Benefit changes....

I hate how it works. I work part time (was full time but had to reduce hours when fell preg) my OH works 1 night shift a week takes home £38.44 for that shift. We're entitled to nothing. Luckily we've got family who are happy to have us live with them. But he'd be getting more money if he didn't apply for his job! He was goig through with his jsa application when he applied for his job!

We're be entitled to tax credit wen baby is here and probably housing benefit if we got a place but we can't afford the bills etc! My mat pay is ony 540 a month and our car costs a total of 300 a month!
I hope they sort this system out!

I think they are bringing in a spare room tax. Anyone who has 2 spare rooms will get 25% of their housing benefit slashed. Which I think is kind of right there are far too many people who live in a big house when they don't really need it but it could go to someone who actually needs the space. My mil was talking about it, she will have to move as she can't afford 30 a week that she will have to pay.

I think they are bringing in a spare room tax. Anyone who has 2 spare rooms will get 25% of their housing benefit slashed. Which I think is kind of right there are far too many people who live in a big house when they don't really need it but it could go to someone who actually needs the space. My mil was talking about it, she will have to move as she can't afford 30 a week that she will have to pay.

Yeah they are definitely bringing in 'bedroom tax' next year, it was talked about at my HA's agm last week and a lot of the older people around here are up in arms about it. There really is a lot of older people in my area living in 3/4 bedroom houses with only 1 bedroom occupied and lots of larger families with overcrowding problems so I think it makes sense for the older ones to downsize. They can't refuse to pay the tax as it's coming straight off their housing benefit - I thought it sounded a bit harsh at first but there is no other way when the houses are needed and the people in them don't own them. Here in Scotland council tenants still have the right to buy their homes if they were living there before a certain time at a massive discount and I know of quite a few people who are going to do this.

Yeah they are definitely bringing in 'bedroom tax' next year, it was talked about at my HA's agm last week and a lot of the older people around here are up in arms about it. There really is a lot of older people in my area living in 3/4 bedroom houses with only 1 bedroom occupied and lots of larger families with overcrowding problems so I think it makes sense for the older ones to downsize. They can't refuse to pay the tax as it's coming straight off their housing benefit - I thought it sounded a bit harsh at first but there is no other way when the houses are needed and the people in them don't own them. Here in Scotland council tenants still have the right to buy their homes if they were living there before a certain time at a massive discount and I know of quite a few people who are going to do this.
My mil is a ctually happy to move as she can't afford it but it is her and her partner who live in a huge 3 bedroom property and they have 2 spare bedroom that is used as storage so I think that is fair. I know someone who is renting a property on the same road and her rent is 120 dearer than my mil as it is private renting but a house would be perfect for her family at a reduced cost.

There are alot of bums on the system, i would love to have a job right now so i'm not tarred with the same brush, i' send out 20+ job applications a day and may hear from one or two 3 months later, and then i seem to fail at the interview stage -_- which i'm working on! I'm due in april and time is ticking away, unfortunately due to circumstance i had to leave my lasjob as they were shutting down & then i got kicked out by my ex :/ so i've only just resumed my search however i'm not going on jsa, i'll have to go on esa according to the person i saw at the jobcentre. i don't even know what that is lol.
I never thought i'd bring a child up on benefits but it seems life just doesn't want me to get anywhere at the moment :/ until baby's in nursery and i can find a part time job to fit around it.

Haha sorry turned into abit of a rant! i do dislike jsa bums who think they have it easy so i do support some of the decisions made :flower:

My neighbours don't work, chain smoke all day, just got a brand new 62 reg Galaxy and I've overheard her talking to a mate about having their third for more money and a bigger council house - I never actually believed these people exist till now.

Meanwhile, we pay double the rent she does (was on the council list and see how much the properties were) both work but OH is being made redundant and worry about our 12 yr old car and how we'd not be able to afford a new one, let alone another child and have next to nothing for ourselves once we've paid out bills etc....

The sooner this is brought in the better IMO!

In my area it's 1 spare bedroom AND if you have 2 children under 10 they are expected to share regardless of gender so for instance if we were on benefits we'd have to pay 25% even though we have a boy and a girl.

What pees me off is the people who intentionally make themselves overcrowded, if you only have a 2 bedroomed place don't have 4/5/6 kids and expect the council to house you!

Is there a link to the changes they want to bring in?
It sounds like a good start to me i thought they were going to cap ctc to 3 children and if you have anymore than 3 children you will only get the amount for 3 which i think is a good thing.

When are they thinking of introducing these new rules?

In my area it's 1 spare bedroom AND if you have 2 children under 10 they are expected to share regardless of gender so for instance if we were on benefits we'd have to pay 25% even though we have a boy and a girl.

What pees me off is the people who intentionally make themselves overcrowded, if you only have a 2 bedroomed place don't have 4/5/6 kids and expect the council to house you!

My mil said currently she is entitled to one spare room but apparently that is all to change. She is only entiled to a one bed room property now. She was upset to begin with but now she is happy to move.

You know, I try not to speculate about people I "know" I just let people live their life how they wish and try not to let it bother me. I am sure some people I know of may think the same as me. Yes my OH works but I am a SAHM and we do get tax credits we rely upon, we do have a nice house and I do have a newish car. We have those things because we are very lucky with our family. I would hate people to think I dont work because " we are quite comfortable on tax credits" because that's not true at all. I dont work for other reasons and I dont think its right to comment on someone down the street or a friend of a friend.

You know, I try not to speculate about people I "know" I just let people live their life how they wish and try not to let it bother me. I am sure some people I know of may think the same as me. Yes my OH works but I am a SAHM and we do get tax credits we rely upon, we do have a nice house and I do have a newish car. We have those things because we are very lucky with our family. I would hate people to think I dont work because " we are quite comfortable on tax credits" because that's not true at all. I dont work for other reasons and I dont think its right to comment on someone down the street or a friend of a friend.

I agree with you for the most part, we too rely upon our tax credits and child benefit these top up my part-time wages. I know people are very quick to judge others and in some cases is not all it seems on the surface. The only people that really bother me are people that are truely playing the system, I replied on another benefit thread about my step-sister who is playing the system and as she is my step-sister I know these are facts not hearsay, her own dad has reported her as have other people but she always seems to 'get away' with it, this is what really makes me angry! :flower: x

The thought of people with no reason not to work and also no intention makes me angry but its hard to judge a family if we dont know them properly xx

I see nothing wrong with a family claiming tax credits etc legitimately if at least one of them is working.

Unless circumstances are dire, i dont feel a family with 2 parents should both be unemployed.

Might write to Mr George Osbourne, he wants to find 10 billion pounds by inforcing these cuts ........ maybe we should point out that if he just asked Vodafone for the 6 billion back they owe then he is 60% of the way there! ...... just a thought!

The whole benefits system pisses me off.

It annoys me that I can't stay home with my children because OH works and we can't live on just one income (even with tax credits because we own our own home) yet families were no one works get MORE of an income and their home paid for. Makes me wonder why i bother working.

Where I am if I make any comments like this I get slaughtered for it!!!

My brother is one of these on benefits, him and his partner have 4 kids. They have more than one television all have smartphones and like 2 ps3, theyve never worked a day in their lives! These are the people that get on my nerves!
If you genuinely want to work/have a genuine reason to not be working then you are absolutely entitled to help.
Seems children have just become a meal ticket these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->