Benadryl - this is worth a try

lori

Mom to Simon & Oliver
Reaction score
I just wanted to share something with you guys that I think worked for me (twice!!). Benadryl just might be magic.

https://www.drugtalk.com/benadryl/drugthread.php/t-527712.html

When I read this, it made a lot of sense to me and I remembered that I had taken Benadryl during the 2ww the first time I got my bfp (which unfortunately ended in mc at 12 weeks) after trying for quite a while. I took 25 mg three times a day from 4-10dpo this cycle, and it worked!!

Of course it might have been because of something else I was doing (baby aspirin, preseed, green tea, raspberry leaf tea, progesterone cream, instead cups, robitussin, and drinking insane amounts of water) or it could just be coincidence, but it might be worth a try.

I won't lie to you, I was friggin exhausted taking Benadryl around the clock, but it was worth it. I hope this can help someone else.:thumbup:

i find this really interesting so if i oved to day would i start taking it wed??? do you think it really works?

Wow I'm really glad you posted, I've bought EPO, Vit B complex and Benilyn chesty coughs (you know the one from the ad with the gremlin on his chest lol) I've read one of the ingredients loosens CM too and makes it friendlier to sperm. I'm deffo going to keep it up now!

That is really interesting. Many women have recurrent miscarriages due to a anitbody reaction to the baby. PCOS may be caused by inflammation based on many recent medical studies. Makes sense that Benadryl might help with implantation and it is safe during pregnancy.

I can't say for sure that it works, but I was using it both times I got my bfp (when NOTHING else was working). I figure the cost is next to nothing, and 25g 3x daily is less than the recommended dose, so it's worth a shot.

ttcgeordie, you're right, if you Ov'd today, you'd start it Wednesday.
Katieri, I'm not sure if Benylin is the same. Make sure there are no other ingredients besides benadryl, because some of the stuff in those syrups cause birth defects and probably shouldn't be taken during the 2ww. I'd also make sure that if the main ingredient is benadryl, you're not taking more than 25 mg, because I was damn tired just taking that much and I know I would have quit if Id been taking a higher dose.

I don't mean to poop the party but this look like an american lady on american Benadryl in the uk a different antihistamine seems to be used in theis drug.
Info care of wikapedia. Not the most sound info but can be checked.
UK products https://www.allergyadvice.co.uk/products/benadryl-range.aspx
US products https://www.benadryl.com/#/Adult_Products/Allergy-ULTRATAB/

Good luck Ladies

Molly85

I don't mean to poop the party but this look like an american lady on american Benadryl in the uk a different antihistamine seems to be used in theis drug.
Info care of wikapedia. Not the most sound info but can be checked.
UK products https://www.allergyadvice.co.uk/products/benadryl-range.aspx
US products https://www.benadryl.com/#/Adult_Products/Allergy-ULTRATAB/

Good luck Ladies

Molly85

That's really interesting, I didn't realize that benadryl involved different ingredients depending on where you live. I used the one with the active ingredient diphenhydramine

I think thats the American 1.
I was just intrested as we only usually us 2 antihystamines in this country and they are 1 a day ones in general.
Maybe it's that particular 1.
I'll keep this in mind for a later date.

(i enjoy reading the BNF at work so have a liitle unfair advantage)
Molly85

Personally I wouldnt use it, specifically the drug named diphenhydramine, there isnt enough studies to show that it doesnt do any harm, there is some studies however that show links to cleft palate and uterine contractions. Im sure the small dose that was taken for a short period of time probably hasnt had any effect but you never know how an individuals body will react, some people just process things in different ways. If it aint broken I wouldnt be trying to fix anything and just let nature take its course.

LOL your canadian no wander you have a different batch to us.

Molly85

I just wanted to share something with you guys that I think worked for me (twice!!). Benadryl just might be magic.

When I read this, it made a lot of sense to me and I remembered that I had taken Benadryl during the 2ww the first time I got my bfp (which unfortunately ended in mc at 12 weeks) after trying for quite a while. I took 25 mg three times a day from 4-10dpo this cycle, and it worked!!

Of course it might have been because of something else I was doing (baby aspirin, preseed, green tea, raspberry leaf tea, progesterone cream, instead cups, robitussin, and drinking insane amounts of water) or it could just be coincidence, but it might be worth a try.

I won't lie to you, I was friggin exhausted taking Benadryl around the clock, but it was worth it. I hope this can help someone else.:thumbup:

My understanding is that Benadryl dries up mucus.
I was told that Robitussin or Mucinex (the originals, with no letters after them) were the things to use to increase CM.
So far, I'm just going with grapefruit juice, and if I don't hit the jackpot this month (which I probably won't), I'm prepared to try Evening Primrose Oil next cycle.
To be perfectly honest, the grapefruit juice hasn't done jack$h!t for my CM, and I drank about two gallons of it over the past week.

But, as far as Benadryl... I've taken it nightly for years, as a sleep aid. Now I've stopped (and believe you me, I'm suffering for it) because I heard the active ingredient in it dried up CM.

On a more positive note, however, some of the clinical studies I've read recently suggest that "fertile quality CM" or EWCM isn't necessarily a deal-breaker when it comes to getting pregnant.
Not every woman has it in significant amounts, especially us older chicks.
It doesn't mean you can't get pregnant, especially if you BD frequently.
I've also read anecdotal evidence to this effect, on other forums... women who are currently pregnant and who say they never had observable EWCM.

For myself, the closest I've gotten so far is very watery (but not stretchy) CM.

Grrlmom Im 41 with pretty much no cm to speak of, had it while on bc, but since of its gone awol on me!:wacko: Since ttc my third Ive managed to fall pregnant twice in 5 cycles with out anything so it certainly can be done. I tried the grapefruit juice too with no effect what so ever, lucky I didnt mind the taste! :haha:

Grrlmom Im 41 with pretty much no cm to speak of, had it while on bc, but since of its gone awol on me!:wacko: Since ttc my third Ive managed to fall pregnant twice in 5 cycles with out anything so it certainly can be done. I tried the grapefruit juice too with no effect what so ever, lucky I didnt mind the taste! :haha:

That's very reassuring to hear, thank you so much! :hugs:
I suspected my lack of CM had to do with my age, since I recall having it in the past.
Thanks for the ray of hope that a woman can get pregnant even without it.

Ahhh I didn't know any of the ingredients could cause problems, I read about the active ingredient Guaifenesin helping increase CM and make it friendlier to sperm, but after this I'm not so sure, any ideas as to what I should be using after OV to keep a decent mucus as I'm getting different opinions :S

I would be very carefull takeing medication for more than one day it can be very very harmfull !!!

I cannot belive this is being suggested without medical advice/experiance knowledge !!

Please be carefull

To clarify this is why i say the above !!!

Like many other first-generation antihistamines, diphenhydramine is a potent anticholinergic agent. This leads to profound drowsiness as a very common side-effect. Diphenhydramine has also been used as an anxiolytic because of these sedating side effects. However, other side effects include possibilities of motor impairment (ataxia), dry mouth and throat, flushed skin, rapid or irregular heartbeat (tachycardia), blurred vision at nearpoint owing to lack of accommodation (cycloplegia), abnormal sensitivity to bright light (photophobia), pupil dilation (mydriasis), urinary retention, constipation, difficulty concentrating, short-term memory loss, visual disturbances, hallucinations, irregular breathing, dizziness, irritability, itchy skin, confusion, decreased body temperature (generally in the hands and/or feet), erectile dysfunction, excitability, and delirium[10]. Some side effects such as twitching may be delayed until the drowsiness begins to cease and the person is in more of an awakening mode. Diphenhydramine also has local anesthetic properties, and has been used for patients allergic to common local anesthetics like lidocaine.[11]

The most common cardiac dysrhythmias associated with diphenhydramine overdose are sinus bradycardia, elongated S-T segment interval, and premature ventricular contraction.[citation needed]

Diphenhydramine is similar in its effects to dimenhydrinate, its 8-chlorotheophylline salt, although the latter is approximately 60% the potency in terms of required dosage and is slightly less sedating.

Some patients have an allergic reaction to diphenhydramine in the form of hives.[12][13]

Since 2002, the US FDA requires special labeling warning against using multiple products that contain diphenhydramine.[14] Diphenhydramine has been shown to build tolerance against its sedation effectiveness very quickly, with placebo-like results after a third day of common dosage.[15]

Interactions with other medicines
Check with your GP or pharmacist before you take any other medicines or herbal remedies at the same time as an antihistamine.

The antihistamine mizolastine can interact with some other medicines to cause a serious abnormal heart rhythm. This medicine is only available on prescription from your doctor, who will give you advice if you need to take it.

Be aware that alcohol can increase the sedating effects of antihistamines

The only reason it may possibly work is if your body rejects a fertilised egg and then you should be under medical supervision.
I agree with stephwiggy readig anecdotal evedence is great but you have to check with a credible source herbal or medical then make a desision.
Anyone with a degree will be able to tell you how to do this.
I have just Checked in the British National Formulary used by doctors, nurses and pharmasists and I cannot find theprimary ingredient in america Benadryl so it is either known by another name or not used here in the UK.

Good luck

Molly85

Ladies, Please do not experiment with medication for ANY reason without consulting your doctor/health professional.

To do so could be extremely dangerous to your health.

Whilst there may be 'for' and 'against' arguments that this may work is has never been tested for any reason related to ttc.

I quote baby and bumps policy on this:

Opinions expressed within messages are those of the poster and are not the views of BabyandBump or its owners. You rely on such information at your own risk and are urged to seek professional advice for specific and/or individual situations, and not rely solely on advice or opinions given in the discussions.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->