once i stole a milky bar and was grounded for 3 months. never leaved the house only for school!!!!!
one thing she was strict about was me shaving my legs i was not able to till i was 16 and i hated it, i remeber it all to this day.
but i was here first so jit was trail and error with me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->