Ben David Mitchell 1/8/09

elley_baby248

Mummy to Ben and Pregnant
Reaction score
Ok so this may be long so sorry in advance :blush:

Ben was due on the 27th July that day came and went without a glimmer of the impending arrival i'd been the midwife and had a sweep as well (jeez they really aren't nice), the 28th arrived and i decided i'd go shopping for the day to cheer myself up and well i'd decided i was in this for the long haul and he wasn't going to appear any time soon so i was safe having a wander around town.

Walking round tow i started to get really bad Braxton Hicks they were definately the most uncomfortable ones i had had so far so i went home shotly after they started they carried on all night but in the end turned out to be nothing. The same happened the next day as i was walking to the shop to pick up a few bits ecept this time they got that bad i wanted to cry :cry: i rang OH and told him what was happening when i finally got home and then spent the rest of the day eating junk food and watching tele thinking nothing of the pains i had.

4.25am on the 30th July i woke up thinking i needed a pee so i pulled myself out of bed well half out of bed before feeling lots of liquid escape and thining i'd peed myself. I leaned back slightly and the gushing stopped i was really convinced i had peed myself so i went to get out of bed again and it did again so i sat there for a second and then turned to my oh and woke him up and said "i think my waters have broke" the poor guy was half asleep and really wasn't expecting me to say that i don't think. I just got up out of bed and waddled to the toilet to sort myself out. I decided to go back to bed and get some more sleep figured by this time i was going to need it soon :dohh: poor chris was sat there in shock i think and all he said was "so what do we do now" i just said "wait"

I managed to get absolutely no sleep whatsoever as the contractions started at 4.55am they weren't painful just uncomfortable i layed there for an hour or so before i decided to phone the hospital. I rang them and they asked me to come in to check it was my waters (it definately wasn't going to be anything else i could never pee that much!) i then rang my mum and told her what was going on so got everything ready jumped in the car and off we went nipped to my mums before hand to get her work badge so i didnt have to pay in the car park (that pass turned out to be a life saver in the end with the length of time we were there.)

When we got to the hospital they did all the usual checks BP, temp blah blah blah and then stuck me on one of those god awful monitors for a bit to check everything was ok then said it's all ok you can go home till your contractions get longer and closer together :happydance: so we went to my mums as she lives 5 mins down the road and stayed there for a bit after an hour it was all getting a bit painful and my contractions were coming every 2 minutes so i got in the bath to see if it helped it did for a minute or 2 then i was fed up so i had to get out i wanted to go home back to my house and my pets and things i felt comfortable around but that was't going to happen yet. I went back to the hospital and they put me back on the monitor and my contractions were indeed coming closer together but they weren't long enough so i was told i could go home again :dohh: they did give me 2 paracetemol for the pain though which i thought was nice of them :growlmad:

At home i managed with no pain relief whatsoever i spent the day laying on the sofa playing on facebook or asleep in the bath because it was the only place it didn't hurt as much and obviously cooking was out of the question so Domino's it was :blush: how healthy was i :nope:

I managed till about 4.30am on the 31st of july but by then i was in agony leaning over my window sill crying wishing it was all over. Chris asked if i wanted to go back to the hospital because i was in pain but i said no i may as well wait till 8am when i had to go back to be induced as my waters had been gone for over 24 hours by then so i did wait.

We got to the hospital at 8am and put on the ward on the stupid monitor again i got told i would get an internal and then given the tablets to start me dilating so at about 9am i got the internal and got tod i didn't need the tablets as i was already 3cm's dilate so i would go down to the delivery suite and would be put on the drip :nope: before that though i had to eat so i went off the ward found my mum and we went to get some breakfast in the canteen.

On the delivery suite i was put in a room and the loveliest midwife ever came i and explained that i was going to be given a hormone to speed everything up. I got changed into a sexy hospital gown and my IV was put in and i was given the hormone drip, antibiotics (because my waters had been gone for 24+ hours) and also something called hartmaans solutions because i needed flui as i hadn't drank much in the entire time i'd been in labour and that was it the wait really began.

Every hour my drip was turned up and i was soon on the highest amount i could be given and all the pain relief i had was the 2 paracetemol the day before :wacko: i ended u sending my mum to McD's as i was starving and so was Chris so i sat there hooked up to a drip having contractions left right and centre eating a Quarter punder from McD's happy as larry my mum chris and the midwife were still picking on me and being mean lol! saying i was a bit mental because i just wouldn't complain about the pain or anything else.

We were heading towards midnight before i thought that pain was getting a bit to much and was given gas and air (omg that stuff is great) but it did make me bring up my McD's i was gutted! Everyone was shocked i was still there they thought i'd of had Ben by then.

1st August i got a new midwife as my other had finished her shift. the new one was no where near as nice but she was straight to the point which by then is what i needed she said it how it was and just did wha needed to be done. At 1am i asked for an epidural because i was knackered i had had no sleep since my waters had broke except for an hour i got in the bath. i was told the aneasthetist was busy so i would have to wait but could have pethadine while i was waiting which was fine by me so i waitied and waited and waited by 6am i still hadn't had my epidural and was having 7 contractions in 10minutes!

Then the consultant came in i knew already what e was going to say and i was right he had decided it was way to dangerous for me to carry on and i would need a C section as i was only dilating 1cm in 4 hours so if i was still adamant to do it naturally i would have atleast another 16 hours to go because after 54 hours i had only got to 6cm's!! The baby was perfectly fine and coping well his trace was textbook it was just me they were worried about as i was anaemic as well.

My mum as worried but relieved that it was going to be over soon and chris was absolutely petrified he didnt want to leave the room not even for a second to tell his mum what was going on till i told him i would be fine and it was ok so he went to the car and rang his mum apparently he just cried his eyes out because he was so scared something was going to hapen to us and because he had seen me in pain for so long even his mum cried.

The drip got turned off :happydance: so my contractions slowed right down and basically stopped and i was prepped for my section chris was taken to get ready.

I was taken to theatre twice the first time i had to go back because someone had decided that a train track was a good place to fall asleep and had there arm and leg ripped off by a freight train so the anaesthetist was a bit busy in A&E saving his life. 2nd time lucky i was taken in given a spinal and chris was brought in it all seemed to be going ok until i got this awful pain right through my head and my BP dropped massively. Chris was moved out the way and i was given stuff to reverse the spinal and to save my life basically because my body had a reaction to the amount of stuff i was given then it was all systems go to get ben out and me stitched up before the spinal wore off. Chris was soon back next to me looking like a rabbit caught in the headights when the next thing we know ben was out and the midwife was holding him for us to look at before taking him to get checked over he was soon back and in the arms of his daddy who looked completely shocked it was all real and finally over.

So at 10.54am on the 1st August 2009 it was all finally over and my little boy was born weighing 8lb12oz.

The reason i never progressed in labour i don't know but i do know that even if i had got to 10cm's there was no way i was going to be able to give irth naturally as his head was to big to fit through my pelvis :shrug:

I was hoping that would be the end of my ordeal but how wrong was i. I ended up having a blood transfusion after losing a third of my blood during my section i also ended up with a serious infection in my arm where the IV had been which then travelled to my C section cut and then i developed an absess on my back all within a week of giving birth oh and the staples that were put in to secure my cut where done to tight and also one was mis-aliged and put directly into the open cut :nope:

So all in all not the best of deliveries BUT the actual labour wasn't as bad as i thought it would be and i would do absolutely everything again in a second if i got something so perfect again at the end of it! :cloud9:

60+ hours awake makes you look BAD!
https://photos-b-5.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs127.snc1/5456_1134872145663_1643105480_334721_2465609_n.jpg

https://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs162.snc1/6053_118746406724_666841724_2451735_1367885_n.jpg

https://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs162.snc1/6053_118746421724_666841724_2451738_1620503_n.jpg

https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs162.snc1/6053_113025101724_666841724_2370877_1492027_n.jpg

https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs162.snc1/6053_113877861724_666841724_2382069_1151848_n.jpg

https://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs162.snc1/6053_113877911724_666841724_2382079_5603794_n.jpg

Congratulations - hes gorgeous!
I thought that was so sweet, your OH crying to his mum he was so worried.
Hope the infection is all cleared up now.

Absolutly gorgeous - and great name :p

xxxxxxxxx

Congrats hun!
He's adorable!
And I just love that onesie!!

Thanks hun a friend on your side of the world sent it to us before he was born lol

What a story!! Congrats hon, he's gorgeous xxx

gongrats he is gorgeous!
x

You should be very proud of yourself. Your little boy is absoulutly beautiful.

congrats

Thanks for sharing and congratulations! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->